external charger

  • leecee01
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 18, 2010
      I posted this message several days ago but don't see it, so here goes again. What is your opinion on the cost of the external chargers. Mine just died and I need a new one but the cost has gone from under a hundred dollars several years ago to about $170 today. Can't understand why so expensive. (Cost more than the batteries) Anyone know where to get one cheaper.
      Carollee
    • bkelley9401
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 18, 2010
        Not with the factory end. But that can be made as well as other connections. How fast do you need your battery charged. 2amp=8hr, 3amp=6hrs, and 4amp=4hrs your times may very depending on the state of charge of your battery.
        Search for 24v battery charger most come with an XLR 3prong connector, the third prong is there to confuse people who only need a two prong.
        Amazon has 2ah 24v chargers for $16 and most scooter stores carry them.
        This site has XLR female connectors for $2.29 shipped.
        http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLRFCableCon/

        Ace has the Hoppy® 2 Pole Flat Connector Set (47965) two connectors
        per pack for $2.79 free del to an ace store. Hard to pull apart.

        Here are some ideas pics are from an rl500 battery pack.
        http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7356/tmp6563aj2.jpg
        http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5678/connectors2dn2.jpg
        If you wire the battery with a connector coming out the hand of the battery you can charge with the battery in the mower.

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 18, 2010
          There's also the idea of using two 12v SLA chargers.

          There's a lot of logic to that, since it ensures they're both properly
          charged.

          When done together at 24v, there's greater issues of charge imbalance
          and overcharging one batt while undercharging the other. But, AFAIK all
          the e-bikes do it that way anyways.

          Danny

          On 9/18/2010 6:19 PM, bkelley9401 wrote:

          > Not with the factory end. But that can be made as well as other connections. How fast do you need your battery charged. 2amp=8hr, 3amp=6hrs, and 4amp=4hrs your times may very depending on the state of charge of your battery.
          > Search for 24v battery charger most come with an XLR 3prong connector, the third prong is there to confuse people who only need a two prong.
          > Amazon has 2ah 24v chargers for $16 and most scooter stores carry them.
          > This site has XLR female connectors for $2.29 shipped.
          > http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLRFCableCon/
          >

          > Ace has the Hoppy® 2 Pole Flat Connector Set (47965) two connectors
          > per pack for $2.79 free del to an ace store. Hard to pull apart.
          >
          > Here are some ideas pics are from an rl500 battery pack.
          > http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7356/tmp6563aj2.jpg
          > http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5678/connectors2dn2.jpg
          > If you wire the battery with a connector coming out the hand of the battery you can charge with the battery in the mower.
          >
          > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "leecee01"<leecee01@...> wrote:
          >> I posted this message several days ago but don't see it, so here goes again. What is your opinion on the cost of the external chargers. Mine just died and I need a new one but the cost has gone from under a hundred dollars several years ago to about $170 today. Can't understand why so expensive. (Cost more than the batteries) Anyone know where to get one cheaper.
          >> Carollee

        • Chris Zach
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 18, 2010
            On 9/18/2010 8:51 PM, Danny Miller wrote:
            > There's also the idea of using two 12v SLA chargers.
            >
            > There's a lot of logic to that, since it ensures they're both properly
            > charged.
            >
            > When done together at 24v, there's greater issues of charge imbalance
            > and overcharging one batt while undercharging the other. But, AFAIK all
            > the e-bikes do it that way anyways.

            Seriously agree with this. With my zener regs and the Paktrakr
            monitoring my pack this year I can say two things:

            1) Even a matched set of batteries will slide out of sync in under a year.

            2) Zener regs bring them back into sync.

            No wonder these packs don't last. Either put regs on the batteries or
            charge them individually with 2 12 volt chargers.

            Chris
          • Frans
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 18, 2010
              Certain [batteries/chargers] discussions on this forum exhibit cyclic behaviour:

              Recently [May 2010] we had this thread:

              RL1000 Power Supply replacement options

              These power supplies seem to fit and on eBay.com there are plenty around for around $ 10. I have beeen using the ones with the arrows for a while now and they work fine. I paid 7.50 Euro's (about 9 US $) for second hand ones on the Dutch equivalent of eBay. A few old cords with plugs that I had lying around I connected by stripping the wires and inserting them in the original plug of the power supply. A little bit of strategically placed duct tape keeps them well in place and gives good insulation.

