Gear replacement

  • mwgowin
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2010
      I originally tried to post this a week ago but it didnt show up... must be some sort of error.

      Anyway, a gear went out on my rl850 and I have been calling around but so far no one has them. Has anyone tried any other source for individual gears? When I do a google product search all sorts of options show up of all shapes and sizes. Does anyone have the actual specs for the gears? It is the first one that touches the motor pinion gear. Not the gear that is pressed into the motor (i would be screwed). I have read where some people are able to get just the gears but using search some people had to buy motors too. That would suck and cost a lot. If I were to do that I would probably look into replacing those gears with a couple of battlebots gearhead motors. Has anyone else tried that either? Thanks.
    • mwgowin
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2010
        Disreguard my last... I found a set of 4 for $30 from probotics. Not bad and certainly cheaper than replacing the whole drive train.

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mwgowin" <mwgowin@...> wrote:

        > I originally tried to post this a week ago but it didnt show up... must be some sort of error.
        >
        > Anyway, a gear went out on my rl850 and I have been calling around but so far no one has them. Has anyone tried any other source for individual gears? When I do a google product search all sorts of options show up of all shapes and sizes. Does anyone have the actual specs for the gears? It is the first one that touches the motor pinion gear. Not the gear that is pressed into the motor (i would be screwed). I have read where some people are able to get just the gears but using search some people had to buy motors too. That would suck and cost a lot. If I were to do that I would probably look into replacing those gears with a couple of battlebots gearhead motors. Has anyone else tried that either? Thanks.

      • wolfbob
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 2010
          I may have a gear. I have a 550 and have ordered a full gearbox which includes two motors and all the gears and bearings etc. I had installed new batteries and let the mower go romping on its own and it got stuck and melted a pinion gear and sorta misaligned the other motor so the tach magnets hit the sensor. But the gears after the pinion seem to be OK.

          Are the gears the same on the 850 and 550? Are you interested in a "used" gear?

          WBob

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 30, 2010
            If it's the older type which used a center plastic bushing instead of a
            bearing, it's best not to try to reuse these.

            The bushing tended to deform and enlarge as it wore out, leading to poor
            meshing and wear on teeth of not just that gear but the other 2 which
            meshed with it.

            Danny

            wolfbob wrote:
            > I may have a gear. I have a 550 and have ordered a full gearbox which includes two motors and all the gears and bearings etc. I had installed new batteries and let the mower go romping on its own and it got stuck and melted a pinion gear and sorta misaligned the other motor so the tach magnets hit the sensor. But the gears after the pinion seem to be OK.
            >
            > Are the gears the same on the 850 and 550? Are you interested in a "used" gear?
            >
            > WBob

          • rsilva275
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2010
              All this gear talk must have jinxed me. My 2004 RL1000 was bucking and waddling back-and-forth so I took off his shell to examine the gears. The white motor pinions actually look ok. It's the black cluster gears that are worn, especially the final gear. No missing teeth but they are worn to points. I lubed him up and he's still running.

              Have you ordered the Probotics gears? I sent an email and got no reply.

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mwgowin" <mwgowin@...> wrote:

              > Disreguard my last... I found a set of 4 for $30 from probotics. Not bad and certainly cheaper than replacing the whole drive train.
              >
              > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mwgowin" <mwgowin@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I originally tried to post this a week ago but it didnt show up... must be some sort of error.
              > >
              > > Anyway, a gear went out on my rl850 and I have been calling around but so far no one has them. Has anyone tried any other source for individual gears? When I do a google product search all sorts of options show up of all shapes and sizes. Does anyone have the actual specs for the gears? It is the first one that touches the motor pinion gear. Not the gear that is pressed into the motor (i would be screwed). I have read where some people are able to get just the gears but using search some people had to buy motors too. That would suck and cost a lot. If I were to do that I would probably look into replacing those gears with a couple of battlebots gearhead motors. Has anyone else tried that either? Thanks.

            • Frans
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2010
                "I lubed him up and he's still running."

                In MHO this is a very temporary solution. Any kind of oil, grease or lube will over time catch dust and grass particles and - combined with the lubricant - turn into a sticky goo that does anything but lubricate....

                My alternative solution is to dust the gears with finely powdered graphite. You can make it stick more effectively to the right spots by lightly spraying the gears with a little bit of water, (after having thoroughly cleaned them).

                The powdered graphite is kind of hard to get in these days of aerosol cans with magic mixtures, but you can probably still get it in old-fashioned hardware stores.

