RE: [RoboMower] Water proofing the RL500

  • Tim Wolff
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2010
      You can protect the electronics and switches with a product called Crossion-X. It sprays on. I've seen it demonstrated with a working television submerged in a fish tank or some foolishness like that. Radio control boaters and floatplane fliers use it to protect the electronics in those vehicles.

      My 3rd mower arrived today. So Kutter and Katrina have a new roomie that we have to name. Hopefully, the new arrival will follow the perimiter wire better once I run it through the calibration. Right now, its name is Kaos.

      > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      > From: neverheardofhim@...
      > Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 01:38:17 +0000
      > Subject: [RoboMower] Water proofing the RL500
      >
      > Has any body had any success with water proofing. I know the manual controller is the problem. All my controller's I applied dielectric grease to the silicon buttons and all joints. Will see since the mower's are staying in the yard and am just going to exchange batteries. I have over an acre to mow so Blondie, Angle eyes and Tuco will have there own zone to mow.

    • Ben Sporl
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
        Overall, the RL500 is supposed to be "water resistant", but you're right about the controller. It seems to be the primary point of failure when it comes to water concerns.

        The other concern is it's lack of ability to detect rain and quit running. The motors may not be as well insulated, so as long as you see the rain and stop them manually you should be good.

        I like the idea of Crossion-X, let me known how it work out. It'll be good for ALL robomowers, including the RL1000's that start to age and lose their seals.

        ________________________________
        You can protect the electronics and switches with a product called Crossion-X. It sprays on. I've seen it demonstrated with a working television submerged in a fish tank or some foolishness like that. Radio control boaters and floatplane fliers use it to protect the electronics in those vehicles.

        My 3rd mower arrived today. So Kutter and Katrina have a new roomie that we have to name. Hopefully, the new arrival will follow the perimiter wire better once I run it through the calibration. Right now, its name is Kaos.

        > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
        > From: neverheardofhim@...
        > Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 01:38:17 +0000
        > Subject: [RoboMower] Water proofing the RL500
        >
        > Has any body had any success with water proofing. I know the manual controller is the problem. All my controller's I applied dielectric grease to the silicon buttons and all joints. Will see since the mower's are staying in the yard and am just going to exchange batteries. I have over an acre to mow so Blondie, Angle eyes and Tuco will have there own zone to mow.

      • ricew0
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
          The correct spelling is Corrosion-X and it is available here:
          http://www.corrosionxse.com/index.html
          Ward

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
            I have not used the product. My RL800/850s don't dock and seldom get caught out in the rain or a sprinkler. I do own a radio controlled airplane receiver that was treated by the previous owner. It feels a bit slippery, but works just fine.

            Water won't hurt the motors themselves. I used to run Radio Control car motors underwater to seat the brushes w/o getting things too warm.

            Tim

            > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
            > From: bsporl@...
            > Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 06:22:49 -0700
            > Subject: Re: [RoboMower] Water proofing the RL500
            >
            > Overall, the RL500 is supposed to be "water resistant", but you're right about the controller. It seems to be the primary point of failure when it comes to water concerns.
            >
            > The other concern is it's lack of ability to detect rain and quit running. The motors may not be as well insulated, so as long as you see the rain and stop them manually you should be good.
            >
            > I like the idea of Crossion-X, let me known how it work out. It'll be good for ALL robomowers, including the RL1000's that start to age and lose their seals.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Ken Hawn
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
              am I the only person still using the 550? Anyway, when
              My controller gets wet I just use my wife's hair dryer on it.

              Sent from my iPhone. Ken Hawn

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                Wife's hair dryer? First thing I pictured was driving the mower through the house, into the bedroom, then into the bathroom.

                I guess it's easier to simply move the hair dryer to the garage.

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __
                You can protect the electronics and switches with a product called Crossion-X. It sprays on. I've seen it demonstrated with a working television submerged in a fish tank or some foolishness like that. Radio control boaters and floatplane fliers use it to protect the electronics in those vehicles.

                My 3rd mower arrived today. So Kutter and Katrina have a new roomie that we have to name. Hopefully, the new arrival will follow the perimiter wire better once I run it through the calibration. Right now, its name is Kaos.

