Additonal questions

  • no_antswer
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 26, 2011
      1) I would like to bury the wire, but I am concerned it may need adjusting. It seems like it would be a big headache to adjust if I dig a trench. The line placement seems pretty straight forward - Is it likely I can get it done w/o adjustment?

      2)I have a couple large trees in my front yard. I was planning on not looping them and just have the robomower bump into them. Obviously it is alot easier to loop them at the beginning than to come back later and loop them. The roots don't appear to be an obstical. Should I just go ahead and loop them in now?

      3) I have a 5-foot wide strip (very long) between my driveway and my neigbors driveway which would effectively be fed as part of my backyard zone. Do you think I need to "tunnel" into that area and make it it's own entry to make sure it gets cut or should the robot take care of it? (obviously each edge will get hit, I'm worried about the strip down the middle).

      4) If I want to keep movements between zones "automated", is there anyway not to do ALL the edges when you do any edge? In other words, my yard is so big that it is going to take a few runs to cut it all. I would rather not waste time doing the backyard edge when I am focused on getting the front yard cut (and vise versa).
    • richard gard
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 26, 2011
        Do not bury the wire. It will get covered by grass soon enough.

        Make zones 1100 SF or less. If you are worried about time then the zone is too large and the pattern will not have enough redundant areas to mow well.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
          I periodically have someone come in and aerate my lawn. I am assuming that would not work unless I buried the line?

          So if I split my front lawn into 2 zones of 4000 sf a piece, it would not cut it all in one run?

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, richard gard <richardgard@...> wrote:

          > Do not bury the wire. It will get covered by grass soon enough.
          >
          > Make zones 1100 SF or less. If you are worried about time then the zone is too large and the pattern will not have enough redundant areas to mow well.

        • Robert Silva
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
            Don't bury the wire initially. If you're anything like me, you'll be adjusting it a bit. Especially in corners. Once you're satisfied with the layout, bury away. Do not aerate the edges. Stay 2-3 feet away. Buried or not, the wire will get cut if you go over it. I cut mine in 6 places last fall (and I was being carefull). All cuts were in buried wire.

            I have long thin strips between my sidewalk and street. I mow that manually with my old gas mower.

            -Bob

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
              The wire will be covered IF grass grows there.

              If you've got a spot where no grass grows (I've got some shady spots
              under trees), obviously, the wire won't make grass grow. It still needs
              to be mowed because it still grows weeds. Weeds won't cover up the wire
              though.

              Danny

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
                So you cut buried wire by aerating? That sucks. If I break my front lawn into 2-zones, I will have a wire down the middle - I'm not sure how I can protect it?

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Robert Silva <rsilva275@...> wrote:

                > Don't bury the wire initially. If you're anything like me, you'll be adjusting it a bit. Especially in corners. Once you're satisfied with the layout, bury away. Do not aerate the edges. Stay 2-3 feet away. Buried or not, the wire will get cut if you go over it. I cut mine in 6 places last fall (and I was being carefull). All cuts were in buried wire.
                >
                > I have long thin strips between my sidewalk and street. I mow that manually with my old gas mower.
                >
                > -Bob
                >
                > On Mar 27, 2011, at 11:08 AM, "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I periodically have someone come in and aerate my lawn. I am assuming that would not work unless I buried the line?
                > >
                > > So if I split my front lawn into 2 zones of 4000 sf a piece, it would not cut it all in one run?
                > >
                > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, richard gard <richardgard@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Do not bury the wire. It will get covered by grass soon enough.
                > > >
                > > > Make zones 1100 SF or less. If you are worried about time then the zone is too large and the pattern will not have enough redundant areas to mow well.

              • Art
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
                  Get a "HoundDog" (I can't recall the exact name) stepping-edger tool at Home Depot to place your wire below the surface -- best when the ground is relatively soft but not muddy. By experimentation I found that the end of a wooden paint stirrer worked well for pushing the wire into the slit easily. HTH!

                  Sent from my iPod touch!

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
                    Two methods
                    1. Run mower on Edge and mark the wires with lime or little flags
                    2. Use liquid aerator (i do this)
                    I have the BEST lawn for blocks.

                    So you cut buried wire by aerating? That sucks. If I break my front lawn into 2-zones, I will have a wire down the middle - I'm not sure how I can protect it?

