Charging question for Wolfbob (or anyone)

  • noahtull
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2010
      I've had my mower (RL1000) for a while but I'm now experiencing charging and docking problems so excuse my ignorance if this doesn't make sense since I'm new to the "modification" discussion.
      When using the HD chargers (or any other external charger), how do you rig up the system for normal operation? I'm assuming that you leave the docking station rigged up as normal since you need power to the perimeter wire and to maintain the docking capability of the mower. Do you disconnect the charging plates so that the system doesn't interfere with your auxiliary charger when it docks? Couldn't you disconnect the charging plates from the FR system and connect your charger to the plates so it would charge automatically?
      I started to have a docking problem before my battery failure. My mower would dock and start charging, but shortly after that would back out, stop, re-dock, start charging, back out, etc. After a few of these it would stop about six inches from the charging plates and remain there. I tested the batteries, found they were bad, and installed new ones. I charged them up outside of the mower when I received them and they worked for a few cycles before starting the same thing. I'm guessing that that indicates the overcharging some of the posters have been talking about since my batteries are now swelling and not holding a charge.
      On a somewhat related issue, does anyone know if Steve Jones at Probotics has dropped out of sight? I ordered the batteries from him and since they went bad and he has stopped responding to my calls and emails.
    • Austin Morgan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2010
        Unfortunately if you disconnect the charging plates the mower will not be
        able to dock. The plates are how the mower detects that it has successfully
        docked. I do not use the docking station as such. It just sits there as a
        perimeter switch and I charge the mower in my garage with a fast charger. I
        have found that my batteries have lasted at least one longer season on
        average since I have started doing this. If you choose not to use the
        docking mechanism just turn off the docking option on the mower's
        controller.

        Austin

        > I've had my mower (RL1000) for a while but I'm now experiencing charging
        and
        > docking problems so excuse my ignorance if this doesn't make sense since
        I'm new
        > to the "modification" discussion.
        > When using the HD chargers (or any other external charger), how do you rig
        up the
        > system for normal operation? I'm assuming that you leave the docking
        station
        > rigged up as normal since you need power to the perimeter wire and to
        maintain the
        > docking capability of the mower. Do you disconnect the charging plates so
        that
        > the system doesn't interfere with your auxiliary charger when it docks?
        > Couldn't you disconnect the charging plates from the FR system and connect
        your
        > charger to the plates so it would charge automatically?
        > I started to have a docking problem before my battery failure. My mower
        would dock
        > and start charging, but shortly after that would back out, stop, re-dock,
        start
        > charging, back out, etc. After a few of these it would stop about six
        inches from
        > the charging plates and remain there. I tested the batteries, found they
        were
        > bad, and installed new ones. I charged them up outside of the mower when I
        received
        > them and they worked for a few cycles before starting the same thing. I'm
        guessing
        > that that indicates the overcharging some of the posters have been talking
        about
        > since my batteries are now swelling and not holding a charge.
        > On a somewhat related issue, does anyone know if Steve Jones at Probotics
        has
        > dropped out of sight? I ordered the batteries from him and since they went
        bad and
        > he has stopped responding to my calls and emails.

      • Steve Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2010
          I don't show anything open in my call log. Please give me a call and we will
          se if we can get things squared away.

          866-392-3766 x11

          Thanks,

          Steve Jones