                > To: RoboMower@yahoogrou ps.com
                > From: neverheardofhim@ sbcglobal. net
                > Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 01:38:17 +0000
                > Subject: [RoboMower] Water proofing the RL500
                >
                > Has any body had any success with water proofing. I know the manual controller is the problem. All my controller's I applied dielectric grease to the silicon buttons and all joints. Will see since the mower's are staying in the yard and am just going to exchange batteries. I have over an acre to mow so Blondie, Angle eyes and Tuco will have there own zone to mow.

                http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 210850552/ direct/01/

              • Ken Hawn
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                  the mower was only in the house once. It was new in the box then (about 5 years ago). I take the dryer to the shed. It has been rained on a few times. Good idea to put controller In plastic bag if u want to run it in the rain.

                  Sent from my iPhone. Ken Hawn

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                    This is similar to WD40, and I wouldn't recommend it in any way for
                    spraying inside the mower. It's an oil spray.

                    It probably won't harm the plastics, but it'll just gunk up the
                    insides. It could potentially harm the LCD, but it'll probably be ok.

                    It may interfere with the buttons, since their contact surfaces with be
                    coated with an insulator.

                    Now I've had water problems several times, but they never permanently
                    harmed the electronics or LCD. Well, it stopped working until I dried
                    it out. The real problem was the LCD window getting fogged by entrapped
                    moisture. And spraying this stuff inside probably won't do that since
                    that's probably intrusion around the gasket.

                    But, I mean, if you spray them down with this oil stuff, the LCD and
                    window are not gonna look right for sure. There's be an oily film on
                    the LCD and window.

                    Danny

                    ricew0 wrote:
                    > The correct spelling is Corrosion-X and it is available here:
                    > http://www.corrosionxse.com/index.html
                    > Ward
                    >
                    > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Overall, the RL500 is supposed to be "water resistant", but you're right about the controller. It seems to be the primary point of failure when it comes to water concerns.
                    >>
                    >> The other concern is it's lack of ability to detect rain and quit running. The motors may not be as well insulated, so as long as you see the rain and stop them manually you should be good.
                    >>
                    >> I like the idea of Crossion-X, let me known how it work out. It'll be good for ALL robomowers, including the RL1000's that start to age and lose their seals.
                    >>

                    >> ________________________________

                  • Robert Silva
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                      My RL1000 ended up at the bottom of my pool last summer. I let him dry for a couple days, blew canned-air over his shiney bits, and he worked fine the rest of the season. He also somehow made it into my toddler's inflatable kiddie pool where he apparently circled around helplessly trying to get out. There was a few inches of water in it. The amazing thing is he didn't puncture the pool! Neither the inflatable sides or the bottom got damaged.

                      -Bob

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                        Sounds like you need to keep that boy on a tight leash. He may hurt himself if he keeps getting out.

                        ________________________________

                        ricew0 wrote:
                        > The correct spelling is Corrosion-X and it is available here:
                        > http://www.corrosionxse.com/index.html
                        > Ward
                        >
                        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogrou ps.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Overall, the RL500 is supposed to be "water resistant", but you're right about the controller. It seems to be the primary point of failure when it comes to water concerns.
                        >>
                        >> The other concern is it's lack of ability to detect rain and quit running. The motors may not be as well insulated, so as long as you see the rain and stop them manually you should be good.
                        >>
                        >> I like the idea of Crossion-X, let me known how it work out. It'll be good for ALL robomowers, including the RL1000's that start to age and lose their seals.

                      • A R Pennycuff
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                          I am still using all 3 of the RL500's that I bought from woot.com years ago. Many people mention that the old gearboxes would not hold up but I have not had the first problem with these. They have been upgraded with new chips and also knobby tires. I bought my first RL1000 3 seasons ago and within 2 months the gears stripped out of 1 side so I returned it to Costco for a refund. The next year I decided that I the first RL1000 was probably just a dud so I bought another one from Costco. The gears stripped out of it in just over a month so I returned it also. Next mower will probably be be Ambrogio Evolution.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                            My RL1000 also came from Costco and is about the same age, 3 years. The gears still looked great when I removed the cover last season.

                            -Bob