Re: [RoboMower] Re: I have read this forum for a while where do you get 2 batteries for $80 total

    Message 1 of 18 , May 6, 2010
      I believe he means the fact that they're being run down in the first place.

      I think it's both. Imbalance is a problem. Thermal runaway is probably
      killing batts periodically too.

      I don't believe the zener reg is really doing what it's supposed to.
      The tolerance on the voltages is much worse than what the batt needs.
      In fact, it can potentially throw the batts OUT of balance. In the
      worst case, it may cause the charger to fail to progress through the
      charge stages and that can be a major hazard.

      Danny

      Christopher Zach wrote:
      > Tim Wolff wrote:
      >
      >> The inexpensive batteries are not deep cycle cells. Hang all the diodes you want on them. Charging is not what kills the cheap batteries, it is the discharge they get in the mower.
      >>

      > I do not agree, and to quote a person who annoys the daylights out of me
      > on the US Electricar list (because he's right)
      >
      > Show me the data.
      >
      > This afternoon I checked on my RL500. It was still charging, one bulb
      > was dim, the other off. This shows a voltage differential on charge with
      > one battery being a bit faster than the other. And if this happens on
      > new matched batteries, it's only a matter of time before they would
      > slide out of sync and one would die first while the other sulphated.
      >
      > Why would the rather low discharge rates of a Robomower kill the batteries?

    • Tim Wolff
      Message 2 of 18 , May 13, 2010
        I recall someone on the list looking for a power supply recently and ran across this one on eBay. A robomower part that isn't priced like it is gold plated for a change.

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300427296959&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

        Not my auction nor do I know the seller.

        Tim

      • krip321
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 11, 2011
          Where is the rebuild power pack info on this forum?

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 11, 2011
            Around pg 3 or 4 of his feedback, someone left him positive feedback for
            a sale of these directions.

            http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Battery_pack

            The short:
            Go to Digikey.com, buy two EB20-12 batteries to make one Robomower battery.
            Pop the top of the Robomower batt case with a big flatblade screwdriver,
            replace the batts, wiring the same way they came out. Don't mix up the
            + and - sides of course. This is a 10-minute job.

            The EB20-12 are somewhat expensive, there are "kind of" cheaper batts
            out there, but most all of the cheaper ones have failed within a season,
            and they were no bargain at all in the end.

            Digikey is a good source. They're reasonable on shipping, don't screw
            you with old batteries or play bait-and-switch where they send a cheapo
            Universal-brand battery under an advertised billing as an "EB20-12
            replacement".

            Danny

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 11, 2011
              Thanks for the www.robomowerwiki.com link Danny! Exactly what I needed!

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

              > Around pg 3 or 4 of his feedback, someone left him positive feedback for
              > a sale of these directions.
              >
              > http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Battery_pack
              >
              > The short:
              > Go to Digikey.com, buy two EB20-12 batteries to make one Robomower battery.
              > Pop the top of the Robomower batt case with a big flatblade screwdriver,
              > replace the batts, wiring the same way they came out. Don't mix up the
              > + and - sides of course. This is a 10-minute job.
              >
              > The EB20-12 are somewhat expensive, there are "kind of" cheaper batts
              > out there, but most all of the cheaper ones have failed within a season,
              > and they were no bargain at all in the end.
              >
              > Digikey is a good source. They're reasonable on shipping, don't screw
              > you with old batteries or play bait-and-switch where they send a cheapo
              > Universal-brand battery under an advertised billing as an "EB20-12
              > replacement".
              >
              > Danny
              >
              > On 2/11/2011 9:42 AM, krip321 wrote:
              > > Where is the rebuild power pack info on this forum?
              > >
              > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Frans"<voorde@> wrote:
              > >> http://cgi.ebay.com/Directions-Rebuild-Robomower-Battery-power-pack-/350349942001?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51927bdcf1
              > >>
              > >> I wonder how many pdf files this guy has sold?
              > >>
              > >> The information is for free on this forum.

            • Ben Sporl
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 21, 2011
                $20? wow. I guess knowledge is everything.

                I guess that's why my mom asks me to help turn on her computer. Some people
                need that extra help.