"Directions how to Rebuild Robomower Battery power pack"

  • Frans
    Message 1 of 18 , May 4, 2010
    • peedeethepirate
      Message 2 of 18 , May 5, 2010
        Message 3 of 18 , May 5, 2010
          The best deal seems to be a pair of the EB20-12 from Digikey.com.
          You'll pay more than $80, but they should last.
          The Tempest TD22-12 deal was somewhat cheaper, but people who tried them
          generally said the long-term performance didn't pan out.

          Danny
        • peedeethepirate
          Message 4 of 18 , May 5, 2010
            That is what I am saying this guy is selling plans he says can rebuild a battery pack for only $80. The post started by saying all that same information is on this site. I say maybe he knows something, but probably a scam who will be the first to spend $20 to find out.
          • Tim Wolff
            Message 5 of 18 , May 5, 2010
              Save your $$.

              I can get replacement batteries locally for about $30-$35 ea. They won't last a single season in a Robomower.

              Tim

              Message 6 of 18 , May 5, 2010
                He sells other stuff too.

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem
                <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120524463076>
                &item=120524463076

                Message 7 of 18 , May 5, 2010
                  Tim Wolff wrote:
                  > Save your $$.
                  >

                  > I can get replacement batteries locally for about $30-$35 ea. They won't last a single season in a Robomower.

                  I will say that with the zener regulators on both Robomowers are
                  charging properly and going to "Charge complete" when finished. And the
                  bulbs do come on at slightly different times for the new batteries,
                  different times for the 10 year old Yusa and the 5 year old APC battery.

                  Cost of regulators: About $4.00 in parts for each Robomower.

                  Chris
                • Tim Wolff
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 6, 2010
                    The inexpensive batteries are not deep cycle cells. Hang all the diodes you want on them. Charging is not what kills the cheap batteries, it is the discharge they get in the mower.

                    > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: cz@...
                    > Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 23:10:35 -0400
                    > Subject: Re: [RoboMower] Re: I have read this forum for a while where do you get 2 batteries for $80 total
                    >
                    > Tim Wolff wrote:
                    > > Save your $$.
                    > >

                    > > I can get replacement batteries locally for about $30-$35 ea. They won't last a single season in a Robomower.
                    >
                    > I will say that with the zener regulators on both Robomowers are
                    > charging properly and going to "Charge complete" when finished. And the
                    > bulbs do come on at slightly different times for the new batteries,
                    > different times for the 10 year old Yusa and the 5 year old APC battery.
                    >
                    > Cost of regulators: About $4.00 in parts for each Robomower.
                    >
                    > Chris

                  • Christopher Zach
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 6, 2010
                      Tim Wolff wrote:
                      > The inexpensive batteries are not deep cycle cells. Hang all the diodes you want on them. Charging is not what kills the cheap batteries, it is the discharge they get in the mower.

                      I do not agree, and to quote a person who annoys the daylights out of me
                      on the US Electricar list (because he's right)

                      Show me the data.

                      This afternoon I checked on my RL500. It was still charging, one bulb
                      was dim, the other off. This shows a voltage differential on charge with
                      one battery being a bit faster than the other. And if this happens on
                      new matched batteries, it's only a matter of time before they would
                      slide out of sync and one would die first while the other sulphated.

                      Why would the rather low discharge rates of a Robomower kill the batteries?

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 6, 2010
                        If you’re arguing that you can use regular batteries on the Robomower, don’t
                        worry you’ll get the data. BTDT.

                        There are some batteries that do well in the Robo. Others don’t last 6
                        months before the runtime is under 2 hours and useless. Once under 2 hours
                        they decline very rapidly.

                        There is experience described here, with numbers, on various batteries. You
                        don’t have to believe it, but there is hard earned (expensive) experience as
                        well.

                        Dan

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 6, 2010
                          Dan Barclay wrote:
                          > If you’re arguing that you can use regular batteries on the Robomower, don’t
                          > worry you’ll get the data. BTDT.

                          Ok. I'm using Power-Sonic 17ah ones. Pretty good-ish make, not Hawkers
                          but I don't think the regen on a Robomower is that much.

                          > There is experience described here, with numbers, on various batteries. You
                          > don’t have to believe it, but there is hard earned (expensive) experience as
                          > well.

                          I know. But what I see mostly is anecdotal, not "this battery pack was
                          pulled apart and here's what the batteries looked like" or "while
                          driving along here was the voltage on each battery" or whatever.

                          That's why I took the time and money to put a whole Paktrakr interface
                          on a new pack. And why I am shooting the time to run a second Robo with
                          a totally whacked-out pack (a several year old battery plus a 10 year
                          old never used Yusa is about as weird as it will get).

                          I'm not totally new on this, I drive a US Electricar Prizm with 50 26ah
                          batteries in it. I toasted two packs of Hawkers before figuring out that
                          yes, you need battery regulators of some sort because even at an average
                          voltage of 350v (14vpb) some were at 12 and some were sitting at 16. And
                          I run my shed on 24v 80ah AGM batteries with a solar charger, I got
                          tired of replacing them every year so I put in regs and the current set
                          has been going for *years*.

