[RoboMower] Forsale RL500

  • David Sparks
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
      I have two RL500s for sale. One only needs a batteries. It has the updated OS
      chip. The other one has no batteries, but works at times. If I unplug the main
      connector and plug it back in, it works for a while.

      Call David at 469-569-3445

      $250 for both. It comes with the book and perimeter box.

      Located in Little Elm, TX. Pick up only.

    • Douglas B. George
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
        On 2010-09-20 11:08 AM, Dirt Nap wrote:
        > The mover that was killed with the reverse polarity can be fixed by
        > replacing the main board. The mower with the drive issue I would do
        > diagnostic testing on it before trying to narrow it down

        Okay... what diagnostic tests can be run, and how do you do it?

        Doug
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
          Mine had long been doing the "drunken mower" routine where it veers
          off to one side, then turns back and veers the other way, instead of a
          clean straight line.
          It didn't have a problem being manually driven straight.

          I went into the Service menu and had it recalibrate the Direction
          Keeper. I hadn't done that since the initial setup- and now it goes
          straight!

          Danny

          On 9/20/2010 1:37 PM, Douglas B. George wrote:
          > On 2010-09-20 11:08 AM, Dirt Nap wrote:
          >> The mover that was killed with the reverse polarity can be fixed by
          >> replacing the main board. The mower with the drive issue I would do
          >> diagnostic testing on it before trying to narrow it down
          > Okay... what diagnostic tests can be run, and how do you do it?
          >
          > Doug

        • Doug
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
            I cut a hole in the top of all my battery packs and mounted an XLR connector. It's wired to access both batteries separately. Then I picked up two BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulphators (1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117) when they were on sale at Northern Tool. I wired them together to plug into the XLR receptacle.

            So now I have a fast external charger with conditioning that does both batteries in the pack individually.

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "leecee01" <leecee01@...> wrote:

            > I posted this message several days ago but don't see it, so here goes again. What is your opinion on the cost of the external chargers. Mine just died and I need a new one but the cost has gone from under a hundred dollars several years ago to about $170 today. Can't understand why so expensive. (Cost more than the batteries) Anyone know where to get one cheaper.
            > Carollee

          • jeff
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
              What is th ebutton sequence to recalibrate it? Mine drives "drunk" sometimes
              too!

              ________________________________
              Mine had long been doing the "drunken mower" routine where it veers
              off to one side, then turns back and veers the other way, instead of a
              clean straight line.
              It didn't have a problem being manually driven straight.

              I went into the Service menu and had it recalibrate the Direction
              Keeper. I hadn't done that since the initial setup- and now it goes
              straight!

              Danny

              On 9/20/2010 1:37 PM, Douglas B. George wrote:
              > On 2010-09-20 11:08 AM, Dirt Nap wrote:
              >> The mover that was killed with the reverse polarity can be fixed by
              >> replacing the main board. The mower with the drive issue I would do
              >> diagnostic testing on it before trying to narrow it down
              > Okay... what diagnostic tests can be run, and how do you do it?
              >
              > Doug

            • jeff
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                I have a Battery minder. Is it true unless I do what oyu did that I must charge
                each batter seperately and outside of the cradle?

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                  Service-> 12321->DK Calibration, IIRC.

                  Make sure you have the mower on a level, highly tractionable surface
                  like concrete or a deck. Note that a driveway is always sloped to drain
                  water so you might want to look for something flatter, sidewalks are
                  often flatter.

                  Danny

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                    You don’t have to charge them separately if you get a battery minder that is for 24v systems.

                    I bought one for my airplane… I’ve never used it on my airplane, I always have it hooked up to my extra mower batteries <g>.

                    The 24v minders are a bit more expensive, but not as flexible as splitting to allow you to use 12v minders. With the 12v you can always use it on your car if you want. In addition, if you get a 24v you might want to get the non-aviation model. The aviation model is tweaked a little for aviation usage… more to increase battery life than charge. The final charge level is slightly lower than other chargers I think.

                    Dan

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                      But this does not provide the superior balancing of two 12v chargers
                      (with a modified 3-wire pack).

                      The difference is that with two batteries in series, the charger might
                      be designed to shut off at 13.8v/batt, but it's added up. They might be
                      14v and 13.6v and the 24v charger wouldn't know the difference between
                      that and an even 13.8v and 13.8v.

                      Danny

                      On 9/20/2010 4:16 PM, Dan Barclay wrote:
                      > You don’t have to charge them separately if you get a battery minder that is for 24v systems.
                      >

                      > I bought one for my airplane… I’ve never used it on my airplane, I always have it hooked up to my extra mower batteries<g>.
                      >

                      > The 24v minders are a bit more expensive, but not as flexible as splitting to allow you to use 12v minders. With the 12v you can always use it on your car if you want. In addition, if you get a 24v you might want to get the non-aviation model. The aviation model is tweaked a little for aviation usage… more to increase battery life than charge. The final charge level is slightly lower than other chargers I think.
                      >

                      > Dan

                    • jeff
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                        I know they are balance and not to be grinded but how about a file to just clean
                        and put an edge back on? Lots of grass gunk and only 1 year old

                        ________________________________
                        But this does not provide the superior balancing of two 12v chargers
                        (with a modified 3-wire pack).

