Re: [RoboMower] response to Iggy @ Zone Hopping

  • Patti
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
       we're actually getting the driveway and sidewalk paved this summer.  Maybe I can bury it under the hot top.  Of course, we're paying for the sidewalk, not the town, but it needs it bad and I can't see putting in a driveway without doing the sidewalks as well--they're all bumpy and broken up since we just had town sewer put in last summer and it ruined most of the sidewalks around here.

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hmmm...I don't know about burying it under the hot top. I think the max under dirt is 3-4 inches. Going deeper can result in the mower getting a weak signal. I can't wait to see your sketch of the yard. Your yard seems interesting.

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Patti
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
          well, it's not actually going to be full thickness hot top--it's already hot topped but they're putting on a new top coat to even it all out--maybe if I picked areas where it will be pretty thin.

          I can't draw very well--think I'll just take some digital pics in the daylight tomorrow and email you those with some measurements.  Suppose to be another unusually warm and sunny day here again tomorrow--Yahoo!

          has notified the sender that this message has been received.

        • terry_veldhuizen
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
            Patti,

            Might I recomend that you lay down some plactic pipe (around 1/2 or
            3/4 inch) under the sidewalk and driveway. The plastic conduit type
            is a little thicker than the schedule 40 PVC pipe, or get shchedule
            80 PCV pipe. That way you could pull through a wire, and replace it
            in the future if required. I have went as deep as 8" below the
            surface and my RL 500 has never missed it and went awol. If it were
            me, I would get a piece of pipe about 8"-10" longer than the width of
            the sidewalk, tape both ends closed, then after the concrete forms
            are in place I would slip the pipe under the forms and let them lay
            the re-bar (if any) and pour the concrete. After the forms are
            removed and the crew leaves, you can dig where the pipe is run the
            wire through it. A depth of more than 4" also protects the wire
            should anyone edge the sidewalks.

            Be sure to check with the crew so they do not remove the pipe prior
            to pouring the concrete.

            Good Luck
            Terry Veldhuizen