                          I just want to do something to make the RL battery packs last longer. I
                          think it's possible, and I think that part of the problem is lack of
                          regulation on charge. I burned up one used set of batteries, and was
                          well on the way to killing a second set when I put in the zeners.

                          Time will tell. But it would be handy to have someone else do this.
                          Takes 30 minutes with a soldering iron to make em, and it doesn't screw
                          up the charge algorythm so what do you have to lose?

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 6, 2010
                            I'm not familiar with Power Sonic. I'm guessing they have more than one
                            battery type. If the batteries you're using were designed for, say, UPS
                            other "standby" service they're not likely to last long in the Robomower.

                            Data sheets on batteries will show expected service after XX cycles. In
                            addition, the 17ah capacity depends on the discharge rate. You'll normally
                            get 4 to 6 amp load while mowing, batteries designed for 17ah at 1 amp will
                            have a different (lower) capacity at 4 amps.

                            The data you'll find here will likely be reports on mower cycle times after
                            some period of usage.

                            It sounds like you have a handle on the importance of balanced batteries in
                            a pack, and that's a big part of things, but in the Robomower all you really
                            need to do is keep batteries paired for life. You can also split used pairs
                            and get a little more life from them, but not much.

                            This isn't exactly the same application as the Prizm unless you're running
                            it to the range limit at constant speed on every charge. That's what most
                            Robomowers do, which results in deep discharge on every cycle.

                            Batteries have different internal construction depending on expected usage.
                            Like a fishing boat, you'll have one kind of battery for starting the
                            outboard motor... a completely different kind for running the trolling
                            motor.

                            There are some batteries that have had good results in Robomowers, some
                            others that are almost useless (I've had some of both!). As you run your
                            batteries, pay attention to how you're running them and let us know your
                            results. We're always looking for less expensive (but good) batteries.

                            Dan

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 6, 2010
                              I believe he means the fact that they're being run down in the first place.

                              I think it's both. Imbalance is a problem. Thermal runaway is probably
                              killing batts periodically too.

                              I don't believe the zener reg is really doing what it's supposed to.
                              The tolerance on the voltages is much worse than what the batt needs.
                              In fact, it can potentially throw the batts OUT of balance. In the
                              worst case, it may cause the charger to fail to progress through the
                              charge stages and that can be a major hazard.

                              Danny

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 13, 2010
                                I recall someone on the list looking for a power supply recently and ran across this one on eBay. A robomower part that isn't priced like it is gold plated for a change.

                                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300427296959&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

                                Not my auction nor do I know the seller.

                                Tim

                              • krip321
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 11, 2011
                                  Where is the rebuild power pack info on this forum?

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 11, 2011
                                    Around pg 3 or 4 of his feedback, someone left him positive feedback for
                                    a sale of these directions.

                                    http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Battery_pack

                                    The short:
                                    Go to Digikey.com, buy two EB20-12 batteries to make one Robomower battery.
                                    Pop the top of the Robomower batt case with a big flatblade screwdriver,
                                    replace the batts, wiring the same way they came out. Don't mix up the
                                    + and - sides of course. This is a 10-minute job.

                                    The EB20-12 are somewhat expensive, there are "kind of" cheaper batts
                                    out there, but most all of the cheaper ones have failed within a season,
                                    and they were no bargain at all in the end.

                                    Digikey is a good source. They're reasonable on shipping, don't screw
                                    you with old batteries or play bait-and-switch where they send a cheapo
                                    Universal-brand battery under an advertised billing as an "EB20-12
                                    replacement".

                                    Danny

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 11, 2011
                                      Thanks for the www.robomowerwiki.com link Danny! Exactly what I needed!

                                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                                      > Around pg 3 or 4 of his feedback, someone left him positive feedback for
                                      > a sale of these directions.
                                      >
                                      > http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Battery_pack
                                      >
                                      > The short:
                                      > Go to Digikey.com, buy two EB20-12 batteries to make one Robomower battery.
                                      > Pop the top of the Robomower batt case with a big flatblade screwdriver,
                                      > replace the batts, wiring the same way they came out. Don't mix up the
                                      > + and - sides of course. This is a 10-minute job.
                                      >
                                      > The EB20-12 are somewhat expensive, there are "kind of" cheaper batts
                                      > out there, but most all of the cheaper ones have failed within a season,
                                      > and they were no bargain at all in the end.
                                      >
                                      > Digikey is a good source. They're reasonable on shipping, don't screw
                                      > you with old batteries or play bait-and-switch where they send a cheapo
                                      > Universal-brand battery under an advertised billing as an "EB20-12
                                      > replacement".
                                      >
                                      > Danny
                                      >
                                      > On 2/11/2011 9:42 AM, krip321 wrote:
                                      > > Where is the rebuild power pack info on this forum?
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Frans"<voorde@> wrote:
                                      > >> http://cgi.ebay.com/Directions-Rebuild-Robomower-Battery-power-pack-/350349942001?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51927bdcf1
                                      > >>
                                      > >> I wonder how many pdf files this guy has sold?
                                      > >>
                                      > >> The information is for free on this forum.

                                    • Ben Sporl
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 21, 2011
                                        $20? wow. I guess knowledge is everything.

                                        I guess that's why my mom asks me to help turn on her computer. Some people
                                        need that extra help.