Re: Possible battery issue? - RL1000

  • anemoi99
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2009
      I have an RL 1000 and experienced the same thing. I followed some advice from others here in the group, and bought 2 batteries from Digi-Key. The item number is 522-1026-ND. Cost plus shipping was about $130. (www.digikey.com) Got them last year and was amazed to get 3+ hours of mowing time. They're still going strong this year. The company was very helpful and I had a very positive shopping experience with them.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2009
        The "522-1026-ND" is the BP20-12. DO NOT USE THIS ONE. It's a
        general-purpose line which typically does not perform well in this service.

        Use the EB20-12 (522-1031-ND). Same company, but it's their hard-duty
        deep cycler. Only a few $ more.

        Actually I'm a bit more inclined to say go for the TD22-12 at
        BatterySpec.com:
        http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=217
        <http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=217>

        They're a really good vendor. It's a 22AH deep cycle batt and it's
        significantly cheaper than the EB20-12.

        Always replace them in pairs, even if one batt still puts out 12v ok.
        Keep the good one around to run a 12v tire inflator or whatever if you
        like, but mixing a new batt with an old one will probably result in
        imbalances that will wear/destroy one or both.

        Danny

        anemoi99 wrote:
        > I have an RL 1000 and experienced the same thing. I followed some advice from others here in the group, and bought 2 batteries from Digi-Key. The item number is 522-1026-ND. Cost plus shipping was about $130. (www.digikey.com) Got them last year and was amazed to get 3+ hours of mowing time. They're still going strong this year. The company was very helpful and I had a very positive shopping experience with them.
        >
        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "dmc_123_dmc" <david.christopher@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hi all, hoping to get some advice...
        >>
        >> All of a sudden my Robomower RL1000 will not reach a full charge. The little battery icon (while docked) is always moving (indicating still charging), even after 48 hours or longer of no use (docked). If I send the robot out to mow, it only lasts about 30-40 minutes and comes back in. Prior to this it would last about 3 hours.
        >>
        >> I've had the robot just slightly less than two years. Could this be a bad battery already (after less than 2 years)?? Or maybe something with the charger/power pack?
        >>
        >> It happened all of a sudden, like on one mow it lasted 3 hours, and the next, 30 minutes -- and won't ever get to a full charge indication now.
        >>
        >> Thanks for all the help.
        >>
        >> David

      • David Christopher
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 14, 2009
          Hey guys -- an update on my issue -- I purchased a pair of EB20-12's from
          Digikey, installed them, and I'm basically having the same problem! After I
          installed the new batteries in the pack, I let it charge for well over 24
          hours -- and it still showed a moving "charging icon". I decided to let it
          mow anyway, and it cam back in a bit less than 2 1/2 hours. But now it's
          always "actively charging" according to the icon/image -- even after 24, 48,
          72 hours. I just tried to let it go mow, and I noticed when it left the
          dock the battery icon showed an almost empty image...and it basically cut
          the perimeter than needed to come back due to lack of charge.

          So it seems perhaps the batteries were not the issue -- it is possibly the
          power pack? A loose connection on the dock? I'd hate to spend even more
          money now on a new power pack only to find that's not the issue either.

          Any ideas?

          Thanks
          Dave (NJ)

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 14, 2009
            Dave,

            You may be having trouble with the power supply to your docking station.
            One symptom is that the power supply will supply enough current to power the
            perimeter wire, and just a bit more. The mower will dock and go into
            charging mode but there just isn't enough to actually charge the battery.

            If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage on the "horns" while the mower is
            in the dock charging. I show 37 or 38 volts on the horns with a good power
            supply. The "Charging Voltage" from the "information" menu on the
            controller should be around 33 or 34v.

            If your power supply is going out it may appear to be working but not put
            out enough to charge. The power supply is weak in my opinion, and is
            particularly susceptible to overheating if in direct sunlight and/or not
            well ventilated outdoors. Failure of the docking power supply is not
            unusual. I've had more than one go out.

            Dan

            _____

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 14, 2009
              Better yet, pop the top on the battery and put it into the mower with
              the top off.

              You can read batt voltage during charge.

              Should read like 25.6v off the charger, then jump about a volt when the
              charger is on, and rise to around 28v when the charge is finishing.

