Re: [RoboMower] Update on perimeter wire problem

  • Ken Hawn
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 9, 2010
      It was $75 for the call and testing and $10 to fix the wire. Not cheap, but saved my sanity.

      Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 9, 2010
        Well, $85 is hardly out of line for a service call, sort of a bargain as
        calls go, but it shouldn't be as hard to find a break as you were making
        out. I just had to rebuild an area I stopped mowing some time ago and
        due to various causes (lots of growth of fenceline trees) I had like 6-8
        (I lost count) breaks- yikes! Still found them all.

        I wonder what he had against the grease-filled wire nuts? I dislike the
        wire nuts in general because they can twist apart or break the wire
        because of the way it bends coming off the nut. But, if he's using a
        wire nut either way, his issue seems to be with the grease then.

        I use the skinny yellow 26-22 "telephone" straight butt splices from
        Radio Shack. They're not totally strong, even with the best crimping I
        can do if you pull hard enough it'll come apart before the wire breaks
        (which isn't entirely a bad thing). The insulation sometimes is hard to
        get to fit into the splice, the key is to either start the stripper a
        bit further back and cut by pulling on the insulation, causing the end
        to stretch and narrow.

        But, one thing I do like- if you have a wire without a lot of slack and
        cut it clean, well, you can't use 1 wire nut! A wire nut needs around
        2" of slack in the line because the twisted section will eat up close to
        1" of length from either end. If you don't have it, you'd need to
        either splice in a short piece of new wire with 2 nuts, or run the
        repair wire up to the next existing joint. A straight butt splice,
        though, need not cut down on the length as long as the ends aren't
        damaged to where they need to be cut back.

        Danny