Re: Mowing In Circles

  • MrDee427
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
      Thanks for all of your replies. I will give all of them a shot, although I'm leaning toward Danny's solution since I recently had the mower taken apart and might have knocked something loose.

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "MrDee427" <mrdee427@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I've come seeking your expertise in helping me solve a problem with my RL800 Robomower. For some reason, my mower will not go straight. Even when I try to drive it out onto the lawn using the remote control it just goes in circles. I managed to get it onto the lawn and start it up, but still nothing but circles. There are no strange or unusual noises or anything. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before. If so, might you have a solution? Thanks all!

    • bkelley9401
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
        You need to test your drive motors. Raise the rear wheels off the ground with front wheel on the ground, when secure. Open the service menu (12321), select drive motors, press GO once. You will receive a pass or fail with code write the fail code down. If test fails retest but this time press go twice. The right numbers are for the right motors and the left are for the left motors. The top numbers are rpm the bottom are power values.
        You can check your fault codes here.
        http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_and_Repair

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
          There was a connector on the wiring from the tach board to the
          motherboard which was so problematic they ended up removing it from the
          design and hardwiring it in, IIRC.

          I'm surprised it runs without the tach board, but someone else recently
          posted that it does indeed run without it. Well, tries to.

          Danny

          MrDee427 wrote:
          > Thanks for all of your replies. I will give all of them a shot, although I'm leaning toward Danny's solution since I recently had the mower taken apart and might have knocked something loose.
          >

          > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "MrDee427" <mrdee427@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hello all,
          >>
          >> I've come seeking your expertise in helping me solve a problem with my RL800 Robomower. For some reason, my mower will not go straight. Even when I try to drive it out onto the lawn using the remote control it just goes in circles. I managed to get it onto the lawn and start it up, but still nothing but circles. There are no strange or unusual noises or anything. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before. If so, might you have a solution? Thanks all!

        • Douglas B. George
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2010
            My RoboMower has started running over the wire. It always happens in the
            forward direction. This never used to happen, but now it does that on perhaps
            every fourth run of the mower.

            Usually it just gets stuck but in one instance I actually saw the mower leave my
            property altogether. I chased it down as it went merrily on cutting grass next
            door! I'm sure it would have stopped eventually but that is not good!!!

            It looks like there might be several wire sensors around the perimeter of the
            mower, and maybe one of the front ones isn't working(?). Any suggestions on how
            to diagnose and repair this issue?

            Thanks,

            Doug
          • Ken Hawn
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
              My mower will sometimes jump the perimeter wire, it will stop within 3 feet. I just pull the battery box out and wait a minute or two and replace it. That seems to reset something and then It works fine.
              Ken

              Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

              On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:23 PM, "Douglas B. George" <dg@...> wrote:

              > My RoboMower has started running over the wire. It always happens in the
              > forward direction. This never used to happen, but now it does that on perhaps
              > every fourth run of the mower.
              >
              > Usually it just gets stuck but in one instance I actually saw the mower leave my
              > property altogether. I chased it down as it went merrily on cutting grass next
              > door! I'm sure it would have stopped eventually but that is not good!!!
              >
              > It looks like there might be several wire sensors around the perimeter of the
              > mower, and maybe one of the front ones isn't working(?). Any suggestions on how
              > to diagnose and repair this issue?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Doug

            • Art
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                Well, my 500 overran the wire -- once! -- and "dove" directly into the deep end of our pool. As you might expect, it hasn't run at all since.

                Sent from my iPod touch!