              Danny

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 14, 2009
                Yes, checking the battery voltage directly will tell whether the battery is
                getting charged or not. However, the way to tell if the power supply is the
                *cause* of it not charging is to check the voltage available to the mower.

                There is also a "battery voltage" option on the "information" menu. This is
                supposed to be the terminal voltage as I understand so (in theory) is nearly
                the same as taking the battery top off and checking the terminal voltage.
                It's not exactly the same (could be bad connections, etc).

                Dan

                _____

                Dan Barclay wrote:
                > Dave,
                >

                > You may be having trouble with the power supply to your docking station.
                > One symptom is that the power supply will supply enough current to power
                the
                > perimeter wire, and just a bit more. The mower will dock and go into
                > charging mode but there just isn't enough to actually charge the battery.
                >

                > If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage on the "horns" while the mower
                is
                > in the dock charging. I show 37 or 38 volts on the horns with a good power
                > supply. The "Charging Voltage" from the "information" menu on the
                > controller should be around 33 or 34v.
                >

                > If your power supply is going out it may appear to be working but not put
                > out enough to charge. The power supply is weak in my opinion, and is
                > particularly susceptible to overheating if in direct sunlight and/or not
                > well ventilated outdoors. Failure of the docking power supply is not
                > unusual. I've had more than one go out.
                >

                > Dan

              • Bob and Barbara
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 15, 2009
                  Dave, Have you cleaned the horns on Robo and the stainless steel charging paddles on the docking station?
                  I use Scotch Brite pads with contact cleaner, as I have noiticed they slightly discolor or buid up some corrosion where they hit in the same place each time. I do it about twice a year, with first time at begining of mowing season.

                  Also make sure the wires going from the contact paddles to the docking board are good and tight with no corrosion.
                  Also have you checked the fingers on the battery pack and the slides on Robo to see if they are clean, free of dirt and corrosion?
                  I've had an issue with loose or dirty connetions in the past.

                  Bob

                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, David Christopher <david.christopher@...> wrote:

                  > Hey guys -- an update on my issue -- I purchased a pair of EB20-12's from
                  > Digikey, installed them, and I'm basically having the same problem! After I
                  > installed the new batteries in the pack, I let it charge for well over 24
                  > hours -- and it still showed a moving "charging icon". I decided to let it
                  > mow anyway, and it cam back in a bit less than 2 1/2 hours. But now it's
                  > always "actively charging" according to the icon/image -- even after 24, 48,
                  > 72 hours. I just tried to let it go mow, and I noticed when it left the
                  > dock the battery icon showed an almost empty image...and it basically cut
                  > the perimeter than needed to come back due to lack of charge.
                  >
                  > So it seems perhaps the batteries were not the issue -- it is possibly the
                  > power pack? A loose connection on the dock? I'd hate to spend even more
                  > money now on a new power pack only to find that's not the issue either.
                  >
                  > Any ideas?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Dave (NJ)
                  >
                  > On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM, dmc_123_dmc
                  > <david.christopher@...>wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hi all, hoping to get some advice...
                  > >
                  > > All of a sudden my Robomower RL1000 will not reach a full charge. The
                  > > little battery icon (while docked) is always moving (indicating still
                  > > charging), even after 48 hours or longer of no use (docked). If I send the
                  > > robot out to mow, it only lasts about 30-40 minutes and comes back in. Prior
                  > > to this it would last about 3 hours.
                  > >
                  > > I've had the robot just slightly less than two years. Could this be a bad
                  > > battery already (after less than 2 years)?? Or maybe something with the
                  > > charger/power pack?
                  > >
                  > > It happened all of a sudden, like on one mow it lasted 3 hours, and the
                  > > next, 30 minutes -- and won't ever get to a full charge indication now.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for all the help.
                  > >
                  > > David

                • David Christopher
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 15, 2009
                    Thanks for the help guys -- I will check all the connections, steel
                    connectors, etc -- have not done so yet. I also (unfortunately) don't have
                    a voltmeter, so I will go pick one up at Radioshack hopefully today.

                    In the meantime, I did just look at what the controller said (while the
                    mower was still docked) -- it said:

                    Battery Voltage: 23.1
                    Charging Voltage: 33.6

                    Do either of these numbers indicate any issue?

