RL2000 listed on Robomower site

  • markf123452001
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2010
      Any idea what the difference is compared to the RL 1000 ?

      http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/robomow/rl2000/
    • Austin Morgan
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2010
        They claim it can handle a 14% larger yard. Of course I find their estimates
        unrealistic for any duration due to battery degregation.

        Austin

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2010
          Looks like new year, new model number. Dealers, please correct me if I'm wrong.

          FR's never been good at marketing. Their web site "Compare with other Models" doesn't show the RL2000 on the top row, I still see pics of the RL500 with slicks, and they still have that cheesy video showing a yellow mower colored green.

          Othewise, RL1000 mowed 5242 meters while the RL2000 mows 4000 meters. HUGE change in mowing capabilities. Oh, and the RL2000 is 2 lbs heavier. Maybe a rounding error.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 25, 2010
            A "well-informed source" told me that the perimeter switch was going to be a different, (digital(?)) system. Don't know if the innovation indeed found its way to the production line; anyway there is a new (2010) perimeter switch.

            MRK5002C : perimeterswitch 230V - 107,69 euro incl btw
            MRK5006A : accuset for perimeter (MRK5002C) - 65,34 euro incl btw

            http://www.handydistribution.co.uk/price/Robomow%20Price%20List%20January%202010.pdf

            One of the tables shows 20Ah batteries.

            Also there is a RL855 instead of 850.

            When you Google RL2000 it turns out to be the identification of quite a few other gadgets. Adding "friendly" and/or "robotics" eliminates most of these.

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@...> wrote:

            > Looks like new year, new model number. Dealers, please correct me if I'm wrong.
            >
            > FR's never been good at marketing. Their web site "Compare with other Models" doesn't show the RL2000 on the top row, I still see pics of the RL500 with slicks, and they still have that cheesy video showing a yellow mower colored green.
            >
            > Othewise, RL1000 mowed 5242 meters while the RL2000 mows 4000 meters. HUGE change in mowing capabilities. Oh, and the RL2000 is 2 lbs heavier. Maybe a rounding error.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Geri
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2010
              I have been informed by the main dealer in Germany about the following
              improvements for RL2000:
              * Docking station can be located externally of the wire loop (up to
              10 meters or more?) same as for RM * New perimeter switch and new
              wire signal processing resulting in definte detection of internal and
              external positions regarding the wire loop. * Mowing should become
              possible in sharp corners and narrow pathways * Standard batteries
              with more capacity 20Ah * Temperature monitoring of each driving and
              cutting motor individually * Waterproof housing of manual control
              unit, sirene instead of speaker * More reliable, better quality
              devices on the main board * Slightly lower price at least in
              Germany

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "markf123452001" <mark@...> wrote:

              > Any idea what the difference is compared to the RL 1000 ?
              >
              > http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/robomow/rl2000/

            • Frans
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 25, 2010
                Looks like my "well informed source" really was well informed them.
                Internal/external intelligence was also mentioned. FR really seems to have put in a lot of effort and I really would like to hear how these improvement work out in real life.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 26, 2010
                  Ha just got in some 20AH LiFePO4 cells to build a battery...
                  this should be fun.

                  I need to design and build a decent BMS. This is no small task...
                  there's a lot of crappy BMS's out there, I wanna do one properly.

                  Wow, there actually is a lot of extra volume here in the pack! Well, no
                  shortage of room for a BMS. I did look to see if I'd be able to double
                  up the cells and make a 40AH pack, but the math says no.

                  Danny
                • Frans
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 27, 2010
                    Don't I LOVE abbreviations!!!!

                    BMS = Battery Management System (???) which in my humble opinion is a posh word for controller.

                    Will the BMS effectively fool the Robomower electronics into thinking this is a Gel type lead battery fit for Deep Discharge. Or do you have to charge outside Robomow? In that case the docking feature becomes inoperabele, which is a big disadvantage IMHO.

