RE: [RoboMower] Re: Gearbox diagram?

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
      Yea. Big Brother needs to post the correct maintenance manuals and make
      them available. Likewise parts at reasonable cost.

      These things need support and maintenance and "the plan" I think they had in
      mind (support vendors) just won't work unless they're local. Having to ship
      these things for normal repair/maintenance is completely unreasonable. I
      guess it sounded good at the time, but it just isn't reasonable.

      It might have worked if they'd got shops to sign up all over the country,
      but they didn't (and they won't).

      Dan

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 2, 2010
        I don't quite get how it's supposed to move, nor how it cuts.

        http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/robomower

        I especially don't understand the point of it leaving compressed-grass
        turds behind it, made into cute shapes.

        I'm guessing this is one of those "concept" designs that will never get
        produced?

        Danny
      • Frans
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2010
          Is not this message a tad out of topic??

          Apart from that: if you take a good look at the second picture you will notice that you can put the "turds" to several kinds of higher order use.

          1. chair-like device to sit on

          2. to play ball with.

          At your service,

          Frans van der Voorde

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

          > I don't quite get how it's supposed to move, nor how it cuts.
          >
          > http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/robomower
          >
          > I especially don't understand the point of it leaving compressed-grass
          > turds behind it, made into cute shapes.
          >
          > I'm guessing this is one of those "concept" designs that will never get
          > produced?
          >
          > Danny

        • Ben Sporl
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 3, 2010
            You supposed to pick up the pucks afterwords? Kinda weird.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
              I think $40 for replacement gears including bearings is very reasonable. And that's after 900+ hours of bumping into things and swimming in my pool once. Other than that, I've replaced my battery once and removed a broken external charger cable that runs to the controller.

              The dunk in the pool last year has oxidized all the shiny parts inside. The gearbox shafts are rusted and the circuit boards are hazy. Still runs strong, for now.

              -Bob

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
                Yes, $40 for a full set of gears is reasonable.

                I’ve priced mowing motors… not so much. Our local electrical shop could replace the bearings if they could get the pinion off and back on, but they can’t.

                The front wheel assembly is also on the “routine replacement” list. Wasn’t cheap.

                To be honest, it’s been a while since I replaced mowing motors so maybe they’ve adjusted them to a more reasonable price.

                Dan

                On Sep 24, 2010, at 8:37 PM, "Dan Barclay" <Dan@... <mailto:Dan%40BarclaySoftware.com> > wrote:

                > Yea. Big Brother needs to post the correct maintenance manuals and make
                > them available. Likewise parts at reasonable cost.
                >
                > These things need support and maintenance and "the plan" I think they had in
                > mind (support vendors) just won't work unless they're local. Having to ship
                > these things for normal repair/maintenance is completely unreasonable. I
                > guess it sounded good at the time, but it just isn't reasonable.
                >
                > It might have worked if they'd got shops to sign up all over the country,
                > but they didn't (and they won't).
                >
                > Dan

              • Iggy
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 5, 2010
                  Sitting on grass clippings that are in shape of a disk? The grass better be pressed very well and dry. But to press the grass it needs to be wet/moist and a lot of pressure is needed. To dry it will require a lot of energy from the mower. I doubt this can be feasible at all. Plus, if this thing 'poops' them out, it better have some built in mechanism to avoid them when mowing.

                  Strange, yet shows people are thinking...

                  IGGY