                    Thanks
                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 15, 2009
                      YES. There is an issue.
                      That is the UNLOADED voltage that the charger puts out. An operational
                      battery electrically connected to the charger would drag the voltage
                      down to probably 28.4v as an absolute maximum when fully charged.
                      Normally, I'd expect that starting from a battery at 23.1v, putting it
                      on a charger would yield a voltage in the 24v range at first and the
                      voltage will gradually rise to the 28v range over a course of hours.

                      Either the battery has a bad connection from the batt to the charging
                      contacts, or there is a bad connection inside the pack, or there's a
                      problem inside the charger itself. Or the battery could be bad, that is
                      normally the case, but since you replaced them I would tend to discount
                      this possibility.

                      Danny

                      David Christopher wrote:
                      > Thanks for the help guys -- I will check all the connections, steel
                      > connectors, etc -- have not done so yet. I also (unfortunately) don't have
                      > a voltmeter, so I will go pick one up at Radioshack hopefully today.
                      >
                      > In the meantime, I did just look at what the controller said (while the
                      > mower was still docked) -- it said:
                      >
                      > Battery Voltage: 23.1
                      > Charging Voltage: 33.6
                      >
                      > Do either of these numbers indicate any issue?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Dave

                    • Visti Juncher
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 15, 2009
                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                        > YES. There is an issue.
                        > That is the UNLOADED voltage that the charger puts out. An operational
                        > battery electrically connected to the charger would drag the voltage
                        > down to probably 28.4v as an absolute maximum when fully charged.
                        > Normally, I'd expect that starting from a battery at 23.1v, putting it
                        > on a charger would yield a voltage in the 24v range at first and the
                        > voltage will gradually rise to the 28v range over a course of hours.
                        >
                        > Either the battery has a bad connection from the batt to the charging
                        > contacts, or there is a bad connection inside the pack, or there's a
                        > problem inside the charger itself. Or the battery could be bad, that is
                        > normally the case, but since you replaced them I would tend to discount
                        > this possibility.
                        >
                        > Danny

                        Or there may be a collapsed cell in one of the batteries.
                      • David Christopher
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 16, 2009
                          Thanks Danny. I have emailed FriendlyRobotics support but heard nothing
                          back yet. You'll have to excuse me, I'm a bit slow on these technical
                          voltage discussions -- not my area of expertise at all. :-) Are there any
                          specific things you think I can look at or try to do? Or does it sounds
                          like I need something new (power pack, something malfunctioning in the
                          charging base, etc). I did open the battery pack and the actual battery
                          connections look fine, from what I can tell.

                          I'm having to mow the lawn with my tractor - which is unheard of with a
                          robot sitting there doing nothing! :-)

                          Thanks
                          David

                          On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                          > YES. There is an issue.
                          > That is the UNLOADED voltage that the charger puts out. An operational
                          > battery electrically connected to the charger would drag the voltage
                          > down to probably 28.4v as an absolute maximum when fully charged.
                          > Normally, I'd expect that starting from a battery at 23.1v, putting it
                          > on a charger would yield a voltage in the 24v range at first and the
                          > voltage will gradually rise to the 28v range over a course of hours.
                          >
                          > Either the battery has a bad connection from the batt to the charging
                          > contacts, or there is a bad connection inside the pack, or there's a
                          > problem inside the charger itself. Or the battery could be bad, that is
                          > normally the case, but since you replaced them I would tend to discount
                          > this possibility.
                          >
                          > Danny
                          >

                          > David Christopher wrote:
                          > > Thanks for the help guys -- I will check all the connections, steel
                          > > connectors, etc -- have not done so yet. I also (unfortunately) don't
                          > have
                          > > a voltmeter, so I will go pick one up at Radioshack hopefully today.
                          > >
                          > > In the meantime, I did just look at what the controller said (while the
                          > > mower was still docked) -- it said:
                          > >
                          > > Battery Voltage: 23.1
                          > > Charging Voltage: 33.6
                          > >
                          > > Do either of these numbers indicate any issue?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks
                          > > Dave

                        • David Christopher
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 27, 2009
                            I finally got myself a voltmeter, and with the mower connected to the dock,
                            the charger gave me a reading around 24. Taking the battery pack out of the
                            mower, each of the two batteries registered around 12 (they are not well
                            charged -- which is my problem). Not sure what else to do here, I've
                            checked everything else, connections seem ok, etc.