              0957-2178, 0957-2094, 0957-2146, 0957-2166

              HP 0957-2094 <-----
              HP 0950-4466 <-----
              HP 0950-2146
              0957-2153
              0957-2178

              HP 0950-4466
              HP 0957-2094
              HP 0957-2144
              HP 0957-2146
              HP 0957-2166
              HP 0957-2177
              HP 0957-2178>

              Hello Carollee,

              There is a simple and inexpensive solution

              Hewlett Packard built perfectly compatible power 32Volts 940mAmp adapters for yesteryears printers. You find them for $5 and up on eBay and CraigsList. I bought a small fleet of 850's lacking chargers and have been using these replacements to my complete and lasting satisfaction. I use barrel connectors from old power supplies etc.. Being Dutch, it is against my nature throwing 'valuable' things away, so I have a small stack of those lying around. Just strip the wires of the barrel connector and insert in the female plug that is on the adapter and fasten with duct tape. Use a volt meter to find right poles and polarity. The plug has 32 and 16 volts on it; only connect the first one.
              If you need more instructions just let me know.

              adapter type numbers are 0950-4466 and 0950-4484. I had a longer list of compatibles but cannot find it in my computer right now [see above].

              Cherio, Frans

              ps I tried posting on the robomow forum yesterday but did not succeed

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 19, 2010
                Don't confuse "power supplies" and "chargers" here.

                AFAIK the original poster needed a battery charger, not a power supply
                for the mower.

                Don't hook a power supply straight up to the batts, of course. Even if
                the voltages are similar, a power supply alone lacks the logic and
                sensing to be a charger.

                Danny
                .
                On 9/18/2010 11:44 PM, Frans wrote:

                > Certain [batteries/chargers] discussions on this forum exhibit cyclic behaviour:
                >
                > Recently [May 2010] we had this thread:

                > RL1000 Power Supply replacement options
                >
                > These power supplies seem to fit and on eBay.com there are plenty around for around $ 10. I have beeen using the ones with the arrows for a while now and they work fine. I paid 7.50 Euro's (about 9 US $) for second hand ones on the Dutch equivalent of eBay. A few old cords with plugs that I had lying around I connected by stripping the wires and inserting them in the original plug of the power supply. A little bit of strategically placed duct tape keeps them well in place and gives good insulation.
                >

                > 0957-2178, 0957-2094, 0957-2146, 0957-2166
                >
                > HP 0957-2094<-----
                > HP 0950-4466<-----
                > HP 0950-2146
                > 0957-2153
                > 0957-2178
                >
                > HP 0950-4466
                > HP 0957-2094
                > HP 0957-2144
                > HP 0957-2146
                > HP 0957-2166
                > HP 0957-2177
                > HP 0957-2178>

                > Hello Carollee,
                >
                > There is a simple and inexpensive solution
                >
                > Hewlett Packard built perfectly compatible power 32Volts 940mAmp adapters for yesteryears printers. You find them for $5 and up on eBay and CraigsList. I bought a small fleet of 850's lacking chargers and have been using these replacements to my complete and lasting satisfaction. I use barrel connectors from old power supplies etc.. Being Dutch, it is against my nature throwing 'valuable' things away, so I have a small stack of those lying around. Just strip the wires of the barrel connector and insert in the female plug that is on the adapter and fasten with duct tape. Use a volt meter to find right poles and polarity. The plug has 32 and 16 volts on it; only connect the first one.
                > If you need more instructions just let me know.
                >
                > adapter type numbers are 0950-4466 and 0950-4484. I had a longer list of compatibles but cannot find it in my computer right now [see above].
                >
                > Cherio, Frans
                >
                > ps I tried posting on the robomow forum yesterday but did not succeed

                > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "leecee01"<leecee01@...> wrote:
                >> I posted this message several days ago but don't see it, so here goes again. What is your opinion on the cost of the external chargers. Mine just died and I need a new one but the cost has gone from under a hundred dollars several years ago to about $170 today. Can't understand why so expensive. (Cost more than the batteries) Anyone know where to get one cheaper.
                >> Carollee

              • Douglas B. George
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 19, 2010
                  My Robomower keeps trying to go in circles. The problem is worse when the
                  battery is low, but it happens to some degree all the time. Eventually the
                  mower stops with a "drive problem".

