RL500 transformer?

  • Paul Griswold
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
      Hi guys -

      I thought my original batteries for my RL500 (woot bot) were shot because I
      kept getting a charging error. I bought some Tempests and when I went to
      charge them up, I got the same error as before.

      There's a chance the transformer got soaked when my barn partially flooded
      last year, so now I'm wondering what sort of replacement options are
      available?

      Is this just a basic power supply I can get from any electronics parts
      store? Or am I going to have to pay a premium for a real robomower supply?

      Thanks!

      Paul

    • David Sparks
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
        I just used an old 30v printer external supply for an early HP printer. It put out about 3/4 the current as the original, but the batteries remain cool while charging. It now takes about 18 hours to charge where as before only took about 10 to 12. Been using it for about 3 years now.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
          So other than an HP printer power supply are there any other suggestions for
          a replacement for an RL500? Is there anything I can pick up at the local
          Radio Shack?

          Thanks!

          Paul

        • Austin Morgan
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
            RadioShack did not have anything sufficiently large enough last time I
            checked (about a year ago). Digikey does though, and they have models that
            are water proof, and high temp so they will not go out on you as requently.
            You can look on your current supply to see what the output requirements are.

            Austin

            > So other than an HP printer power supply are there any other suggestions
            for
            > a replacement for an RL500? Is there anything I can pick up at the local
            > Radio Shack?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Paul

          • TinaP
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
              Hi Paul,
              Have you opened up your transformer yet? It is a very common problem for the fuse to blow inside of the transformer unit. If I remember correctly I think it is a 2 amp fuse but I may be incorrect. It may be an easy repair to just solder a new fuse and and get you up and running again. Unfortunatly you can not do that with the RL-1000 units becase the transformers are covered by epoxy to make them waterproof. I think this causes many premature failures due to overheating on these units.

              Thanks,
              William