Doh! gear axle came loose

  • Theodore Knab
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hi,

      It seems the robot falls apart without those c-clips on the top axle.

      Yesterday my RL1000 gear axle came loose and I was getting an error of
      "drive motor overload". It appears my axle popped as a result of some
      missing c-clips.

      Does anyone have a close-up picture of how the c-clips go on the top axle ?

      --
      Ted Knab
      Stevensville, MD USA
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 6, 2010
        I fixed this. No response is needed anymore.

        On 03/06/10 08:34 -0400, Theodore Knab wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > It seems the robot falls apart without those c-clips on the top axle.
        >
        > Yesterday my RL1000 gear axle came loose and I was getting an error of
        > "drive motor overload". It appears my axle popped as a result of some
        > missing c-clips.
        >
        > Does anyone have a close-up picture of how the c-clips go on the top axle ?
        >
        > --
        > Ted Knab
        > Stevensville, MD USA

        Ted Knab
        Stevensville, MD USA
      • Christopher Zach
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 6, 2010
          Theodore Knab wrote:
          > I fixed this. No response is needed anymore.

          Oh good. I assume no one replied because pulling the top off the mower
          is a real pain. I have all of the clips out on my old RL500 and it still
          takes time to pull the fuses, remove all the plugs, and get the top off.

          By the way, it was good meeting you Friday evening. Sorry I didn't have
          more time to talk but I was alone watching the kids and they are... fun.
          However if you want to come over and build a pair of zener regs for your
          battery pack maybe we can do a workshop at my house this summer.

          Anyone else interested in learning how to build zener regulators for
          your battery packs?

          Chris
        • toolman_d
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2010
            If you're talking about where the wheel connects... there are one or more washers/shims and then the c-clip. Make sure you have the washers as the wheel may grab/wear on an unshielded c-clip.

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Theodore Knab <tjk@...> wrote:

            > I fixed this. No response is needed anymore.
            >

            > On 03/06/10 08:34 -0400, Theodore Knab wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > It seems the robot falls apart without those c-clips on the top axle.
            > >
            > > Yesterday my RL1000 gear axle came loose and I was getting an error of
            > > "drive motor overload". It appears my axle popped as a result of some
            > > missing c-clips.
            > >
            > > Does anyone have a close-up picture of how the c-clips go on the top axle ?
            > >
            > > --
            > > Ted Knab
            > > Stevensville, MD USA

            > --
            > Ted Knab
            > Stevensville, MD USA

          • Chuck Grenkow
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2010
              Sure Chris - but Victoria, BC Canada is a bit far ;o) Could you post pictures during the workshop of the process?

              Thanks,

              Chuck G.

              To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
              From: cz@...
              Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 22:35:51 -0400
              Subject: Re: [RoboMower] Doh! gear axle came loose

              Theodore Knab wrote:
              > I fixed this. No response is needed anymore.

              Oh good. I assume no one replied because pulling the top off the mower
              is a real pain. I have all of the clips out on my old RL500 and it still
              takes time to pull the fuses, remove all the plugs, and get the top off.

              By the way, it was good meeting you Friday evening. Sorry I didn't have
              more time to talk but I was alone watching the kids and they are... fun.
              However if you want to come over and build a pair of zener regs for your
              battery pack maybe we can do a workshop at my house this summer.

              Anyone else interested in learning how to build zener regulators for
              your battery packs?

              Chris

            • Benjamin Hill
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 18, 2010
                Well I have been cheering on the Tempest TD22-12 batteries long enough.
                I am now (after one year of use) seeing my Tempest battery providing
                only about 1 hour of runtime while my 2-year old OEM (MK Battery
                ES17-12) is still providing 2+ hours without problem. I alternate both
                batteries and put both through the exact same cycles because it takes
                both to cut my front and back yards. I feel comfortable agreeing with
                other claims that the Tempest is good initially, but the number of 100%
                lifecycle charges is far less than advertized...

                I ordered two EB20-12's last night from Digikey. Which if anyone else
                lives in Jefferson County, KY, be sure and contact the Air Pollution
                Control people for a $50 rebate on a battery purchase with recycling of
                your old one. The rest of you might call your local Air Pollution
                Control Authority and you might see if they offer something similar.

                I am hoping the knowledge gained from this group will help me make my
                new EB20-12's last better than the set that melted on me.

