Re: Large Front Lawn?

  • no_antswer
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
      Sorry - I mean 8000 square feet

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@...> wrote:

      > Hi - new to the group. My front lawn is aprox 130' X 60' (about 8000 square yards). I am considering purchasing the Robomower RL2000, but really want to understand how it would handle this kind of area. Is it just going to be one large zone? It seems like it would really struggle. Can you somehow apply the narrow pass concept to a large rectangular area?

    • richard gard
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
        7 zones... 1 per day with overnight charge.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
          So you want your zones about 1200 sf? If this cannot handle a 3000-4000 sf zone, I probably am going to pass. If I cut my front lawn into 7-zones, it will always look patchy.

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, richard gard <richardgard@...> wrote:

          > 7 zones... 1 per day with overnight charge.

        • Tom Stewart
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
            I was told that the average Robomower user cuts 8,000 sf of grass.  I used to cut 20,000 square feet with and RL1000.  I divided the lawn into 4 zones. Front lawn was approximately 5,000 ft2 and one zone.  The back yard was the remaining 15k, and divided into 3 zones I used 2 batteries packs and automotive battery chargers to keep both packs charged.  The mower did a great job on the lawn, looked much better then cut with a riding mower.  I think you could divide your front lawn into 2 zones, and cut the lawn.  I was never able to totally eliminate the the uncut strip of grass between the zone and had to manually mow that area with a weed wacker.

            Mine was not a complete hands off operation.  Sometimes I would use the second battery pack to finish a zone, but it is much more pleasurable watching Robomower then riding a mower.  And of course you can read, surf the web, etc. while you are mowing.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
              I found 1100-1200 SF to give the perfect cut in under 2 hours. This will mean the batteries never discharge more 60% a key value to get years of use (and low cost). I use 2 mowers and have 5 years use of a battery pack

              I was told that the average Robomower user cuts 8,000 sf of grass.  I used to cut 20,000 square feet with and RL1000.  I divided the lawn into 4 zones. Front lawn was approximately 5,000 ft2 and one zone.  The back yard was the remaining 15k, and divided into 3 zones I used 2 batteries packs and automotive battery chargers to keep both packs charged.  The mower did a great job on the lawn, looked much better then cut with a riding mower.  I think you could divide your front lawn into 2 zones, and cut the lawn.  I was never able to totally eliminate the the uncut strip of grass between the zone and had to manually mow that area with a weed wacker.

              Mine was not a complete hands off operation.  Sometimes I would use the second battery pack to finish a zone, but it is much more pleasurable watching Robomower then riding a mower.  And of course you can read, surf the web, etc. while you are mowing.
              So you want your zones about 1200 sf? If this cannot handle a 3000-4000 sf zone, I probably am going to pass. If I cut my front lawn into 7-zones, it will always look patchy.

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, richard gard <richardgard@...> wrote:

              > 7 zones... 1 per day with overnight charge.

            • Ben Sporl
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
                The RL2000 will easily handle your yard with one zone. According to the
                Robomower web site the RL will handle 13K to 17K sq ft. Program to run twice a
                week.

                A cheaper route is the RL850 which handles 10K sq feet but it doesn't have a
                docking station.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
                  "Robomower web site the RL will handle 13K to 17K sq ft"

                  I don't think it could do this from a single charge? My understanding is you want to size your zones so that they can be completely cut on a single charge.

                • rowell@mindspring.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                    My experience with robomow is that the more often you mow, the better the result. I mow less frequently in the spring until my St. Augustine grass starts to really grow. Then I mow twice a week or more at the peak of growing season. A bigger area just means it takes longer to get every random patch with it's mowing pattern.

                    Why not set it to run every day for larger areas? So what if it works around the clock to keep up with the grass. It's a robot. That's it's job. Anything is better than pushing or riding a gas mower. I personally like the idea of using two robomows simultaneously but I've not tried it.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                      Just a suggestion, but for better battery maintenance be sure you allow the
                      battery to fully charge. Twenty hours may not do that (20 is all you can
                      count on if you mow every day). I suggest setting the mow schedule so that
                      it starts after 30 or so hours on the dock.

                      Yes, you can set it to mow every day. I've done it in the past, but if
                      possible I'd avoid it. Starting in the morning one day, then the afternoon
                      the next day, then morning on the fourth day. (as an example) still lets you
                      mow pretty often.

