Update on perimeter wire problem

  • KennethH
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1 11:54 AM
      Maybe I'm making progress. I went out and redid the 2 wire connections which are about half way around my front yard. They are about 18" apart (riding mower cut my wire because it wasn't low enough). Anyway, I cleaned them up; tightened the twisted wires; and used a waterproof wire nut on both of them. I went back and checked my wires at the perimeter box and they are now showing resistance. So, I've got resistance and continuity. With all that I still get a broken wire reading on the box. I found a six foot section on wire and made a loop and fastened that to the box. It works fine that way, but I can't cut my front yard with a six foot loop. Any suggestions?

      Ken
      Jacksonville
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1 12:08 PM
        How much resistance are you reading?

        Danny

        KennethH wrote:
        > Maybe I'm making progress. I went out and redid the 2 wire connections which are about half way around my front yard. They are about 18" apart (riding mower cut my wire because it wasn't low enough). Anyway, I cleaned them up; tightened the twisted wires; and used a waterproof wire nut on both of them. I went back and checked my wires at the perimeter box and they are now showing resistance. So, I've got resistance and continuity. With all that I still get a broken wire reading on the box. I found a six foot section on wire and made a loop and fastened that to the box. It works fine that way, but I can't cut my front yard with a six foot loop. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Ken
        > Jacksonville

      • Ken H.
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1 12:21 PM
          I had it set on 200k and was reading around 100 resistance.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1 12:42 PM
            If you're on a 200k scale and read 100, that's 100,000 ohms.

            Then you've got a break or a bad joint. That's 1000x more resistance
            than a complete wire loop could have. No mystery here.

            Danny

            Ken H. wrote:
            > I had it set on 200k and was reading around 100 resistance.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Ken Hawn
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1 12:56 PM
              The break must be at another location. I'm thinking about using a 100 ft piece of wire and and hook it to the box and just go around the perimeter until I find the break. Will a small alligator clamp work or will I have to strip the covering?

              Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1 4:17 PM
                Well, do you have the tone generator "sniffer" or not?

                Danny

                Ken Hawn wrote:
                > The break must be at another location. I'm thinking about using a 100 ft piece of wire and and hook it to the box and just go around the perimeter until I find the break. Will a small alligator clamp work or will I have to strip the covering?
                >
                > Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone
                >
                > On Aug 1, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:
                >

                >> If you're on a 200k scale and read 100, that's 100,000 ohms.
                >>
                >> Then you've got a break or a bad joint. That's 1000x more resistance
                >> than a complete wire loop could have. No mystery here.
                >>
                >> Danny
                >>
                >> Ken H. wrote:
                >>
                >>> I had it set on 200k and was reading around 100 resistance.
                >>>

                >>> ________________________________

              • Ken Hawn
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1 4:23 PM
                  I have two of them. I'm getting a tone going out and coming back. I have used it in the past but no luck this time.

                  Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

                  On Aug 1, 2010, at 7:17 PM, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                  > Well, do you have the tone generator "sniffer" or not?
                  >
                  > Danny
                  >
                  > Ken Hawn wrote:
                  > > The break must be at another location. I'm thinking about using a 100 ft piece of wire and and hook it to the box and just go around the perimeter until I find the break. Will a small alligator clamp work or will I have to strip the covering?
                  > >
                  > > Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone
                  > >
                  > > On Aug 1, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > >> If you're on a 200k scale and read 100, that's 100,000 ohms.
                  > >>
                  > >> Then you've got a break or a bad joint. That's 1000x more resistance
                  > >> than a complete wire loop could have. No mystery here.
                  > >>
                  > >> Danny

                • bkelley9401
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1 4:36 PM
                    Ken the long wire is your best bet. http://www.robomow.com/cservice/faqs/?kb=7

                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ken Hawn <khawn@...> wrote:

                    > The break must be at another location. I'm thinking about using a 100 ft piece of wire and and hook it to the box and just go around the perimeter until I find the break. Will a small alligator clamp work or will I have to strip the covering?
                    >
                    > Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone
                    >
                    > On Aug 1, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > If you're on a 200k scale and read 100, that's 100,000 ohms.
                    > >
                    > > Then you've got a break or a bad joint. That's 1000x more resistance
                    > > than a complete wire loop could have. No mystery here.
                    > >
                    > > Danny
                    > >
                    > > Ken H. wrote:
                    > > > I had it set on 200k and was reading around 100 resistance.
                    > > >

                    > > > ________________________________

                  • Ken Hawn
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1 4:51 PM
                      I think u r right

                      Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 1 5:37 PM
                        An alligator clip won't touch the wire itself. Don't strip the
                        insulation. You can use an automotive tap splice (or pin) to keep the
                        insulation damage to a minimum.

                        I generally dislike the "long wire" approach, because the damage to the
                        insulation can't be repaired and you may need to cut it many, many
                        times. And it must be dug up and exposed to even start it.

