RoboRuler

  • duane5050
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2010
      Hello everyone,

      When I bought my RL500, used, a couple of weeks back, it didn't come with the RoboRuler. What distance do I need to be off a wall/fence? 16"? 18"?

      Thanks,
      Duane
    • Tim Wolff
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2010
        Mine says 12" from the edge and 18" from the wall.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2010
          I suggest you play with it. Stake the wire "lightly" at first, then run the
          mower down the wire. Also start the mower in the center and let it find the
          wire.

          I created a 1-2-3 stake rule for my own use, I don't use the RoboRuler. I
          use the green plastic wire stakes.

          1 stake length from sidewalks (mower overlaps the walk to mow all the
          grass).

          2 stake lengths from "soft" edges like flower beds that don't care if the
          wheel goes over the edge and don't have anything to "bump".

          3 stake lengths from "hard" edges like walls/fences.

          The issue isn't just having the mower track down the wall without bumping.
          The mower also has to be able to "acquire" the wire (find it and get started
          following it). The "acquire" operation isn't as important for the RL500 as
          it is for the RL1000 that has to go back to the dock, but it needs to get
          started on the wire in order to edge. So long as you have one section you
          start it edging on you should be OK I think.

          If you play with it a bit you'll also notice that the mower will lead or lag
          a turn depending on whether the wire turns left or right. If you're trying
          to get the mower as close as you can to an edge you can move the wire a
          little left or right just before the turn to compensate.

          Dan