                      Dan

                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                        So with your idea of mowing all the time, would you split your grass into zones, or just have 1 giant zone? I have about 8000sf front yard and a 3000sf back yard, I'm leaning toward 2 zones in the Front and two Zones in the back, but I could connect it in one giant zone.

                        I'm struggling as to which is the most efficient. By efficeient, I guess it is "wear and tear" on the mower? I saw somewhere that it cuts abou 1500sf per hour. It seems like you can really only count on 2-3 hours on a charge. Is it better to let the thing run wild, or box it into zones? There is probably an "optimal" sized zone?

                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, rowell@... wrote:

                        > My experience with robomow is that the more often you mow, the better the result. I mow less frequently in the spring until my St. Augustine grass starts to really grow. Then I mow twice a week or more at the peak of growing season. A bigger area just means it takes longer to get every random patch with it's mowing pattern.
                        >
                        > Why not set it to run every day for larger areas? So what if it works around the clock to keep up with the grass. It's a robot. That's it's job. Anything is better than pushing or riding a gas mower. I personally like the idea of using two robomows simultaneously but I've not tried it.
                        >

                        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > So you want your zones about 1200 sf? If this cannot handle a 3000-4000 sf zone, I probably am going to pass. If I cut my front lawn into 7-zones, it will always look patchy.
                        > >
                        > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, richard gard <richardgard@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > 7 zones... 1 per day with overnight charge.

                      • Eric
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                          I actually do use two Robomowers to mow my yard. It gets the yard finished
                          a lot quicker and also is easier on the batteries since they are not as
                          discharged when the yard is finished. But you much what out when running
                          two together. I have had occasions where one mower will be in a corner
                          beginning to work its way out and the other come at it and shove the one in
                          the corner over the wire. Sometimes they just don't play well together when
                          they get into corners together. Here where I live it gets so hot that I
                          avoid mowing in the peak of the afternoon (when temps are around 95 to 100
                          degrees) in the direct sunlight because it seems to be extremely hard on the
                          mowers batteries and the LCD displays turn dark due to them getting so hot.
                          So I usually let them mow in the early evening when it is a bit cooler but I
                          have to watch out and not be too late due to dew developing on the grass and
                          sticking to the underside. The dew also keeps me from mowing in early
                          morning as well.

                          My experience with robomow is that the more often you mow, the better the
                          result. I mow less frequently in the spring until my St. Augustine grass
                          starts to really grow. Then I mow twice a week or more at the peak of
                          growing season. A bigger area just means it takes longer to get every random
                          patch with it's mowing pattern.

                          Why not set it to run every day for larger areas? So what if it works around
                          the clock to keep up with the grass. It's a robot. That's it's job. Anything
                          is better than pushing or riding a gas mower. I personally like the idea of
                          using two robomows simultaneously but I've not tried it.

                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                          "no_antswer" <qwerty3656@...> wrote:

                          > So you want your zones about 1200 sf? If this cannot handle a 3000-4000 sf
                          zone, I probably am going to pass. If I cut my front lawn into 7-zones, it
                          will always look patchy.

                          > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                          richard gard <richardgard@> wrote:

                          > > 7 zones... 1 per day with overnight charge.

                        • Tim Wolff
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                            I have 3 800 series mowers and 5 zones. I cut non-adjacent zones at the same time. The front yard is the largest zone and I usually drive a mower that has just finished another zone to the front and turn it loose. Nothing unusual. They both complete the programmed run time and stay inside the perimeter. They collide on occasion and go bounding off in different directions.
                            Batteries have gotten expensive since I picked up my first mower ~ 8 years ago. I try to go easy on the batteries by charging each battery in the pack separately and avoid running them until the mower stops with a recharge battery message.
                            Tim

                            > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: rowell@...
                            > Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:45:14 +0000
                            > Subject: [RoboMower] Re: Large Front Lawn?

                            . I personally like the idea of using two robomows simultaneously but I've not tried it.

                          • Richard Gard
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                              I tried running mowers in the same zone and it works well with some fun bumping, but it is much better used of battery time to simultaneously run them in non-adjacent zones.

                              Richard

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                                I just got off the phone with someone from Probotics (apparently they are the support for robomow). He suggested I just keep the whole thing (front and back) in one zone. He thought it would do the whole yard in 2 cuts (i.e. cut on Monday, cut again on Tuesday). He also was not a fan of burying the wire.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 28, 2011
                                  wow. the new models must be very much improved over our little old RL550s!

                                  Richard
                                  waiting for my grass to green up now if we just warm up a bit more.