Re: [RoboMower] RL500 transformer?

  • David Sparks
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
      I just used an old 30v printer external supply for an early HP printer. It put out about 3/4 the current as the original, but the batteries remain cool while charging. It now takes about 18 hours to charge where as before only took about 10 to 12. Been using it for about 3 years now.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
        So other than an HP printer power supply are there any other suggestions for
        a replacement for an RL500? Is there anything I can pick up at the local
        Radio Shack?

        Thanks!

        Paul

      • Austin Morgan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
          RadioShack did not have anything sufficiently large enough last time I
          checked (about a year ago). Digikey does though, and they have models that
          are water proof, and high temp so they will not go out on you as requently.
          You can look on your current supply to see what the output requirements are.

          Austin

          > So other than an HP printer power supply are there any other suggestions
          for
          > a replacement for an RL500? Is there anything I can pick up at the local
          > Radio Shack?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Paul

        • TinaP
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
            Hi Paul,
            Have you opened up your transformer yet? It is a very common problem for the fuse to blow inside of the transformer unit. If I remember correctly I think it is a 2 amp fuse but I may be incorrect. It may be an easy repair to just solder a new fuse and and get you up and running again. Unfortunatly you can not do that with the RL-1000 units becase the transformers are covered by epoxy to make them waterproof. I think this causes many premature failures due to overheating on these units.

            Thanks,
            William