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "rsilva275" <rsilva275@...> wrote:

                > All this gear talk must have jinxed me. My 2004 RL1000 was bucking and waddling back-and-forth so I took off his shell to examine the gears. The white motor pinions actually look ok. It's the black cluster gears that are worn, especially the final gear. No missing teeth but they are worn to points. I lubed him up and he's still running.
                >
                > Have you ordered the Probotics gears? I sent an email and got no reply.
                >
                > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mwgowin" <mwgowin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Disreguard my last... I found a set of 4 for $30 from probotics. Not bad and certainly cheaper than replacing the whole drive train.
                > >
                > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mwgowin" <mwgowin@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I originally tried to post this a week ago but it didnt show up... must be some sort of error.
                > > >
                > > > Anyway, a gear went out on my rl850 and I have been calling around but so far no one has them. Has anyone tried any other source for individual gears? When I do a google product search all sorts of options show up of all shapes and sizes. Does anyone have the actual specs for the gears? It is the first one that touches the motor pinion gear. Not the gear that is pressed into the motor (i would be screwed). I have read where some people are able to get just the gears but using search some people had to buy motors too. That would suck and cost a lot. If I were to do that I would probably look into replacing those gears with a couple of battlebots gearhead motors. Has anyone else tried that either? Thanks.

              • Tim Wolff
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 9, 2010
                  A product called Lock Ease is a graphite suspended in a liquid carrier. It comes in both aerosol and non-aerosol cans. Sprayed on or applied like household oil, the carrier evaporates and leaves a film of graphite.

                  My experence with the both lock ease and the powered graphite lubricants indicates they don't do well in high load applications. Great for locks, not so much for wheel bearings, bushings, and gears.

                  The best thing you can do for plastic, nylon, etc. gears that are not in a sealed enclosure is to keep them dry and clean.

                  Tim Wolff

                  > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: voorde@...
                  > Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 05:08:07 +0000
                  > Subject: [RoboMower] Re: Gear replacement
                  >
                  > "I lubed him up and he's still running."
                  >
                  > In MHO this is a very temporary solution. Any kind of oil, grease or lube will over time catch dust and grass particles and - combined with the lubricant - turn into a sticky goo that does anything but lubricate....
                  >
                  > My alternative solution is to dust the gears with finely powdered graphite. You can make it stick more effectively to the right spots by lightly spraying the gears with a little bit of water, (after having thoroughly cleaned them).
                  >
                  > The powdered graphite is kind of hard to get in these days of aerosol cans with magic mixtures, but you can probably still get it in old-fashioned hardware stores.
                  >

                  > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "rsilva275" <rsilva275@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > All this gear talk must have jinxed me. My 2004 RL1000 was bucking and waddling back-and-forth so I took off his shell to examine the gears. The white motor pinions actually look ok. It's the black cluster gears that are worn, especially the final gear. No missing teeth but they are worn to points. I lubed him up and he's still running.
                  > >
                  > > Have you ordered the Probotics gears? I sent an email and got no reply.
                  > >
                  > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mwgowin" <mwgowin@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Disreguard my last... I found a set of 4 for $30 from probotics. Not bad and certainly cheaper than replacing the whole drive train.

                • Robert Silva
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 9, 2010
                    I agree. But since the gears are already trashed, I don't have much to lose and it'll keep him running until I find replacements.

                    "I lubed him up and he's still running."

                    In MHO this is a very temporary solution. Any kind of oil, grease or lube will over time catch dust and grass particles and - combined with the lubricant - turn into a sticky goo that does anything but lubricate....

                    My alternative solution is to dust the gears with finely powdered graphite. You can make it stick more effectively to the right spots by lightly spraying the gears with a little bit of water, (after having thoroughly cleaned them).

                    The powdered graphite is kind of hard to get in these days of aerosol cans with magic mixtures, but you can probably still get it in old-fashioned hardware stores.

                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "rsilva275" <rsilva275@...> wrote:

                    > All this gear talk must have jinxed me. My 2004 RL1000 was bucking and waddling back-and-forth so I took off his shell to examine the gears. The white motor pinions actually look ok. It's the black cluster gears that are worn, especially the final gear. No missing teeth but they are worn to points. I lubed him up and he's still running.

                    > Have you ordered the Probotics gears? I sent an email and got no reply.

                    > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mwgowin" <mwgowin@> wrote:

                    > > Disreguard my last... I found a set of 4 for $30 from probotics. Not bad and certainly cheaper than replacing the whole drive train.

                    > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mwgowin" <mwgowin@> wrote:

                    > > > I originally tried to post this a week ago but it didnt show up... must be some sort of error.

                    > > > Anyway, a gear went out on my rl850 and I have been calling around but so far no one has them. Has anyone tried any other source for individual gears? When I do a google product search all sorts of options show up of all shapes and sizes. Does anyone have the actual specs for the gears? It is the first one that touches the motor pinion gear. Not the gear that is pressed into the motor (i would be screwed). I have read where some people are able to get just the gears but using search some people had to buy motors too. That would suck and cost a lot. If I were to do that I would probably look into replacing those gears with a couple of battlebots gearhead motors. Has anyone else tried that either? Thanks.

                  • Chris Zach
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 9, 2010
                      On 9/9/2010 1:08 AM, Frans wrote:
                      > "I lubed him up and he's still running."
                      >
                      > In MHO this is a very temporary solution. Any kind of oil, grease or lube will over time catch dust and grass particles and - combined with the lubricant - turn into a sticky goo that does anything but lubricate....

                      Ok. I did this on my RL500 2 years ago and the thing is still going
                      happily. Gears are worn down to nubs but have not worn further.