                            Thanks
                            Dave

                            On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                            > YES. There is an issue.
                            > That is the UNLOADED voltage that the charger puts out. An operational
                            > battery electrically connected to the charger would drag the voltage
                            > down to probably 28.4v as an absolute maximum when fully charged.
                            > Normally, I'd expect that starting from a battery at 23.1v, putting it
                            > on a charger would yield a voltage in the 24v range at first and the
                            > voltage will gradually rise to the 28v range over a course of hours.
                            >
                            > Either the battery has a bad connection from the batt to the charging
                            > contacts, or there is a bad connection inside the pack, or there's a
                            > problem inside the charger itself. Or the battery could be bad, that is
                            > normally the case, but since you replaced them I would tend to discount
                            > this possibility.
                            >
                            > Danny
                            >

                            > David Christopher wrote:
                            > > Thanks for the help guys -- I will check all the connections, steel
                            > > connectors, etc -- have not done so yet. I also (unfortunately) don't
                            > have
                            > > a voltmeter, so I will go pick one up at Radioshack hopefully today.
                            > >
                            > > In the meantime, I did just look at what the controller said (while the
                            > > mower was still docked) -- it said:
                            > >
                            > > Battery Voltage: 23.1
                            > > Charging Voltage: 33.6
                            > >
                            > > Do either of these numbers indicate any issue?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks
                            > > Dave

                          • Visti Juncher
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 27, 2009
                              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, David Christopher <david.christopher@...> wrote:

                              > I finally got myself a voltmeter, and with the mower connected to the dock,
                              > the charger gave me a reading around 24. Taking the battery pack out of the
                              > mower, each of the two batteries registered around 12 (they are not well
                              > charged -- which is my problem). Not sure what else to do here, I've
                              > checked everything else, connections seem ok, etc.
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              > Dave

                              And what does the voltmeter have to say about the charger's voltage when not charging?
                            • David Christopher
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 5 7:16 AM
                                Ok you have to excuse my complete ignorance to this type of thing (please)
                                -- when I put the voltmeter to the "blades" when the mower was not attached,
                                I get no reading, but honestly I'm not exactly sure which setting to put the
                                voltmeter on. Can you direct me (it's a multimeter with AC, DC, Ohm, etc).
                                Embarrassing, obviously not my area of expertise by any means.

                                And another "clueless" question :-) -- when I installed the new batteries
                                in the pack, I believe I did so exactly as the old batteries were attached
                                -- but just to confirm -- two red wires coming out of where the fuse is, one
                                is connected to the positive terminal on one battery, and the other goes to
                                the metal connector where the battery pack clicks into the mower. There is
                                a black wire that goes from the other metal connector to the negative
                                terminal of the other battery. And then there is a wire that connects the
                                positive to the negative between the two batteries. Is this right?

                                Just trying to figure out what is going on with this mower --- now I can't
                                run the mower at all, the display always says "recharge battery" -- so I'm
                                obviously not getting any charge at all to the batteries now. Help!

                                Thanks
                                David

                                On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Visti Juncher
                                <vistijuncher345@...>wrote:

                                > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>, David
                                > Christopher <david.christopher@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I finally got myself a voltmeter, and with the mower connected to the
                                > dock,
                                > > the charger gave me a reading around 24. Taking the battery pack out of
                                > the
                                > > mower, each of the two batteries registered around 12 (they are not well
                                > > charged -- which is my problem). Not sure what else to do here, I've
                                > > checked everything else, connections seem ok, etc.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks
                                > > Dave
                                > >

                                > And what does the voltmeter have to say about the charger's voltage when
                                > not charging?

                              • toolman_d
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 5 9:35 AM
                                  You should have it set to DC.

                                  The red wire from the case should be connected to the + (red) post on the 1st battery. The negative on the first battery should be hooked to the positive on the second battery and the negative on the 2nd battery should be connected to the black wire on the battery case.
                                  The batteries are in series - not parallel.

