Disappointing durability of Tempest batteries

  • don_xvi@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
      Am I the only one that's seen their mowing time drop off a lot with Tempest TD22 batteries? You'll note that I posted I got over 4 hours from them earlier this year, but today they were done after 2 hours 13 minutes. Conditions weren't favorable today, tall grass and dull blades, but I timed the session because I had noted performance dropping. They've run about twice a week since May.
    • Matt Cooper
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
        Hi Don,

        Dull blades (cutting a steak with a butter knife instead of a sharp steak knife can take tremendous energy!) greatly diminish the cutting time. It is not a fair comparison when several variables are changed. All variables should be the same as the first time you got 4 hours.... You are simply frustrating yourself by not doing so.

        Matt Cooper
        AutoMate Tools

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
          Hmm, but there's no way to reduce the mowing time to 2 hrs 13 min
          outside of having the batteries at bitter cold temps. The increase in
          load from wet grass doesn't increase the current that much by my readings.

          It does sound like the batteries may be degraded, and you describe 40
          cycles which is not much. IIRC, the criteria for "failure" was dropping
          to 60% (or maybe 70%) of full capacity and that was expected to take at
          least 200 cycles.

          What charging method are you using? I'm getting the idea that this
          matters more than anything else, especially summertime when the batt may
          be charged at elevated temps.

          Still, I'd need more reports to be concerned about a possible "trend".
          People have reported early failures in EVERY brand and model of lead
          acid. IIRC someone had an EB20-12 come in DOA from the mfg. So I'd
          kinda expect someone would have a less than ideal result with the
          Tempest too. Perfection is not the criteria so much as simply being
          better than the alternatives.

          Danny

          Matt Cooper wrote:
          > Hi Don,
          >
          > Dull blades (cutting a steak with a butter knife instead of a sharp steak knife can take tremendous energy!) greatly diminish the cutting time. It is not a fair comparison when several variables are changed. All variables should be the same as the first time you got 4 hours.... You are simply frustrating yourself by not doing so.
          >
          > Matt Cooper
          > AutoMate Tools

        • Matt Cooper
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
            Are you sure there is no way other than the cold? Have you tried extremely dull blades in tall grass with a batteries ...and compared it to a same mower that lasted 4 hours just a week ago with sharp blades and short grass? You've always got to just change one variable or the comparison is useless.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
              I charge with a fast charger, usually right after they come out of the mower, and leave them plugged into the charger until use. Here in Michigan, we didn't have summer, the batteries generally weren't even warm to the touch or as indicated by the temp sensor (wherever that is). They often got to cool off waiting for me to retrieve the mower from where they ran out at, as this is an RL500.

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

              > Hmm, but there's no way to reduce the mowing time to 2 hrs 13 min
              > outside of having the batteries at bitter cold temps. The increase in
              > load from wet grass doesn't increase the current that much by my readings.
              >
              > It does sound like the batteries may be degraded, and you describe 40
              > cycles which is not much. IIRC, the criteria for "failure" was dropping
              > to 60% (or maybe 70%) of full capacity and that was expected to take at
              > least 200 cycles.
              >
              > What charging method are you using? I'm getting the idea that this
              > matters more than anything else, especially summertime when the batt may
              > be charged at elevated temps.
              >
              > Still, I'd need more reports to be concerned about a possible "trend".
              > People have reported early failures in EVERY brand and model of lead
              > acid. IIRC someone had an EB20-12 come in DOA from the mfg. So I'd
              > kinda expect someone would have a less than ideal result with the
              > Tempest too. Perfection is not the criteria so much as simply being
              > better than the alternatives.
              >
              > Danny
              >
              > Matt Cooper wrote:
              > > Hi Don,
              > >
              > > Dull blades (cutting a steak with a butter knife instead of a sharp steak knife can take tremendous energy!) greatly diminish the cutting time. It is not a fair comparison when several variables are changed. All variables should be the same as the first time you got 4 hours.... You are simply frustrating yourself by not doing so.
              > >
              > > Matt Cooper
              > > AutoMate Tools

            • Sporl
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2009
                I recently purchased a set of Tempest DT22 and noticed right off they're only running for a few hours. I'm hoping it's because they are new and need a few cycles to hit max running time.

                Unfortunately it's been raining for the past few weeks so mowing hasn't been consistent. I hope to fire robo up in a few days.

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "don_xvi@..." <don_xvi@...> wrote:

                > Am I the only one that's seen their mowing time drop off a lot with Tempest TD22 batteries? You'll note that I posted I got over 4 hours from them earlier this year, but today they were done after 2 hours 13 minutes. Conditions weren't favorable today, tall grass and dull blades, but I timed the session because I had noted performance dropping. They've run about twice a week since May.

              • nicktrivelas
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 29, 2009
                  I purchased my Tempest DT22 six months ago, in april 2009. Original run time was 3 hours. Yesterday it ran for 55 minutes and quit.

                  I have the RL1000 and run it 3 or 4 times a week. Never when grass is wet.

                  It charges in.its docking station. Average charge time is 26 hrs.

                  I hope the warranty is still good.

                  Nick

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 30, 2009
                    Do you know what the warranty is?