response to Iggy @ Zone Hopping

  • robotsrule2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
      When you say it can depart and go to different areas of the yard,
      you mean "areas' of the same zone, right? Not different Zones? I
      guess there is no "zone hopping" feature (would be nice though) but
      only "area within the zone hopping?"

      IGGY Dybal

      Good questions
      Zone hopping is an absolute "no -no" for safety reasons. If you can
      afford to make a single zone around your yard, the RL1000 can do an
      excellent job of maintaining the "always cut" look. This is
      revolutionary. Imagine never ever having tall grass again for the
      entire summer. It always looks nice and cut. I have used a beta and
      now a final production for over a year. I cut alot of grass about
      half an acre. It always looks great. You couldn't force me back to
      non-docking station mowers at this point. IF you have fences, not to
      worry. Leave the docking station in the biggest zone and let it run
      as you wish. Bring it to the smaller zone once on the weekend and
      use the EXTRA (supplied for free) perimeter switch. Whenever it is
      convenient, just re-dock it and you are good to go. You can buy a
      second docking station if you wish. We have about thirteen ways to
      keep it IN the wire only. We don't want a single accident, so I do
      not see a trend towards cutting outside the wire.

      Now for a few random points...
      We have always strived towards 3 common goals. One is SAFETY. This
      is the reason the mower travels slow. If you are 60 years old and
      want to catch it, you can (easily). Blade stop happens in less than
      a second. From almost 6,000 RPM to zero in under a second.
      Remarkable in my humble opinion.

      TWO IS EASE OF USE
      If we build maps, try to get too fancy with programming, we lose
      alot of the elderly population.
      Right now, you let it out of its box, introduce it to the lawn, let
      it sniff around (calibrate), and off he /she goes. Simple!

      Three is Quality of CUT.
      We have stacked this mowers' cutting abilities up to EVERY single
      mowing technology we can find. It is a little know fact that there
      is nothing better or healthier for the lawn than a Robomower. It
      leaves grass "POWDER" behind. Unlike a traditional walk / self
      propelled / riding "mulcher", the Robomower knows only one pace.
      That pace that we would never want to "keep up" in the 100 degree
      humid summer. SLOW.....slow moving and double or triple the
      taditional blade speed. Grass equals powder. Powder equals
      nutrients and moisture. Two vital components of grass health in the
      summer. Ever noticed how much greener and thicker your yard has
      become? It is inevitable with a Robomower. In addition, by keeping
      a v shaped pattern with overlaps, we do not hurt the root system.
      Better than random and better than traditional back and forth.

      Sorry for the ramblings, but I love your forum.
      I promise not to get commercial on you guys and gals.
      Just good honest answers.
    • Patti
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
        Need recommendations on laying the wire.  We bought our Robo 800 over the winter--we're in Massachusetts.  Just starting to get warm enough to get out and lay the wire.  We have a 15,000 square foot lot - house is pretty much in the middle.  We have a small fence to either side of the house with gates.  Do we need to do each side of the front lawn (driveway down the middle) as a separate zone and the backyard as a 3rd zone, or can we leave the gates open when mowing and treat it all as 1 zone?  Will it find it's way through the gate to the backyard and back out the gate to the other size of the front?

        Also, on the front yard, we have our front lawn, then a sidewalk (owned by the town technically - but noboby ever walks on it--they walk in the street cause it's a quiet neighborhood) and then another small strip of grass and the curb.  How should we handle the sidewalk?   Do we need to make the small strip on the other side of the sidewalk a separate zone because we can't run the wire over the sidewalk?

        Patti

[...]

        has notified the sender that this message has been received.

      • Clint D
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
          Hi Patti!

          Congrats on your new mower. If you have a 15,000 sqft
          lawn, you want to divide it up into zones because the
          RL800 will not be able to cut 15,000sqft on one run.

          Do you mind sketching a drawing of your yard layout?
          I'll be glad to recommend a good way to setup your
          zones after seeing that sketch.

          Several users here have bascially "ignored" their
          sidewalk by including it in the lawn as if it wasnt
          there. You can run wire under the concrete or run it
          though the cracks and sealing it with silicon. As long
          as your sidewalk is somewhat level to the grass, you
          should be fine. I thikn there are some files in the
          Files area of this group with detailed instructions on
          how to do that.

          --- Patti <patti1214@...> wrote:
          > Need recommendations on laying the wire. We bought
          > our Robo 800 over the
          > winter--we're in Massachusetts. Just starting to
          > get warm enough to get out
          > and lay the wire. We have a 15,000 square foot lot
          > - house is pretty much
          > in the middle. We have a small fence to either side
          > of the house with gates
          > Do we need to do each side of the front lawn
          > (driveway down the middle) as
          > a separate zone and the backyard as a 3rd zone, or
          > can we leave the gates
          > open when mowing and treat it all as 1 zone? Will
          > it find it's way through
          > the gate to the backyard and back out the gate to
          > the other size of the
          > front?
          >
          > Also, on the front yard, we have our front lawn,
          > then a sidewalk (owned by
          > the town technically - but noboby ever walks on
          > it--they walk in the street
          > cause it's a quiet neighborhood) and then another
          > small strip of grass and
          > the curb. How should we handle the sidewalk? Do
          > we need to make the small
          > strip on the other side of the sidewalk a separate
          > zone because we can't run
          > the wire over the sidewalk?
          >
          > Patti

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
        • Patti
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
            the lot is 15,000, but the house takes up a good chunk and we have a rather large square in back where we made a playground.  Add in a shed and screened porch, large kidney garden in front and a few other flower beds and the grass isn't that much.  I'll sketch something up later and scan it in.  Not today, as it's almost 60 here (Massachusetts--unusual for this time of year) and we're outside enjoying the sunshine after a long, cold, brutal winter and I have to work tonight.  I'll send to you tomorrow if I can.  My only concern with the sidewalk if I incorporate it into the front lawn is what if someone does decide to walk down it and robomower bumps into them.  I know it probably wouldn't hurt them, but I don't want to tick off the neighbors, but seems like a waste of wire to have to outline the whole area.  I'll draw it in too and send it over.