                                  You can see pictures here of what it should look like:
                                  http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Image:RoboMower_battery_wiring.jpg

                                  Also if you have a camera or a cell phone with a camera it's always useful to take some pictures of what it should look like if you are taking something new apart.

                                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, David Christopher <david.christopher@...> wrote:

                                  > Ok you have to excuse my complete ignorance to this type of thing (please)
                                  > -- when I put the voltmeter to the "blades" when the mower was not attached,
                                  > I get no reading, but honestly I'm not exactly sure which setting to put the
                                  > voltmeter on. Can you direct me (it's a multimeter with AC, DC, Ohm, etc).
                                  > Embarrassing, obviously not my area of expertise by any means.
                                  >
                                  > And another "clueless" question :-) -- when I installed the new batteries
                                  > in the pack, I believe I did so exactly as the old batteries were attached
                                  > -- but just to confirm -- two red wires coming out of where the fuse is, one
                                  > is connected to the positive terminal on one battery, and the other goes to
                                  > the metal connector where the battery pack clicks into the mower. There is
                                  > a black wire that goes from the other metal connector to the negative
                                  > terminal of the other battery. And then there is a wire that connects the
                                  > positive to the negative between the two batteries. Is this right?
                                  >
                                  > Just trying to figure out what is going on with this mower --- now I can't
                                  > run the mower at all, the display always says "recharge battery" -- so I'm
                                  > obviously not getting any charge at all to the batteries now. Help!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  > David
                                  >

                                  > On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Visti Juncher
                                  > <vistijuncher345@...>wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>, David
                                  > > Christopher <david.christopher@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I finally got myself a voltmeter, and with the mower connected to the
                                  > > dock,
                                  > > > the charger gave me a reading around 24. Taking the battery pack out of
                                  > > the
                                  > > > mower, each of the two batteries registered around 12 (they are not well
                                  > > > charged -- which is my problem). Not sure what else to do here, I've
                                  > > > checked everything else, connections seem ok, etc.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks
                                  > > > Dave
                                  > > >

                                  > > And what does the voltmeter have to say about the charger's voltage when
                                  > > not charging?

                                • David Christopher
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 5 10:29 AM
                                    Yep my battery connections look fine.

                                    So the voltmeter says 23.1 with the mower docked. However without the
                                    mower, the voltmeter gives no reading on the "blades". I'm no genius but it
                                    seems this would be the problem -- battery is not getting charged because
                                    there's no juice coming from the dock to charge it!?? What should that
                                    reading be?

                                    I'll take the dock apart later and see if I get any readings on the wires.
                                    Question though, why would the mower says "Docking..." and the battery icon
                                    show that it's charging if there was no power going to the mower from the
                                    dock?

                                    On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 12:35 PM, toolman_d <toolman_d@...> wrote:

                                    > You should have it set to DC.
                                    >
                                    > The red wire from the case should be connected to the + (red) post on the
                                    > 1st battery. The negative on the first battery should be hooked to the
                                    > positive on the second battery and the negative on the 2nd battery should be
                                    > connected to the black wire on the battery case.
                                    > The batteries are in series - not parallel.
                                    >
                                    > You can see pictures here of what it should look like:
                                    > http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Image:RoboMower_battery_wiring.jpg
                                    >
                                    > Also if you have a camera or a cell phone with a camera it's always useful
                                    > to take some pictures of what it should look like if you are taking
                                    > something new apart.
                                    >

                                    > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>, David
                                    > Christopher <david.christopher@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Ok you have to excuse my complete ignorance to this type of thing
                                    > (please)
                                    > > -- when I put the voltmeter to the "blades" when the mower was not
                                    > attached,
                                    > > I get no reading, but honestly I'm not exactly sure which setting to put
                                    > the
                                    > > voltmeter on. Can you direct me (it's a multimeter with AC, DC, Ohm,
                                    > etc).
                                    > > Embarrassing, obviously not my area of expertise by any means.
                                    > >
                                    > > And another "clueless" question :-) -- when I installed the new batteries
                                    > > in the pack, I believe I did so exactly as the old batteries were
                                    > attached
                                    > > -- but just to confirm -- two red wires coming out of where the fuse is,
                                    > one
                                    > > is connected to the positive terminal on one battery, and the other goes
                                    > > the metal connector where the battery pack clicks into the mower. There
                                    > is
                                    > > a black wire that goes from the other metal connector to the negative
                                    > > terminal of the other battery. And then there is a wire that connects the
                                    > > positive to the negative between the two batteries. Is this right?
                                    > >
                                    > > Just trying to figure out what is going on with this mower --- now I
                                    > can't
                                    > > run the mower at all, the display always says "recharge battery" -- so
                                    > I'm
                                    > > obviously not getting any charge at all to the batteries now. Help!
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks
                                    > > David
                                    > >