                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Robert Silva <rsilva275@...> wrote:

                    > Don't bury the wire initially. If you're anything like me, you'll be adjusting it a bit. Especially in corners. Once you're satisfied with the layout, bury away. Do not aerate the edges. Stay 2-3 feet away. Buried or not, the wire will get cut if you go over it. I cut mine in 6 places last fall (and I was being carefull). All cuts were in buried wire.
                    >
                    > I have long thin strips between my sidewalk and street. I mow that manually with my old gas mower.
                    >
                    > -Bob
                    >
                    > On Mar 27, 2011, at 11:08 AM, "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I periodically have someone come in and aerate my lawn. I am assuming that would not work unless I buried the line?
                    > >
                    > > So if I split my front lawn into 2 zones of 4000 sf a piece, it would not cut it all in one run?
                    > >
                    > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, richard gard <richardgard@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Do not bury the wire. It will get covered by grass soon enough.
                    > > >
                    > > > Make zones 1100 SF or less. If you are worried about time then the zone is too large and the pattern will not have enough redundant areas to mow well.

                  • jeff
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
                      what liquid aerator do you use? cost?

                      ________________________________
                      1. Run mower on Edge and mark the wires with lime or little flags
                      2. Use liquid aerator (i do this)
                      I have the BEST lawn for blocks.

                      So you cut buried wire by aerating? That sucks. If I break my front lawn into
                      2-zones, I will have a wire down the middle - I'm not sure how I can protect it?

                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Robert Silva <rsilva275@...> wrote:

                      > Don't bury the wire initially. If you're anything like me, you'll be adjusting
                      >it a bit. Especially in corners. Once you're satisfied with the layout, bury
                      >away. Do not aerate the edges. Stay 2-3 feet away. Buried or not, the wire will
                      >get cut if you go over it. I cut mine in 6 places last fall (and I was being
                      >carefull). All cuts were in buried wire.
                      >
                      > I have long thin strips between my sidewalk and street. I mow that manually
                      >with my old gas mower.
                      >
                      > -Bob
                      >
                      > On Mar 27, 2011, at 11:08 AM, "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I periodically have someone come in and aerate my lawn. I am assuming that
                      >would not work unless I buried the line?
                      > >
                      > > So if I split my front lawn into 2 zones of 4000 sf a piece, it would not cut
                      >it all in one run?
                      > >
                      > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, richard gard <richardgard@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Do not bury the wire. It will get covered by grass soon enough.
                      > > >
                      > > > Make zones 1100 SF or less. If you are worried about time then the zone is
                      >too large and the pattern will not have enough redundant areas to mow well.

                    • MARTY HADANK
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
                        Regarding the 5-foot strip, I'd be skeptical that the robomower will handle mowing it effectively. My guess is that it'll head into that area at an angle from the back yard, travel the short distance to the edge, back up to the other edge and then think it's in a corner since it traveled such a short distance. That'll result in it spinning in a circle to 'trim' the corner, and move on -- either out of the strip or further into it, and then begin the process over again. Chances are it'll get trapped in there and run out of battery before it every finishes the zone. It might be fun to watch, but I wouldn't spend too much time laying the wire before giving it a test run.

                        On Mar 26, 2011, at 11:26 PM, no_antswer wrote:

                        > 1) I would like to bury the wire, but I am concerned it may need adjusting. It seems like it would be a big headache to adjust if I dig a trench. The line placement seems pretty straight forward - Is it likely I can get it done w/o adjustment?
                        >
                        > 2)I have a couple large trees in my front yard. I was planning on not looping them and just have the robomower bump into them. Obviously it is alot easier to loop them at the beginning than to come back later and loop them. The roots don't appear to be an obstical. Should I just go ahead and loop them in now?
                        >
                        > 3) I have a 5-foot wide strip (very long) between my driveway and my neigbors driveway which would effectively be fed as part of my backyard zone. Do you think I need to "tunnel" into that area and make it it's own entry to make sure it gets cut or should the robot take care of it? (obviously each edge will get hit, I'm worried about the strip down the middle).
                        >
                        > 4) If I want to keep movements between zones "automated", is there anyway not to do ALL the edges when you do any edge? In other words, my yard is so big that it is going to take a few runs to cut it all. I would rather not waste time doing the backyard edge when I am focused on getting the front yard cut (and vise versa).

                      • Tom Stewart
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
                          Which liquid aerator do you use?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
                            Nature's Lawn - somebody else on this list mentioned a few years back and I have used their products since...

                            http://www.natureslawn.com/aerify.php?gclid=CJv0neKE8KcCFULf4Aod0XY4bw

                            I was also so nervous to have the drill aeration, and my soil is so hard that it wasn't successful, but Aerify has done a very good job.