                On Sep 9, 2010, at 5:59 AM, Ken Hawn <khawn@...> wrote:

                > My mower will sometimes jump the perimeter wire, it will stop within 3 feet. I just pull the battery box out and wait a minute or two and replace it. That seems to reset something and then It works fine.
                > Ken
                >
                > Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone
                >
                > On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:23 PM, "Douglas B. George" <dg@...> wrote:
                >
                > > My RoboMower has started running over the wire. It always happens in the
                > > forward direction. This never used to happen, but now it does that on perhaps
                > > every fourth run of the mower.
                > >
                > > Usually it just gets stuck but in one instance I actually saw the mower leave my
                > > property altogether. I chased it down as it went merrily on cutting grass next
                > > door! I'm sure it would have stopped eventually but that is not good!!!
                > >
                > > It looks like there might be several wire sensors around the perimeter of the
                > > mower, and maybe one of the front ones isn't working(?). Any suggestions on how
                > > to diagnose and repair this issue?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Doug

              • Douglas B. George
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                  On 2010-09-09 8:59 AM, Ken Hawn wrote:
                  > My mower will sometimes jump the perimeter wire, it will stop within 3 feet.
                  > I just pull the battery box out and wait a minute or two and replace it. That
                  > seems to reset something and then It works fine.

                  I not sure that's it. Previously I think it ran over the wire twice, and that
                  was in a spot where there is a strong slope. Now it's doing it in other places
                  and a lot more frequently.

                  Doug
                • Robert Silva
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                    My RL1000 dove into my pool a couple hundred hours ago. No problems as a result. Though the motor casings and some board components are oxidized.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                      Go under Service. There's a "Learn Wire Sensors", also a "Test wire
                      sensors" IIRC. You need to have the mower inside an active perimeter wire.

                      Danny

                      Ken Hawn wrote:
                      > My mower will sometimes jump the perimeter wire, it will stop within 3 feet. I just pull the battery box out and wait a minute or two and replace it. That seems to reset something and then It works fine.
                      > Ken
                      >
                      > Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone
                      >
                      > On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:23 PM, "Douglas B. George" <dg@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> My RoboMower has started running over the wire. It always happens in the
                      >> forward direction. This never used to happen, but now it does that on perhaps
                      >> every fourth run of the mower.
                      >>
                      >> Usually it just gets stuck but in one instance I actually saw the mower leave my
                      >> property altogether. I chased it down as it went merrily on cutting grass next
                      >> door! I'm sure it would have stopped eventually but that is not good!!!
                      >>
                      >> It looks like there might be several wire sensors around the perimeter of the
                      >> mower, and maybe one of the front ones isn't working(?). Any suggestions on how
                      >> to diagnose and repair this issue?
                      >>
                      >> Thanks,
                      >>
                      >> Doug

                    • toolman_d
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                        I've observed the mower overrun the perimeter:
                        1) when the battery is low/drained
                        2) there are cars parked close to the perimeter
                        3) on a hill when the rear tire drops off the edge of the grass (the mover pivots outside the perimeter)

                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                        > Go under Service. There's a "Learn Wire Sensors", also a "Test wire
                        > sensors" IIRC. You need to have the mower inside an active perimeter wire.
                        >
                        > Danny
                        >
                        > Ken Hawn wrote:
                        > > My mower will sometimes jump the perimeter wire, it will stop within 3 feet. I just pull the battery box out and wait a minute or two and replace it. That seems to reset something and then It works fine.
                        > > Ken
                        > >
                        > > Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone
                        > >
                        > > On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:23 PM, "Douglas B. George" <dg@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > >> My RoboMower has started running over the wire. It always happens in the
                        > >> forward direction. This never used to happen, but now it does that on perhaps
                        > >> every fourth run of the mower.
                        > >>
                        > >> Usually it just gets stuck but in one instance I actually saw the mower leave my
                        > >> property altogether. I chased it down as it went merrily on cutting grass next
                        > >> door! I'm sure it would have stopped eventually but that is not good!!!
                        > >>
                        > >> It looks like there might be several wire sensors around the perimeter of the
                        > >> mower, and maybe one of the front ones isn't working(?). Any suggestions on how
                        > >> to diagnose and repair this issue?
                        > >>
                        > >> Thanks,
                        > >>
                        > >> Doug

                      • jeff
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                          My 850 will do that is falls off the lawn adn the beauty bark and eroded or been
                          pushed back. I merely build the bark back up and works fine then. Look for a
                          fall off point and raise it