                                    > > On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Visti Juncher
                                    > > <vistijuncher345@...>wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com><RoboMower%
                                    > 40yahoogroups.com>, David

                                    > > > dock,
                                    > of
                                    > > > the
                                    > well

                                    > > > And what does the voltmeter have to say about the charger's voltage
                                    > when
                                    > > > not charging?

                                  • vandervoordef
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 5 1:06 PM
                                      Hey Dave,

                                      We're all dying to hear the next sequel of your story; is there any?

                                      Frans

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 5 3:29 PM
                                        Well you can't be reading it right. 0v on the blades is not really
                                        possible, esp since the charger says 23.1v.

                                        If you have a meter that reads current, make sure that you don't have
                                        the leads plugged into the Amps plug on the meter. If so you've already
                                        blown a fuse, either in the pack or the meter, by putting it across the
                                        blades. Since the mower reads 23.1v, I'd guess you've blown the meter
                                        fuse. But the voltmeter side will still work, that's just the ammeter
                                        fuse, if the plug is moved to the voltmeter jack.

                                        Danny

                                      • toolman_d
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 5 3:32 PM
                                          The dock should be putting out around 35v.

                                        • David Christopher
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 5 3:44 PM
                                            Yeah so I just finished messing with it -- the voltmeter read between 37-40
                                            on the wire coming from the power supply Not sure what that should be, but
                                            it was live. However the two wires that connect from the docking station
                                            circuit board to the blades gave no readings at all. Not the blades, not
                                            the wires connected to the blades. I unscrewed the circuit board but that's
                                            as far as I got, not much more I can do. So the power wire going into the
                                            circuit board has power, but the wires coming out of it that connect to the
                                            blades do not. I'm not sure what reading I'm supposed to get on any of
                                            this.

                                            I thought perhaps I could splice into the wires and give juice to the wires
                                            that connect to the blades, but that didn't work at all. Mower didn't like
                                            that.

                                            So, to top all of that off, I noticed that the perimeter wire connector
                                            (green connector on the circuit board that the perimeter wire connects to)
                                            was somewhat loose on the circuit board -- and wouldn't you know by the end
                                            of my fiddling with things, it broke completely off. So now I'm totally
                                            screwed.

                                            Looks like I need a new circuit board for the docking station.

                                            Other than the perimeter wire connector coming off, any thoughts on the lack
                                            of power to the charging blades? Something wrong in the circuit board?

                                            On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 4:06 PM, vandervoordef <voorde@...> wrote:

                                            > Hey Dave,
                                            >
                                            > We're all dying to hear the next sequel of your story; is there any?
                                            >
                                            > Frans
                                            >

                                            > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>, David
                                            > Christopher <david.christopher@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Yep my battery connections look fine.
                                            > >
                                            > > So the voltmeter says 23.1 with the mower docked. However without the
                                            > > mower, the voltmeter gives no reading on the "blades". I'm no genius but
                                            > it
                                            > > seems this would be the problem -- battery is not getting charged because
                                            > > there's no juice coming from the dock to charge it!?? What should that
                                            > > reading be?
                                            > >
                                            > > I'll take the dock apart later and see if I get any readings on the
                                            > wires.
                                            > > Question though, why would the mower says "Docking..." and the battery
                                            > icon
                                            > > show that it's charging if there was no power going to the mower from the
                                            > > dock?
                                            > >

