create my own Robo Ruler

  • xuexial
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2009
      I just realized that I've misplaced the Robo Ruler but still have to finish wiring the last zone of my yard which I didn't get to last year.

      I figure I can easily create my own Robo Ruler but was wondering how long it is...

      Appreciate any help
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2009
        I use the length of green stakes instead of the ruler. My "1,2,3" rule:

        1 stake from sidewalks and other level surfaces the mower can put a wheel
        on. It will mow all the grass without needing edging.

        2 stakes from "soft" edges like flower beds. This is the type edge that the
        mower can go to without hurting anything or bumping anything.

        3 stakes from "hard" edges like fences, your house, or landscaping stones
        that the mower would "bump".

        Dan

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2009
          I also use the 1,2,3, stake rule, as it is much better than the roboruler.

          Bob

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "xuexial" <zerolife@...> wrote:

          > I just realized that I've misplaced the Robo Ruler but still have to finish wiring the last zone of my yard which I didn't get to last year.
          >
          > I figure I can easily create my own Robo Ruler but was wondering how long it is...
          >
          > Appreciate any help

        • xuexial
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2009
            lol that's a great idea ... thanks guys

            i don't really like the ruler either

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Barclay" <Dan@...> wrote:

            > I use the length of green stakes instead of the ruler. My "1,2,3" rule:
            >

            > 1 stake from sidewalks and other level surfaces the mower can put a wheel
            > on. It will mow all the grass without needing edging.
            >
            > 2 stakes from "soft" edges like flower beds. This is the type edge that the
            > mower can go to without hurting anything or bumping anything.
            >
            > 3 stakes from "hard" edges like fences, your house, or landscaping stones
            > that the mower would "bump".
            >

            > Dan
            >

            > _____

          • bkelley9401
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2009
              For those that don't have original stakes the robo ruler is 12" & 18" . The green pegs are 5.5"

              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2009
                I'm a lazy engineer<g>. On the first mower I put out I kept leaving the
                ruler and having to go back and pick it up. I always had stakes<vbg>

                I also noticed that the ruler wasn't really where you needed to be for my
                mower. Not all mowers track exactly the same place so you may want to
                "lightly stake" the wire and run the more before putting all the stakes in.

                In running the mower, don't just have it go around the perimeter. At the
                end of mowing the mower has to go to the wire and acquire it to follow it
                back to the dock. In areas that are "3", back the mower away from the wire
                and use "go to dock" to make sure the mower can get on the wire and follow
                it without bumping the hard edge.

                Dan

                _____

                > I use the length of green stakes instead of the ruler. My "1,2,3" rule:
                >

                > 1 stake from sidewalks and other level surfaces the mower can put a wheel
                > on. It will mow all the grass without needing edging.
                >
                > 2 stakes from "soft" edges like flower beds. This is the type edge that
                the
                > mower can go to without hurting anything or bumping anything.
                >
                > 3 stakes from "hard" edges like fences, your house, or landscaping stones
                > that the mower would "bump".
                >

                > Dan
                >

                > _____
                >
                > From: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
                > I just realized that I've misplaced the Robo Ruler but still have to
                finish
                > wiring the last zone of my yard which I didn't get to last year.
                >
                > I figure I can easily create my own Robo Ruler but was wondering how long
                it
                > is...
                >
                > Appreciate any help

              • Bob and Barbara
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2009
                  Dans made a good point about "go to dock" and "bumping the hard edge"

                  Once Robo is finished mowing and headed back to the dock, They kind of look and act like a drunken sailor zigging and zagging as they follow the wire. LOL
                  I had to make a few adjustments.

                  Bob