Battery disposal

  • leecee01
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 24, 2010
      Does everyone take their used batteries to the landfill or do you know of any company that will take them?
    • Austin Morgan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2010
        I take mine to the landfill (actually to the recycling section of the
        landfill) because it is closer, but BatteryPlus will take them and dispose
        of them correctly for free.

        Austin

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2010
          I always take mine to Home Depot. They will recycle batteries.
        • Ben Sporl
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 24, 2010
            Any type of auto parts store will take them free. AutoZone, Napa, etc... Don't dump them in the trash or landfill. They have too much lead.

            ________________________________
            Does everyone take their used batteries to the landfill or do you know of any company that will take them?

          • Barbara B
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 25, 2010
              I drop mine off at Interstate Battery which is right down the road from me.
              Bob

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "leecee01" <leecee01@...> wrote:

              > Does everyone take their used batteries to the landfill or do you know of any company that will take them?

            • bkelley9401
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2010
                I just drove past a Battey Wholesale store and they pay cash for used lead acid batteries.So you might want to call around first be for you had them over.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
                  In my area (Northern Virginia), Interstate Battery now pays $6 per battery. So you may want to check your area.

                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 6, 2010
                    Well, I know there's a slew of state-by-state recycling laws that allow
                    or require one of two things:
                    A nonrefundable state recycling fee with every battery sold;
                    and/or a "deposit" if you buy a battery without turning in an old one.
                    I note that I've NOT seen the law require that they return the deposit
                    IF you bring back a dead battery. So, as a minimum, IF you have the
                    dead battery with you every time you buy a new one, you'll still be out
                    one deposit by the end of the deal because you paid one when you bought
                    the battery and didn't get it back when you were done buying batts.

                    Well, I don't know for sure. I seem to recall if you have a receipt
                    showing you just bought a batt and paid the $fee, yes you can get that
                    back when you bring back a dead batt. BUT, not without a receipt, and
                    here's why: most states don't do it, and two states are up to $10
                    without a trade-in. At that rate, I'd take junk batts from a state with
                    no deposit and carry them over the state line and demand $10/ea from a
                    retailer. In fact, since there's no real legal paperwork, if I worked
                    at recycler and Wal-Mart brings in a load of batts, I'd just turn around
                    and have my brother take then right back to Wal-Mart the next day, get
                    $10/ea, then get the batts back all over.

                    It all varies by state:
                    http://www.batterycouncil.org/LeadAcidBatteries/BatteryRecycling/StateRecyclingLaws/tabid/120/Default.aspx

                    Here in Texas, I've seen that Fry's charged a state batt fee even for
                    little 7AH SLAs for alarm systems. They're like $7 batts, plus a $3
                    fee. But looking at this website, it says that's not the law. This
                    site says all SLA are exempt (which affects us!) and they're not
                    supposed to charge this fee. Plus those at Fry's were less than 10AH-
                    they're not supposed to be charging it.

                    Danny

                    Barbara B wrote:
                    > In my area (Northern Virginia), Interstate Battery now pays $6 per battery. So you may want to check your area.
                    >
                    > Bob
                    >
                    > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "bkelley9401" <neverheardofhim@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I just drove past a Battey Wholesale store and they pay cash for used lead acid batteries.So you might want to call around first be for you had them over.
                    >>
                    >> --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara B" <eventtravelers@> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> I drop mine off at Interstate Battery which is right down the road from me.
                    >>> Bob

                  • Tony
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2010
                      I just got a new standard charger and a set of BB batteries for my robomower RL800.  It took my robomower 2 days to charger these batteries.  This morning, my robomower ran for almost 4 hours. However, when I plugged in power, I got a “Check Power” message.  I run the following tests:
                      ·         When I removed my battery pack case, plugged in my power, I got 37V reading on my mower.
                      ·         When I put in my battery pack case back to the mower, I got a “Check Power” message.  Then when I removed my battery pack case, I got 0.5V reading on my mower – for some reasons, the power was cut off.

                      I believe that something wrong with my manual controller cradle but I am not sure. Any suggestions?

                      Thank you for your help.
                      Tyt

                    • stuarth44@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 5, 2010
                        When I got the same message it was because the power jack was corroded. I
                        cleaned it up and the message went away.

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 5, 2010
                          Where is power jack located at?

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 5, 2010
                            The jack in the manual controller cradle that you plug the wire from the
                            power supply into.

                            --- On Wed, 5/5/10, _stuarth44@..._ (mailto:stuarth44@...)

                            From: _stuarth44@..._ (mailto:stuarth44@...) <_stuarth44@..._
                            (mailto:stuarth44@...) >