                                            > > On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 12:35 PM, toolman_d <toolman_d@...> wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > > > You should have it set to DC.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > The red wire from the case should be connected to the + (red) post on
                                            > the
                                            > > > 1st battery. The negative on the first battery should be hooked to the
                                            > > > positive on the second battery and the negative on the 2nd battery
                                            > should be
                                            > > > connected to the black wire on the battery case.
                                            > > > The batteries are in series - not parallel.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > You can see pictures here of what it should look like:
                                            > > > http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Image:RoboMower_battery_wiring.jpg
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Also if you have a camera or a cell phone with a camera it's always
                                            > useful
                                            > > > to take some pictures of what it should look like if you are taking
                                            > > > something new apart.
                                            > > >

                                            > > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com><RoboMower%
                                            > 40yahoogroups.com>, David

                                            > > > (please)
                                            > > > attached,
                                            > put
                                            > > > the
                                            > > > etc).

                                            > batteries
                                            > > > attached
                                            > is,
                                            > > > one
                                            > goes
                                            > There
                                            > > > is
                                            > the

                                            > > > can't
                                            > so
                                            > > > I'm

                                            > 40yahoogroups.com><RoboMower%
                                            > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, David

                                            > the
                                            > out
                                            > > > of
                                            > not
                                            > > > well
                                            > I've

                                            > > > when

                                          • David Christopher
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 5 3:50 PM
                                              I have a little Radioshack multimeter -- the leads don't come out of the
                                              meter - they are permanently attached. There is a dial that has AC, DC,
                                              DCA, and OHM choices (with various voltages 2, 20, 200, 500) on them (for
                                              the most part).

                                              When I put the leads on the blades with the dial set to DC 200, I get
                                              nothing. But when the mower is docked in it, they read 23.1 -- but that's
                                              what the connectors on the mower give anyway.

                                              When I took the docking station cover off and checked the power wire, it
                                              read around 37 -- but the blades still gave nothing.

                                              It's very, very possible that I was doing something wrong, but this is what
                                              I did (right or wrong?).

                                              On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                              > > dock?
                                              > >

                                              > > On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 12:35 PM, toolman_d <toolman_d@...<toolman_d%40yahoo.com>>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > >> You should have it set to DC.
                                              > >>
                                              > >> The red wire from the case should be connected to the + (red) post on
                                              > the
                                              > >> 1st battery. The negative on the first battery should be hooked to the
                                              > >> positive on the second battery and the negative on the 2nd battery
                                              > should be
                                              > >> connected to the black wire on the battery case.
                                              > >> The batteries are in series - not parallel.
                                              > >>
                                              > >> You can see pictures here of what it should look like:
                                              > >> http://robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Image:RoboMower_battery_wiring.jpg
                                              > >>
                                              > >> Also if you have a camera or a cell phone with a camera it's always
                                              > useful
                                              > >> to take some pictures of what it should look like if you are taking

                                            • Matt Cooper
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 5 6:18 PM
                                                Hi David,

                                                With the battery pack top open and completely separate from the mower or the docking station... set the voltmeter to DC 20 and only check individual battiery leads...tell me what the individual batteries show for voltage. as you probably know, don't use that setting (DC 20) to check the combined leads to both batteries on the (outside the pack).

                                                Matt Cooper, Owner of AutoMate Tools
                                                ph. 214-538-0409

> [...]
                                                > ignorance to this type of thing

                                                > "blades" when the mower was not

                                                > exactly sure which setting to
                                                > > put

                                                > multimeter with AC, DC, Ohm,

                                                > expertise by any means.

                                                > when I installed the new
                                                > > batteries
                                                > as the old batteries were

                                                > coming out of where the fuse
                                                > > is,

                                                > one battery, and the other
                                                > > goes

                                                > pack clicks into the mower. There

                                                > metal connector to the negative
                                                > there is a wire that connects
                                                > > the
                                                > batteries. Is this right?

                                                > on with this mower --- now I

                                                > says "recharge battery" -- so

                                                > to the batteries now. Help!

                                                > Juncher

                                                > <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com><RoboMower%

                                              • David Christopher
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 6 7:00 AM
                                                  Hi Matt,

                                                  With the battery pack completely removed from the mower and the top off, the
                                                  individual batteries gave a reading of 11.31 and 11.4.
                                                  They are both uncharged (since the dock won't seem to charge them).

                                                  Thanks
                                                  David