                        The difference is that with two batteries in series, the charger might
                        be designed to shut off at 13.8v/batt, but it's added up. They might be
                        14v and 13.6v and the 24v charger wouldn't know the difference between
                        that and an even 13.8v and 13.8v.

                        Danny

                        On 9/20/2010 4:16 PM, Dan Barclay wrote:
                        > You don’t have to charge them separately if you get a battery minder that is
                        >for 24v systems.
                        >

                        > I bought one for my airplane… I’ve never used it on my airplane, I always have
                        >it hooked up to my extra mower batteries<g>.
                        >

                        > The 24v minders are a bit more expensive, but not as flexible as splitting to
                        >allow you to use 12v minders. With the 12v you can always use it on your car if
                        >you want. In addition, if you get a 24v you might want to get the non-aviation
                        >model. The aviation model is tweaked a little for aviation usage… more to
                        >increase battery life than charge. The final charge level is slightly lower than
                        >other chargers I think.
                        >

                        > Dan

                      • Richard Gard
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                          I clean out the blade wells, clean the blades, and use a file to put a little edge and remove any knicks at least every 2 or 3 weeks.  It is not a perfect job, maybe 85%.  It makes a big difference to my lawn, especially if I am getting brown edge on the cut because the blades are pulling more than cutting.

                          ~R in Connecticut

                          I know they are balance and not to be grinded but how about a file to just clean
                          and put an edge back on? Lots of grass gunk and only 1 year old

                          ________________________________
                          But this does not provide the superior balancing of two 12v chargers
                          (with a modified 3-wire pack).

                          The difference is that with two batteries in series, the charger might
                          be designed to shut off at 13.8v/batt, but it's added up. They might be
                          14v and 13.6v and the 24v charger wouldn't know the difference between
                          that and an even 13.8v and 13.8v.

                          Danny

                          On 9/20/2010 4:16 PM, Dan Barclay wrote:
                          > You don’t have to charge them separately if you get a battery minder that is
                          >for 24v systems.
                          >

                          > I bought one for my airplane… I’ve never used it on my airplane, I always have
                          >it hooked up to my extra mower batteries<g>.
                          >

                          > The 24v minders are a bit more expensive, but not as flexible as splitting to
                          >allow you to use 12v minders. With the 12v you can always use it on your car if
                          >you want. In addition, if you get a 24v you might want to get the non-aviation
                          >model. The aviation model is tweaked a little for aviation usage… more to
                          >increase battery life than charge. The final charge level is slightly lower than
                          >other chargers I think.
                          >

                          > Dan

                        • Robert Silva
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                            I have my blades sharpened professionally every year and do touch-ups periodically with a hand sharpener gizmo.

                            -Bob

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                              As long as they are “sister batteries” (all batts used in battery packs should stay together from birth to death) it shouldn’t matter much.

                              It’s like looking for 12 - 2volt chargers. That is… it’s better but not enough better to matter a lot in the long run.

                              For folks who swap batteries between packs, yea it can matter.

                              Dan

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                We're talking about batteries. You're talking about blades.

                                The prohibition against blade sharpening had long since been busted.
                                It's actually a great idea to use a knife sharpener on the blades
                                regularly. If you are skilled with a file or grinding stone, by all
                                means use those, just don't try to change the bevel angle to something
                                thinner than it was designed as.

                                Danny

                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                  Given the issues in lead-acid quality, the matching of "sister
                                  batteries" is not all that consistent.

                                  But yeah there's 6 cells in each battery anyways. Some people got the
                                  idea there's stacks of places inside running back-to-back, but no,
                                  they're 6 isolated pockets inside the case with no physical connection
                                  except the busbar. They don't share acid. There's no balancing inside
                                  a pack.

                                  Actually a charge balancer doesn't resolve all problems with mismatched
                                  batteries, either. If you're running them all the way down, the weaker
                                  batt can be driven to a much lower voltage than intended if the other
                                  batt still has a strong voltage on it. A balancer won't address
                                  discharge issues.

                                  But, there is SOME value in two 12v chargers. It's not all that
                                  absolute is all.

                                  Danny

                                • Christopher Zach
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                    Danny Miller wrote:
                                    > But this does not provide the superior balancing of two 12v chargers
                                    > (with a modified 3-wire pack).
                                    >
                                    > The difference is that with two batteries in series, the charger might
                                    > be designed to shut off at 13.8v/batt, but it's added up. They might be
                                    > 14v and 13.6v and the 24v charger wouldn't know the difference between
                                    > that and an even 13.8v and 13.8v.

                                    On an unhappy pair I have seen 15.1 and 12.5....

                                    But whatever works. The killer in that scenario is that on the next run
                                    the 12 volt battery gets dragged down to 10 while the other is at 12.x.
                                    Still above 22 volts, so the mower keeps on rolling........

                                    I'm watching this with the Paktrakr. It's kind of fun. And on charge
                                    it's putting .4a into the pack at start of charge, I can check it anytime.

                                    Chris
                                  • Rad
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 29, 2010
                                      If the blades are just dull from cutting grass, you should be able to sharpen them with the same (small) amount of metal to both sides. I've done it successfully more than once.

                                      If you need to remove a serious amount of metal to get a nick out you'll have to balance the blade after sharpening, which isn't impossible, but is fussier than with a standard rotary mower blade because of the angle of the blades.