                Ben

              • Tim Wolff
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 18, 2010
                  The TD22-12 cells I purchased in Aug 09 are down to ~ 2Hrs of runtime. I purchased a pair of EB20-12's from Digikey a few weeks ago. So far, so good. I won't be running the pack all the way down to see what run time it is capable of unless it is needed to finish the lawn. I fabricated some charging leads when I wired the pack to allow each battery to be charged seperatley. It will be intresting to see how well balanced the cells stay using them.

                  Tim

                  > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: ben@...
                  > Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:09:58 -0400
                  > Subject: [RoboMower] The Great Battery Debate is Over for Me
                  >
                  > Well I have been cheering on the Tempest TD22-12 batteries long enough.
                  > I am now (after one year of use) seeing my Tempest battery providing
                  > only about 1 hour of runtime while my 2-year old OEM (MK Battery
                  > ES17-12) is still providing 2+ hours without problem. I alternate both
                  > batteries and put both through the exact same cycles because it takes
                  > both to cut my front and back yards. I feel comfortable agreeing with
                  > other claims that the Tempest is good initially, but the number of 100%
                  > lifecycle charges is far less than advertized...
                  >

                  > I ordered two EB20-12's last night from Digikey. Which if anyone else
                  > lives in Jefferson County, KY, be sure and contact the Air Pollution
                  > Control people for a $50 rebate on a battery purchase with recycling of
                  > your old one. The rest of you might call your local Air Pollution
                  > Control Authority and you might see if they offer something similar.
                  >

                  > I am hoping the knowledge gained from this group will help me make my
                  > new EB20-12's last better than the set that melted on me.
                  >

                  > Ben

                • Christopher Zach
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 18, 2010
                    Ben:

                    Can you pls measure the voltages of both batteries when under charge for
                    awhile, and while it's driving around? I'd really like to see if they
                    are unbalanced.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 19, 2010
                      Yep... sorry about that. I had higher expectations of the TD22-12. It
                      didn't pan out.
                      The recommendation for the EB20-12 DID pan out fairly well.
                      EB20-12 hasn't worked perfectly for every single person, but it seems to
                      have done better than than any other battery people have reported
                      experience with.

                      Danny

                      Benjamin Hill wrote:
                      > Well I have been cheering on the Tempest TD22-12 batteries long enough.
                      > I am now (after one year of use) seeing my Tempest battery providing
                      > only about 1 hour of runtime while my 2-year old OEM (MK Battery
                      > ES17-12) is still providing 2+ hours without problem. I alternate both
                      > batteries and put both through the exact same cycles because it takes
                      > both to cut my front and back yards. I feel comfortable agreeing with
                      > other claims that the Tempest is good initially, but the number of 100%
                      > lifecycle charges is far less than advertized...
                      >

                      > I ordered two EB20-12's last night from Digikey. Which if anyone else
                      > lives in Jefferson County, KY, be sure and contact the Air Pollution
                      > Control people for a $50 rebate on a battery purchase with recycling of
                      > your old one. The rest of you might call your local Air Pollution
                      > Control Authority and you might see if they offer something similar.
                      >

                      > I am hoping the knowledge gained from this group will help me make my
                      > new EB20-12's last better than the set that melted on me.
                      >

                      > Ben

                    • VinceS
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 19, 2010
                        This Monday I'm expecting my EB20-12 from DigiKey to arrive to replace my MK ES17-12 batteries. So I'm going to be looking closely at how they perform. I have a RL1000. I'll report on the outcome in the future.

                        My question to everyone that is having good performances, what is the readout of your charging voltage when you read it off the manual controller unit under the "Information" menu? I'm reading 31.6 volts and I'm using a HP charger instead of the original RoboMower charger that fried a few years back.

                        Vince
                        Houston, TX (It's HOT here!)

                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin Hill" <ben@...> wrote:

                        > Well I have been cheering on the Tempest TD22-12 batteries long enough.
                        > I am now (after one year of use) seeing my Tempest battery providing
                        > only about 1 hour of runtime while my 2-year old OEM (MK Battery
                        > ES17-12) is still providing 2+ hours without problem. I alternate both
                        > batteries and put both through the exact same cycles because it takes
                        > both to cut my front and back yards. I feel comfortable agreeing with
                        > other claims that the Tempest is good initially, but the number of 100%
                        > lifecycle charges is far less than advertized...
                        >

                        > I ordered two EB20-12's last night from Digikey. Which if anyone else
                        > lives in Jefferson County, KY, be sure and contact the Air Pollution
                        > Control people for a $50 rebate on a battery purchase with recycling of
                        > your old one. The rest of you might call your local Air Pollution
                        > Control Authority and you might see if they offer something similar.
                        >

                        > I am hoping the knowledge gained from this group will help me make my
                        > new EB20-12's last better than the set that melted on me.
                        >

                        > Ben

                      • Robert Silva
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 19, 2010
                          I think one of the keys to battery longevity is recharging the pack
                          before it runs down too low. My dock zone is 2h40m and I may reduce
                          that down another step. My other zones are under 2hrs. If all your
                          zones are MAX you may be exercising the battery too much.