                        I did add to the Robomower wiki on how to locate a high resistance fault
                        with a sniffer:

                        http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_and_Repair#High_Resistance_Faults

                        Danny

                        bkelley9401 wrote:
                        > Ken the long wire is your best bet. http://www.robomow.com/cservice/faqs/?kb=7
                        >

                        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ken Hawn <khawn@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> The break must be at another location. I'm thinking about using a 100 ft piece of wire and and hook it to the box and just go around the perimeter until I find the break. Will a small alligator clamp work or will I have to strip the covering?
                        >>
                        >> Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone
                        >>
                        >> On Aug 1, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >>> If you're on a 200k scale and read 100, that's 100,000 ohms.
                        >>>
                        >>> Then you've got a break or a bad joint. That's 1000x more resistance
                        >>> than a complete wire loop could have. No mystery here.
                        >>>
                        >>> Danny

                      • Ken H.
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1 6:29 PM
                          Thanks for the info. I was impressed by the dog barrier wire device, but I
                          don't want to pay $60 for it. I am thinking about turning on the tone device
                          and then using the AM radio to detect the tone. I don't know if it will work,
                          but it's worth a try. As far as I know I only have 4 old breaks in the wire.
                          Two are about half way around the circuit. The other two are located just about
                          8 inches below the perimeter box. All of those breaks have been re-done. It is
                          strange that everything was working just prior to the failure. I mowed 90% of
                          the front yard before it died. In the past my tone detector showed me where
                          the wire was bad, but I'm getting a tone signal all around the circuit this
                          time. I will keep trying. The last resort is to lay down new wire.

                          Ken
                          jacksonville

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 1 7:31 PM
                            What kind of wire did you lay down in the first place? The official
                            green Robomower wire?

                            Danny

                          • Ken Hawn
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2 3:18 AM
                              I bought the wire from home depot. It is red. 14 gauge.

                              Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

                            • Ken Hawn
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 2 5:44 AM
                                I don't have the time or patience to work on this wire problem anymore. I called a invisible dog fence company and they will fix it for $75. That is equal to paying for lawn service for two cuttings. Not a bad deal if it maintains my sanity.

                                Ken
                                Jacksonville

                                Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

                              • Richard Gard
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 2 5:56 AM
                                  Guys,
                                  It has been a great discussion. Thanks for all the wiki postings, Danny. Good idea about the dog people, Ken.

                                  ~richard
                                  "Glad i have 4 unbroken runs of perimeter wire"

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 9 6:21 AM
                                    The repairman from the invisible dog fence company just left. He found the wire problem in 10 minutes and had it fixed 5 minutes later. There was an old break that I totally forgot about, and I guess it was corroded. The repairman used a Trakker 11 detector. It had a much louder tone than my device has. I could hear the tone through the device 10 feet away. He said that he also had a gauge on the device that showed him the strength of the signal. He used a shovel to uncover the wire and he found it on the first try. Wow!
                                    You all might be interested to know that he did not recommend the grease filled wire nuts. He used a regular a wire nut and put it inside of a sealed capsule. It looks like an orange tube with a flat flip top cover on it. its about 3 inches long. He wouldn't tell me where I could buy them at, but he did leave 3 of them with me.

                                    My mover is back in business now, so I won't have to hassle you guys for a while (I hope).

                                    Ken
                                    Jacksonville
                                  • Joseph Karaisz
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 9 3:13 PM
                                      What was the cost for this?

                                      On Aug 9, 2010, at 9:21 AM, KennethH wrote:

                                      > The repairman from the invisible dog fence company just left. He found the wire problem in 10 minutes and had it fixed 5 minutes later. There was an old break that I totally forgot about, and I guess it was corroded. The repairman used a Trakker 11 detector. It had a much louder tone than my device has. I could hear the tone through the device 10 feet away. He said that he also had a gauge on the device that showed him the strength of the signal. He used a shovel to uncover the wire and he found it on the first try. Wow!
                                      > You all might be interested to know that he did not recommend the grease filled wire nuts. He used a regular a wire nut and put it inside of a sealed capsule. It looks like an orange tube with a flat flip top cover on it. its about 3 inches long. He wouldn't tell me where I could buy them at, but he did leave 3 of them with me.
                                      >
                                      > My mover is back in business now, so I won't have to hassle you guys for a while (I hope).
                                      >
                                      > Ken
                                      > Jacksonville

                                    • Ken Hawn
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 9 4:40 PM
                                        It was $75 for the call and testing and $10 to fix the wire. Not cheap, but saved my sanity.

                                        Sent from Ken Hawn's iPhone

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 9 6:37 PM
                                          Well, $85 is hardly out of line for a service call, sort of a bargain as
                                          calls go, but it shouldn't be as hard to find a break as you were making
                                          out. I just had to rebuild an area I stopped mowing some time ago and
                                          due to various causes (lots of growth of fenceline trees) I had like 6-8
                                          (I lost count) breaks- yikes! Still found them all.

                                          I wonder what he had against the grease-filled wire nuts? I dislike the
                                          wire nuts in general because they can twist apart or break the wire
                                          because of the way it bends coming off the nut. But, if he's using a
                                          wire nut either way, his issue seems to be with the grease then.

                                          I use the skinny yellow 26-22 "telephone" straight butt splices from
                                          Radio Shack. They're not totally strong, even with the best crimping I
                                          can do if you pull hard enough it'll come apart before the wire breaks
                                          (which isn't entirely a bad thing). The insulation sometimes is hard to
                                          get to fit into the splice, the key is to either start the stripper a
                                          bit further back and cut by pulling on the insulation, causing the end
                                          to stretch and narrow.

                                          But, one thing I do like- if you have a wire without a lot of slack and
                                          cut it clean, well, you can't use 1 wire nut! A wire nut needs around
                                          2" of slack in the line because the twisted section will eat up close to
                                          1" of length from either end. If you don't have it, you'd need to
                                          either splice in a short piece of new wire with 2 nuts, or run the
                                          repair wire up to the next existing joint. A straight butt splice,
                                          though, need not cut down on the length as long as the ends aren't
                                          damaged to where they need to be cut back.

                                          Danny