                    If you can not fit in 40Ah, why not 30Ah? Can you explain about "but the math says no"? - reminds me of Little Britain! What will be your typical charging time? From what I saw on RC cars and airplanes in the order of 10 minutes? That would somewhat do away the docking station issue, I think.

                    Last but not least the cost an how long are they projected to last?
                    Where did you buy them?

                    Thanks,

                    Frans the Stationmaster

                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                    > Ha just got in some 20AH LiFePO4 cells to build a battery...
                    > this should be fun.
                    >
                    > I need to design and build a decent BMS. This is no small task...
                    > there's a lot of crappy BMS's out there, I wanna do one properly.
                    >
                    > Wow, there actually is a lot of extra volume here in the pack! Well, no
                    > shortage of room for a BMS. I did look to see if I'd be able to double
                    > up the cells and make a 40AH pack, but the math says no.
                    >
                    > Danny

                  • richard gard
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 27, 2010
                      Danny,
                      Good luck. I have been hoping someone would try this soon. Please take some pictures and post if possible.
                      Richard in beautiful CT (with only 2" of snow)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
                        Hello Danny,

                        Thanks for reacting to my questions!

                        Anyone considered using fuel cells? The only reference on the forum is this one:

                        There are fuel cells for mobil homes and the like, but they cost as much as a robomower, are too big and supply only 12 Volts, (the professional does 24 Volts, but it is Big Size!

                        http://www.efoy.com/en/

                        Also came across this one:

                        http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/nokia-wants-patent-on-self-regenerating-phone-batteries-piezoel/

                        Nice for your Nokia but I don't see it powering Robomowie.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 6, 2010
                          A milestone in Robomower history!
                          Monday, April 5, 2010- first Robomower running on lifepo4!

                          I left it running for hours and hours and the pack still had plenty of
                          charge. Cells down to 3.1v and the Robomower showed all but one bar on
                          the batt meter and didn't slow at all. I can't run it all the way down
                          without a BMS, and charging is still a rather "manual" process with the
                          power supply.

                          One cell appears to be underperforming, and it's not a balance problem
                          with the charge state. Looks to be lower capacity than the others.
                          Well, they were kinda sold to me cheap as "not necessarily good" cells.

                          Danny

                          richard gard wrote:
                          > Danny,
                          > Good luck. I have been hoping someone would try this soon. Please take some pictures and post if possible.
                          > Richard in beautiful CT (with only 2" of snow)

                        • Richard Gard
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 9, 2010
                            I am interested to hear how/ and where you installed the BMS, how the charging is going, are you still happy with the LiFePO4?

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 9, 2010
                              I'm still designing a BMS. Right now I let it charge on a
                              variable-voltage lab supply with the voltage a little low, check that
                              none of the cell voltages are >3.65v when it stops taking current, inch
                              the voltage up a bit, check it again. Then come back with the supply
                              set at 3.65v and bring up any low cells. Or, just "don't" and charge it
                              up until most cells are ~3.65v. It's not a big deal to balance every
                              charge, they're "mostly" balanced anyways and there's nothing wrong with
                              using the pack with it only 90% charged.

                              And stop it before it runs all the way down because it can bring the
                              weakest cell below 2.5v before shutting off. But, even with the pack at
                              90%, it's probably not gonna happen before the perimeter switch cuts off.

                              So, highly "manual" until I get a BMS in. But, it's "working", and
                              working well! The thing I dig is the mower doesn't slow down at all
                              during this.

                              There's plenty of room for a BMS. Something like 1/3rd the volume
                              inside the pack is unused, although the heat the BMS can generate,
                              inside a plastic case, is high on my list of "concerns".

                              The thing is LIGHT... I can carry it with two fingers comfortably. I
                              might be looking at a slight problem with reduced traction, but it still
                              plows through tall grass most of the time. At least while in reverse.
                              There's a problem with "forward" because the bumper's kinda shot and
                              acting ultra-sensitive. There's a patch of tall grass here and it's
                              tripping the bumper on the GRASS.

                              Danny