Re: Battery disposal

  • Barbara B
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
      In my area (Northern Virginia), Interstate Battery now pays $6 per battery. So you may want to check your area.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
        Well, I know there's a slew of state-by-state recycling laws that allow
        or require one of two things:
        A nonrefundable state recycling fee with every battery sold;
        and/or a "deposit" if you buy a battery without turning in an old one.
        I note that I've NOT seen the law require that they return the deposit
        IF you bring back a dead battery. So, as a minimum, IF you have the
        dead battery with you every time you buy a new one, you'll still be out
        one deposit by the end of the deal because you paid one when you bought
        the battery and didn't get it back when you were done buying batts.

        Well, I don't know for sure. I seem to recall if you have a receipt
        showing you just bought a batt and paid the $fee, yes you can get that
        back when you bring back a dead batt. BUT, not without a receipt, and
        here's why: most states don't do it, and two states are up to $10
        without a trade-in. At that rate, I'd take junk batts from a state with
        no deposit and carry them over the state line and demand $10/ea from a
        retailer. In fact, since there's no real legal paperwork, if I worked
        at recycler and Wal-Mart brings in a load of batts, I'd just turn around
        and have my brother take then right back to Wal-Mart the next day, get
        $10/ea, then get the batts back all over.

        It all varies by state:
        http://www.batterycouncil.org/LeadAcidBatteries/BatteryRecycling/StateRecyclingLaws/tabid/120/Default.aspx

        Here in Texas, I've seen that Fry's charged a state batt fee even for
        little 7AH SLAs for alarm systems. They're like $7 batts, plus a $3
        fee. But looking at this website, it says that's not the law. This
        site says all SLA are exempt (which affects us!) and they're not
        supposed to charge this fee. Plus those at Fry's were less than 10AH-
        they're not supposed to be charging it.

        Danny

        Barbara B wrote:
        > In my area (Northern Virginia), Interstate Battery now pays $6 per battery. So you may want to check your area.
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "bkelley9401" <neverheardofhim@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I just drove past a Battey Wholesale store and they pay cash for used lead acid batteries.So you might want to call around first be for you had them over.
        >>
        >> --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara B" <eventtravelers@> wrote:
        >>
        >>> I drop mine off at Interstate Battery which is right down the road from me.
        >>> Bob

      • Tony
        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2010
          I just got a new standard charger and a set of BB batteries for my robomower RL800.  It took my robomower 2 days to charger these batteries.  This morning, my robomower ran for almost 4 hours. However, when I plugged in power, I got a “Check Power” message.  I run the following tests:
          ·         When I removed my battery pack case, plugged in my power, I got 37V reading on my mower.
          ·         When I put in my battery pack case back to the mower, I got a “Check Power” message.  Then when I removed my battery pack case, I got 0.5V reading on my mower – for some reasons, the power was cut off.

          I believe that something wrong with my manual controller cradle but I am not sure. Any suggestions?

          Thank you for your help.
          Tyt

        • stuarth44@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , May 5, 2010
            When I got the same message it was because the power jack was corroded. I
            cleaned it up and the message went away.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 5, 2010
              Where is power jack located at?

              Message 6 of 12 , May 5, 2010
                The jack in the manual controller cradle that you plug the wire from the
                power supply into.

                --- On Wed, 5/5/10, _stuarth44@..._ (mailto:stuarth44@...)

                From: _stuarth44@..._ (mailto:stuarth44@...) <_stuarth44@..._
                (mailto:stuarth44@...) >