                          -Bob

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 19, 2010
                            Yup. That's definitely ONE problem.

                            The other is fast charging warm batteries.
                            Another is the balancing issue.

                            Danny

                          • Joseph Karaisz
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 19, 2010
                              Good point

                              On Jun 19, 2010, at 1:52 PM, Robert Silva wrote:

                              > I think one of the keys to battery longevity is recharging the pack
                              > before it runs down too low. My dock zone is 2h40m and I may reduce
                              > that down another step. My other zones are under 2hrs. If all your
                              > zones are MAX you may be exercising the battery too much.
                              >
                              > -Bob
                              >
                              > On Jun 19, 2010, at 11:38 AM, "VinceS" <vinces123@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > This Monday I'm expecting my EB20-12 from DigiKey to arrive to
                              > > replace my MK ES17-12 batteries. So I'm going to be looking closely
                              > > at how they perform. I have a RL1000. I'll report on the outcome in
                              > > the future.
                              > >
                              > > My question to everyone that is having good performances, what is
                              > > the readout of your charging voltage when you read it off the manual
                              > > controller unit under the "Information" menu? I'm reading 31.6 volts
                              > > and I'm using a HP charger instead of the original RoboMower charger
                              > > that fried a few years back.
                              > >
                              > > Vince
                              > > Houston, TX (It's HOT here!)
                              > >
                              > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin Hill" <ben@...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Well I have been cheering on the Tempest TD22-12 batteries long
                              > > enough.
                              > > > I am now (after one year of use) seeing my Tempest battery providing
                              > > > only about 1 hour of runtime while my 2-year old OEM (MK Battery
                              > > > ES17-12) is still providing 2+ hours without problem. I alternate
                              > > both
                              > > > batteries and put both through the exact same cycles because it
                              > > takes
                              > > > both to cut my front and back yards. I feel comfortable agreeing
                              > > with
                              > > > other claims that the Tempest is good initially, but the number of
                              > > 100%
                              > > > lifecycle charges is far less than advertized...
                              > > >

                              > > > I ordered two EB20-12's last night from Digikey. Which if anyone
                              > > else
                              > > > lives in Jefferson County, KY, be sure and contact the Air Pollution
                              > > > Control people for a $50 rebate on a battery purchase with
                              > > recycling of
                              > > > your old one. The rest of you might call your local Air Pollution
                              > > > Control Authority and you might see if they offer something similar.
                              > > >

                              > > > I am hoping the knowledge gained from this group will help me make
                              > > my
                              > > > new EB20-12's last better than the set that melted on me.
                              > > >

                              > > > Ben

                            • VinceS
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 20, 2010
                                I agree! This is called the D.O.D., Depth of Discharge. For the EB20-12, you will get 300 cycles of life from the battery if you use it to 100% D.O.D. and 800 cycles at 50% D.O.D. according to the specs. Also how hard the RoboMower is working (amps being used) because of tall grass will shorten the available cutting time a great deal.

                                In Houston where I live it's HOT! I'm also worried about shortening the battery life due to charging a very hot battery after a mowing.

                                Somethings I have no control over but I can control the mower from working too hard by not waiting too long between mowings and capping the cutting time.

                                I'll be monitoring more closely this summer's cutting season.

                                Vince

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 20, 2010
                                  At first that sounds like batteries last nearly forever if discharge is
                                  limited.
                                  But note this- a 100% DOD provides twice the runtime of a 50% DOD.
                                  Therefore, the 50% DOD provides 800 half-cycles, the equivalent runtime
                                  of 400 full cycles.

                                  So yes it's more, 33% more total runtime. Which is certainly
                                  significant, but it's not a totally different sort of number.

                                  On the other hand, if you're pretty much done with mowing at 50% DOD but
                                  just let it run until dead because it's got charge left and you can,
                                  then yes, it's definitely reducing the number of mows you get. But
                                  relatively few people have that situation.

                                  I am pretty annoyed that the RM800 didn't let you give mowing stop point
                                  by voltage. Mine often gets stuck on things and has to be restarted,
                                  which blows the "mowing time" count. Or, I have to move it from yard to
                                  yard, which creates a similar problem.

                                  Danny