                            (PS- I have financial interest in the company)
                            Richard

                            1. Run mower on Edge and mark the wires with lime or little flags
                            2. Use liquid aerator (i do this)
                            I have the BEST lawn for blocks.

                            So you cut buried wire by aerating? That sucks. If I break my front lawn into
                            2-zones, I will have a wire down the middle - I'm not sure how I can protect it?

                            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Robert Silva <rsilva275@...> wrote:

                            > Don't bury the wire initially. If you're anything like me, you'll be adjusting
                            >it a bit. Especially in corners. Once you're satisfied with the layout, bury
                            >away. Do not aerate the edges. Stay 2-3 feet away. Buried or not, the wire will
                            >get cut if you go over it. I cut mine in 6 places last fall (and I was being
                            >carefull). All cuts were in buried wire.
                            >
                            > I have long thin strips between my sidewalk and street. I mow that manually
                            >with my old gas mower.
                            >
                            > -Bob
                            >
                            > On Mar 27, 2011, at 11:08 AM, "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I periodically have someone come in and aerate my lawn. I am assuming that
                            >would not work unless I buried the line?
                            > >
                            > > So if I split my front lawn into 2 zones of 4000 sf a piece, it would not cut
                            >it all in one run?
                            > >
                            > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, richard gard <richardgard@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Do not bury the wire. It will get covered by grass soon enough.
                            > > >
                            > > > Make zones 1100 SF or less. If you are worried about time then the zone is
                            >too large and the pattern will not have enough redundant areas to mow well.

                          • Richard Gard
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
                              I have an end of a yard that is 6x12 - my old RL550 does fine, and so does my RL850

                              if you have a skinny strip someplace, just drive the robomower over it once in a while. or weed whack it once in a while.

                              Regarding the 5-foot strip, I'd be skeptical that the robomower will handle mowing it effectively. My guess is that it'll head into that area at an angle from the back yard, travel the short distance to the edge, back up to the other edge and then think it's in a corner since it traveled such a short distance. That'll result in it spinning in a circle to 'trim' the corner, and move on -- either out of the strip or further into it, and then begin the process over again. Chances are it'll get trapped in there and run out of battery before it every finishes the zone. It might be fun to watch, but I wouldn't spend too much time laying the wire before giving it a test run.

                              On Mar 26, 2011, at 11:26 PM, no_antswer wrote:

                              > 1) I would like to bury the wire, but I am concerned it may need adjusting. It seems like it would be a big headache to adjust if I dig a trench. The line placement seems pretty straight forward - Is it likely I can get it done w/o adjustment?
                              >
                              > 2)I have a couple large trees in my front yard. I was planning on not looping them and just have the robomower bump into them. Obviously it is alot easier to loop them at the beginning than to come back later and loop them. The roots don't appear to be an obstical. Should I just go ahead and loop them in now?
                              >
                              > 3) I have a 5-foot wide strip (very long) between my driveway and my neigbors driveway which would effectively be fed as part of my backyard zone. Do you think I need to "tunnel" into that area and make it it's own entry to make sure it gets cut or should the robot take care of it? (obviously each edge will get hit, I'm worried about the strip down the middle).
                              >
                              > 4) If I want to keep movements between zones "automated", is there anyway not to do ALL the edges when you do any edge? In other words, my yard is so big that it is going to take a few runs to cut it all. I would rather not waste time doing the backyard edge when I am focused on getting the front yard cut (and vise versa).

                            • zz
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 1, 2011
                                Greetings,

                                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@...> wrote:

                                > 2)I have a couple large trees in my front yard. I was planning on not looping them and just have the robomower bump into them. Obviously it is alot easier to loop them at the beginning than to come back later and loop them. The roots don't appear to be an obstical. Should I just go ahead and loop them in now?

                                I didn't see a reply to this -- I've one tree surrounded by 2x6s (it was small when initially planted). I simply allow the mower to bounce off of it. No issues.

                                --kyle
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 4, 2011
                                  Yes, that's a good solution. You can also use landscape stones so long as
                                  they are tall enough to reliably catch the bumper.

                                  You can also sometimes let it directly bump the tree. The trouble with that
                                  is that as the tree continues to grow it will develop a "ramp" effect as the
                                  roots get larger. At some point the mower sort of "runs up the side of the
                                  tree" instead of hitting the bumper. At that point you'll have to put up
                                  the boards, stones, or wire island.

                                  Dan