                  I have a dead Robomower that I acquired, which I can cannibalize for parts...
                  but I first need to know where the problem lies.

                  (The dead mower was apparently killed by hooking up the battery backwards...
                  alternatively, do you have any suggestions on how to revive that one?)

                  Suggestions?

                  Doug
                • Douglas B. George
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                    More info... the problem occurs when the mower is *warm*. When it is cool it
                    operates normally, or nearly so. When it is warm it keeps trying to turn right,
                    even when it's supposed to be going forward. Strangely, I can manually make it
                    turn left or right, but it won't go straight.

                    Doug

                    --

                    Doug George
                    dgeorge@...

                    Diffraction Limited
                    Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products
                    http://www.cyanogen.com/

                    100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202
                    Ottawa, Ontario,
                    Canada, K2G 5W3

                    Phone: (613) 225-2732
                    Fax: (613) 225-9688
                  • Dirt Nap
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                      The mover that was killed with the reverse polarity can be fixed by
                      replacing the main board. The mower with the drive issue I would do
                      diagnostic testing on it before trying to narrow it down

                      dgeorge@... <dgeorge%40cyanogen.com>

                      Diffraction Limited
                      Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products
                      http://www.cyanogen.com/

                      100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202
                      Ottawa, Ontario,
                      Canada, K2G 5W3

                      Phone: (613) 225-2732
                      Fax: (613) 225-9688

                    • David Sparks
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                        I have two RL500s for sale. One only needs a batteries. It has the updated OS
                        chip. The other one has no batteries, but works at times. If I unplug the main
                        connector and plug it back in, it works for a while.

                        Call David at 469-569-3445

                        $250 for both. It comes with the book and perimeter box.

                        Located in Little Elm, TX. Pick up only.

                      • Douglas B. George
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                          On 2010-09-20 11:08 AM, Dirt Nap wrote:
                          > The mover that was killed with the reverse polarity can be fixed by
                          > replacing the main board. The mower with the drive issue I would do
                          > diagnostic testing on it before trying to narrow it down

                          Okay... what diagnostic tests can be run, and how do you do it?

                          Doug
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                            Mine had long been doing the "drunken mower" routine where it veers
                            off to one side, then turns back and veers the other way, instead of a
                            clean straight line.
                            It didn't have a problem being manually driven straight.

                            I went into the Service menu and had it recalibrate the Direction
                            Keeper. I hadn't done that since the initial setup- and now it goes
                            straight!

                            Danny

                            On 9/20/2010 1:37 PM, Douglas B. George wrote:
                            > On 2010-09-20 11:08 AM, Dirt Nap wrote:
                            >> The mover that was killed with the reverse polarity can be fixed by
                            >> replacing the main board. The mower with the drive issue I would do
                            >> diagnostic testing on it before trying to narrow it down
                            > Okay... what diagnostic tests can be run, and how do you do it?
                            >
                            > Doug

                          • Doug
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                              I cut a hole in the top of all my battery packs and mounted an XLR connector. It's wired to access both batteries separately. Then I picked up two BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulphators (1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117) when they were on sale at Northern Tool. I wired them together to plug into the XLR receptacle.

                              So now I have a fast external charger with conditioning that does both batteries in the pack individually.

                              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "leecee01" <leecee01@...> wrote:

                              > I posted this message several days ago but don't see it, so here goes again. What is your opinion on the cost of the external chargers. Mine just died and I need a new one but the cost has gone from under a hundred dollars several years ago to about $170 today. Can't understand why so expensive. (Cost more than the batteries) Anyone know where to get one cheaper.
                              > Carollee

                            • jeff
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                What is th ebutton sequence to recalibrate it? Mine drives "drunk" sometimes
                                too!

                                ________________________________
                                Mine had long been doing the "drunken mower" routine where it veers
                                off to one side, then turns back and veers the other way, instead of a
                                clean straight line.
                                It didn't have a problem being manually driven straight.

                                I went into the Service menu and had it recalibrate the Direction
                                Keeper. I hadn't done that since the initial setup- and now it goes
                                straight!