            Thanks for all your help.

            --- Patti <patti1214@...> wrote:
            > Need recommendations on laying the wire.  We bought
            > our Robo 800 over the
            > winter--we're in Massachusetts.  Just starting to
            > get warm enough to get out
            > and lay the wire.  We have a 15,000 square foot lot
            > - house is pretty much
            > in the middle.  We have a small fence to either side
            > of the house with gates
            >   Do we need to do each side of the front lawn
            > (driveway down the middle) as
            > a separate zone and the backyard as a 3rd zone, or
            > can we leave the gates
            > open when mowing and treat it all as 1 zone?  Will
            > it find it's way through
            > the gate to the backyard and back out the gate to
            > the other size of the
            > front?
            >
            > Also, on the front yard, we have our front lawn,
            > then a sidewalk (owned by
            > the town technically - but noboby ever walks on
            > it--they walk in the street
            > cause it's a quiet neighborhood) and then another
            > small strip of grass and
            > the curb.  How should we handle the sidewalk?   Do
            > we need to make the small
            > strip on the other side of the sidewalk a separate
            > zone because we can't run
            > the wire over the sidewalk?
            >
            > Patti

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

            has notified the sender that this message has been received.

          • gary burns
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
              YOU like John Kerry?

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                Make sure it is in cracks or lawsuit city if someone falls down.  So, Clint where is your Robo dealership located?

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                  LOL! Yea make sure that wire doesn't come up. Iggy has
                  successfully ran his wire under or over the sidewalk.
                  A few others have as well

                  Gary, what makes you think I have a dealership? I dont
                  have one.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                    sounded like you do.  Yes and perimeter switch can be installed on walls as well. Helpful hint on perimeter switches , do not leave them flat on ground . Always use stake or install to wall. This will keep moisture out.
                    Clint D <clintd555@...> wrote:
                    LOL! Yea make sure that wire doesn't come up. Iggy has
                    successfully ran his wire under or over the sidewalk.
                    A few others have as well

                    Gary, what makes you think I have a dealership? I dont
                    have one.

                    --- gary burns <blacksuade1968@...> wrote:
                    > Make sure it is in cracks or lawsuit city if someone
                    > falls down.  So, Clint where is your Robo dealership
                    > located?

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

                  • iggykc
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@y...> wrote:
                      > LOL! Yea make sure that wire doesn't come up. Iggy has
                      > successfully ran his wire under or over the sidewalk.
                      > A few others have as well

                      http://snipurl.com/4ti5 - my silicone wiring.

                      IGGY Dybal
                    • iggykc
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, gary burns <blacksuade1968@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > sounded like you do. Yes and perimeter switch can be installed on
                        walls as well. Helpful hint on perimeter switches , do not leave
                        them flat on ground . Always use stake or install to wall. This will
                        keep moisture out.

                        I had to buy one :o( bcause water got into one - it was standing
                        upright on my fence and very heavy rain began. I got the mower
                        inside but forgot to get the switch - was a $70 mistake :o(

                        IGGY Dybal
                      • Patti
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                           we're actually getting the driveway and sidewalk paved this summer.  Maybe I can bury it under the hot top.  Of course, we're paying for the sidewalk, not the town, but it needs it bad and I can't see putting in a driveway without doing the sidewalks as well--they're all bumpy and broken up since we just had town sewer put in last summer and it ruined most of the sidewalks around here.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                            Hmmm...I don't know about burying it under the hot top. I think the max under dirt is 3-4 inches. Going deeper can result in the mower getting a weak signal. I can't wait to see your sketch of the yard. Your yard seems interesting.

                            Do you Yahoo!?
                          • Patti
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                              well, it's not actually going to be full thickness hot top--it's already hot topped but they're putting on a new top coat to even it all out--maybe if I picked areas where it will be pretty thin.

                              I can't draw very well--think I'll just take some digital pics in the daylight tomorrow and email you those with some measurements.  Suppose to be another unusually warm and sunny day here again tomorrow--Yahoo!

                              has notified the sender that this message has been received.

                            • terry_veldhuizen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
                                Patti,

                                Might I recomend that you lay down some plactic pipe (around 1/2 or
                                3/4 inch) under the sidewalk and driveway. The plastic conduit type
                                is a little thicker than the schedule 40 PVC pipe, or get shchedule
                                80 PCV pipe. That way you could pull through a wire, and replace it
                                in the future if required. I have went as deep as 8" below the
                                surface and my RL 500 has never missed it and went awol. If it were
                                me, I would get a piece of pipe about 8"-10" longer than the width of
                                the sidewalk, tape both ends closed, then after the concrete forms
                                are in place I would slip the pipe under the forms and let them lay
                                the re-bar (if any) and pour the concrete. After the forms are
                                removed and the crew leaves, you can dig where the pipe is run the
                                wire through it. A depth of more than 4" also protects the wire
                                should anyone edge the sidewalks.

                                Be sure to check with the crew so they do not remove the pipe prior
                                to pouring the concrete.

                                Good Luck
                                Terry Veldhuizen