                          ________________________________
                          I've observed the mower overrun the perimeter:
                          1) when the battery is low/drained
                          2) there are cars parked close to the perimeter
                          3) on a hill when the rear tire drops off the edge of the grass (the mover
                          pivots outside the perimeter)

                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                          > Go under Service. There's a "Learn Wire Sensors", also a "Test wire
                          > sensors" IIRC. You need to have the mower inside an active perimeter wire.
                          >
                          > Danny
                          >
                          > Ken Hawn wrote:
                          > > My mower will sometimes jump the perimeter wire, it will stop within 3 feet.
                          >I just pull the battery box out and wait a minute or two and replace it. That
                          >seems to reset something and then It works fine.
                          >
                          > > Ken
                          > >
                          > > Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone
                          > >
                          > > On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:23 PM, "Douglas B. George" <dg@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > >> My RoboMower has started running over the wire. It always happens in the
                          > >> forward direction. This never used to happen, but now it does that on
                          >perhaps
                          >
                          > >> every fourth run of the mower.
                          > >>
                          > >> Usually it just gets stuck but in one instance I actually saw the mower
                          >leave my
                          >
                          > >> property altogether. I chased it down as it went merrily on cutting grass
                          >next
                          >
                          > >> door! I'm sure it would have stopped eventually but that is not good!!!
                          > >>
                          > >> It looks like there might be several wire sensors around the perimeter of
                          >the
                          >
                          > >> mower, and maybe one of the front ones isn't working(?). Any suggestions on
                          >how
                          >
                          > >> to diagnose and repair this issue?
                          > >>
                          > >> Thanks,
                          > >>
                          > >> Doug

                        • m.hadank
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                            I have the same issue, but thankfully only rarely. One observation I've made is that at these times the four holes (one per corner of the mower) tend to be plugged with grass clippings. Once I clean these out, things tend to improve. It's possible the sensors are located at the top of these recesses, and the clippings are enough to suppress the reception of signals from the perimeter wire.

                            Hope this helps.

                            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas B. George" <dg@...> wrote:

                            > My RoboMower has started running over the wire. It always happens in the
                            > forward direction. This never used to happen, but now it does that on perhaps
                            > every fourth run of the mower.
                            >
                            > Usually it just gets stuck but in one instance I actually saw the mower leave my
                            > property altogether. I chased it down as it went merrily on cutting grass next
                            > door! I'm sure it would have stopped eventually but that is not good!!!
                            >
                            > It looks like there might be several wire sensors around the perimeter of the
                            > mower, and maybe one of the front ones isn't working(?). Any suggestions on how
                            > to diagnose and repair this issue?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Doug

                          • Ken Hawn
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                              Mine will over run the perimeter with a full charge. It went about 3 feet into my flower garden and came within two inches of hitting my cactus. It will also go past the wire if the wheel happens to go over the street curb. Pulling batteries out always works for me.

                              Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

                              On Sep 9, 2010, at 5:41 PM, "toolman_d" <toolman_d@...> wrote:

                              > I've observed the mower overrun the perimeter:
                              > 1) when the battery is low/drained
                              > 2) there are cars parked close to the perimeter
                              > 3) on a hill when the rear tire drops off the edge of the grass (the mover pivots outside the perimeter)
                              >
                              > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Go under Service. There's a "Learn Wire Sensors", also a "Test wire
                              > > sensors" IIRC. You need to have the mower inside an active perimeter wire.
                              > >
                              > > Danny
                              > >
                              > > Ken Hawn wrote:
                              > > > My mower will sometimes jump the perimeter wire, it will stop within 3 feet. I just pull the battery box out and wait a minute or two and replace it. That seems to reset something and then It works fine.
                              > > > Ken
                              > > >
                              > > > Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

                            • Doug Smith
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 10, 2010
                                That's an interesting observation I'll have to watch for. The sensors are indeed on top of those recesses.

                                --
                                Doug Smith <doug@...>
                                <http://smithsrus.com>