                                Danny

                                On 9/20/2010 1:37 PM, Douglas B. George wrote:
                                > On 2010-09-20 11:08 AM, Dirt Nap wrote:
                                >> The mover that was killed with the reverse polarity can be fixed by
                                >> replacing the main board. The mower with the drive issue I would do
                                >> diagnostic testing on it before trying to narrow it down
                                > Okay... what diagnostic tests can be run, and how do you do it?
                                >
                                > Doug

                              • jeff
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                  I have a Battery minder. Is it true unless I do what oyu did that I must charge
                                  each batter seperately and outside of the cradle?

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                    Service-> 12321->DK Calibration, IIRC.

                                    Make sure you have the mower on a level, highly tractionable surface
                                    like concrete or a deck. Note that a driveway is always sloped to drain
                                    water so you might want to look for something flatter, sidewalks are
                                    often flatter.

                                    Danny

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                      You don’t have to charge them separately if you get a battery minder that is for 24v systems.

                                      I bought one for my airplane… I’ve never used it on my airplane, I always have it hooked up to my extra mower batteries <g>.

                                      The 24v minders are a bit more expensive, but not as flexible as splitting to allow you to use 12v minders. With the 12v you can always use it on your car if you want. In addition, if you get a 24v you might want to get the non-aviation model. The aviation model is tweaked a little for aviation usage… more to increase battery life than charge. The final charge level is slightly lower than other chargers I think.

                                      Dan

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                        But this does not provide the superior balancing of two 12v chargers
                                        (with a modified 3-wire pack).

                                        The difference is that with two batteries in series, the charger might
                                        be designed to shut off at 13.8v/batt, but it's added up. They might be
                                        14v and 13.6v and the 24v charger wouldn't know the difference between
                                        that and an even 13.8v and 13.8v.

                                        Danny

                                        On 9/20/2010 4:16 PM, Dan Barclay wrote:
                                        > You don’t have to charge them separately if you get a battery minder that is for 24v systems.
                                        >

                                        > I bought one for my airplane… I’ve never used it on my airplane, I always have it hooked up to my extra mower batteries<g>.
                                        >

                                        > The 24v minders are a bit more expensive, but not as flexible as splitting to allow you to use 12v minders. With the 12v you can always use it on your car if you want. In addition, if you get a 24v you might want to get the non-aviation model. The aviation model is tweaked a little for aviation usage… more to increase battery life than charge. The final charge level is slightly lower than other chargers I think.
                                        >

                                        > Dan

                                      • jeff
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                          I know they are balance and not to be grinded but how about a file to just clean
                                          and put an edge back on? Lots of grass gunk and only 1 year old

                                          ________________________________
                                          But this does not provide the superior balancing of two 12v chargers
                                          (with a modified 3-wire pack).

                                          The difference is that with two batteries in series, the charger might
                                          be designed to shut off at 13.8v/batt, but it's added up. They might be
                                          14v and 13.6v and the 24v charger wouldn't know the difference between
                                          that and an even 13.8v and 13.8v.

                                          Danny

                                          On 9/20/2010 4:16 PM, Dan Barclay wrote:
                                          > You don’t have to charge them separately if you get a battery minder that is
                                          >for 24v systems.
                                          >

                                          > I bought one for my airplane… I’ve never used it on my airplane, I always have
                                          >it hooked up to my extra mower batteries<g>.
                                          >

                                          > The 24v minders are a bit more expensive, but not as flexible as splitting to
                                          >allow you to use 12v minders. With the 12v you can always use it on your car if
                                          >you want. In addition, if you get a 24v you might want to get the non-aviation
                                          >model. The aviation model is tweaked a little for aviation usage… more to
                                          >increase battery life than charge. The final charge level is slightly lower than
                                          >other chargers I think.
                                          >

                                          > Dan

                                        • Richard Gard
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                            I clean out the blade wells, clean the blades, and use a file to put a little edge and remove any knicks at least every 2 or 3 weeks.  It is not a perfect job, maybe 85%.  It makes a big difference to my lawn, especially if I am getting brown edge on the cut because the blades are pulling more than cutting.

                                            ~R in Connecticut

                                            I know they are balance and not to be grinded but how about a file to just clean
                                            and put an edge back on? Lots of grass gunk and only 1 year old

                                            ________________________________
                                            But this does not provide the superior balancing of two 12v chargers
                                            (with a modified 3-wire pack).

                                            The difference is that with two batteries in series, the charger might
                                            be designed to shut off at 13.8v/batt, but it's added up. They might be
                                            14v and 13.6v and the 24v charger wouldn't know the difference between
                                            that and an even 13.8v and 13.8v.

                                            Danny

                                            On 9/20/2010 4:16 PM, Dan Barclay wrote:
                                            > You don’t have to charge them separately if you get a battery minder that is
                                            >for 24v systems.
                                            >

                                            > I bought one for my airplane… I’ve never used it on my airplane, I always have
                                            >it hooked up to my extra mower batteries<g>.
                                            >

                                            > The 24v minders are a bit more expensive, but not as flexible as splitting to
                                            >allow you to use 12v minders. With the 12v you can always use it on your car if
                                            >you want. In addition, if you get a 24v you might want to get the non-aviation
                                            >model. The aviation model is tweaked a little for aviation usage… more to
                                            >increase battery life than charge. The final charge level is slightly lower than
                                            >other chargers I think.
                                            >

                                            > Dan

                                          • Robert Silva
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                              I have my blades sharpened professionally every year and do touch-ups periodically with a hand sharpener gizmo.

                                              -Bob

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                                As long as they are “sister batteries” (all batts used in battery packs should stay together from birth to death) it shouldn’t matter much.

                                                It’s like looking for 12 - 2volt chargers. That is… it’s better but not enough better to matter a lot in the long run.

                                                For folks who swap batteries between packs, yea it can matter.

                                                Dan

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                                  We're talking about batteries. You're talking about blades.

                                                  The prohibition against blade sharpening had long since been busted.
                                                  It's actually a great idea to use a knife sharpener on the blades
                                                  regularly. If you are skilled with a file or grinding stone, by all
                                                  means use those, just don't try to change the bevel angle to something
                                                  thinner than it was designed as.

                                                  Danny

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                                    Given the issues in lead-acid quality, the matching of "sister
                                                    batteries" is not all that consistent.

                                                    But yeah there's 6 cells in each battery anyways. Some people got the
                                                    idea there's stacks of places inside running back-to-back, but no,
                                                    they're 6 isolated pockets inside the case with no physical connection
                                                    except the busbar. They don't share acid. There's no balancing inside
                                                    a pack.

                                                    Actually a charge balancer doesn't resolve all problems with mismatched
                                                    batteries, either. If you're running them all the way down, the weaker
                                                    batt can be driven to a much lower voltage than intended if the other
                                                    batt still has a strong voltage on it. A balancer won't address
                                                    discharge issues.

                                                    But, there is SOME value in two 12v chargers. It's not all that
                                                    absolute is all.

                                                    Danny

                                                  • Christopher Zach
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 20, 2010
                                                      Danny Miller wrote:
                                                      > But this does not provide the superior balancing of two 12v chargers
                                                      > (with a modified 3-wire pack).
                                                      >
                                                      > The difference is that with two batteries in series, the charger might
                                                      > be designed to shut off at 13.8v/batt, but it's added up. They might be
                                                      > 14v and 13.6v and the 24v charger wouldn't know the difference between
                                                      > that and an even 13.8v and 13.8v.

                                                      On an unhappy pair I have seen 15.1 and 12.5....

                                                      But whatever works. The killer in that scenario is that on the next run
                                                      the 12 volt battery gets dragged down to 10 while the other is at 12.x.
                                                      Still above 22 volts, so the mower keeps on rolling........

                                                      I'm watching this with the Paktrakr. It's kind of fun. And on charge
                                                      it's putting .4a into the pack at start of charge, I can check it anytime.

                                                      Chris
                                                    • Rad
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Sep 29, 2010
                                                        If the blades are just dull from cutting grass, you should be able to sharpen them with the same (small) amount of metal to both sides. I've done it successfully more than once.

                                                        If you need to remove a serious amount of metal to get a nick out you'll have to balance the blade after sharpening, which isn't impossible, but is fussier than with a standard rotary mower blade because of the angle of the blades.