Decoded protocol for RL500 controller?

  • gnatgosplat
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
      Has anyone ever decoded the data protocol of the connection between the RL500 controller and brain (the telephone style cord)?
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
        Actually, yeah.

        IIRC, it's 9600 baud 8N1.

        The data is arranged into frames and there is a checksum on data to and
        from the controller

        Danny

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 18, 2009
          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

          > Actually, yeah.
          >
          > IIRC, it's 9600 baud 8N1.
          >
          > The data is arranged into frames and there is a checksum on data to and
          > from the controller
          >
          > Danny
          >
          > gnatgosplat wrote:
          > > Has anyone ever decoded the data protocol of the connection between the RL500 controller and brain (the telephone style cord)?

          Thanks! Do you have any more details on the actual data or how to calculate the checksum?
          Do you know if the voltage is logic-level or RS-232 level? If logic-level, do you know if 5V or 3.3V?
          Pinouts?
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 19, 2009
            I haven't looked at it but a very large number of protocols using packets
            like Danny described the checksum is a simple XOR of the bytes ahead of it
            in the packet. I'd be willing to bet that's what they use.

            Dan

            _____

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22, 2009
              It's much more likely it's a CRC. Also, there is a break which
              signifies beginning/end of packet which is how it figures out how to
              frame pages.

              The sounds and speech are not transmitted across the link. They're
              stored on the hand controller on OTP (one-time-programming) EPROM and
              simply called by the hand controller's microcontroller sensing button
              inputs or whatever, or the microcontroller may call them due to a
              request from the mower on the data bus. You can't change the sounds
              without physically replacing the EPROM.

              What do you want to do this for, btw?

              Danny

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 23, 2009
                Uhhh. I don't want to do it. I've got my fingers in software communication
                protocols enough already. I just want my yard mowed<g>. Someone else was
                asking.

                It's possible it's a CRC, but you'd be surprised at how many protocols are
                built around simple XOR checksums. It's extremely simple and does the job
                in most cases.

                Dan

                Dan Barclay wrote:
                > I haven't looked at it but a very large number of protocols using packets
                > like Danny described the checksum is a simple XOR of the bytes ahead of it
                > in the packet. I'd be willing to bet that's what they use.
                >

                > Dan

              • gnatgosplat
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 23, 2009
                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                  > It's much more likely it's a CRC. Also, there is a break which
                  > signifies beginning/end of packet which is how it figures out how to
                  > frame pages.
                  >
                  > The sounds and speech are not transmitted across the link. They're
                  > stored on the hand controller on OTP (one-time-programming) EPROM and
                  > simply called by the hand controller's microcontroller sensing button
                  > inputs or whatever, or the microcontroller may call them due to a
                  > request from the mower on the data bus. You can't change the sounds
                  > without physically replacing the EPROM.
                  >
                  > What do you want to do this for, btw?
                  >
                  > Danny
                  >
                  > Dan Barclay wrote:
                  > > I haven't looked at it but a very large number of protocols using packets
                  > > like Danny described the checksum is a simple XOR of the bytes ahead of it
                  > > in the packet. I'd be willing to bet that's what they use.

                  I'd really like to be able to manually remote control the mower from inside the house so I can drive it outside and start it, get it unstuck, manually mow those narrow stretches of lawn that the mower can't handle itself, and be alerted when it is stuck or finished, all from the comfort of my sofa.

                  I had 2 different ideas on a "brain", that is:
                  1. Use an old Windows Mobile phone with Wifi and Bluetooth. Use a BT to serial adapter and connect Robomower to the phone via Bluetooth virtual COM port. Then run a web server (or web service) on the phone that I can connect to from my laptop (or another mobile phone) via Wifi and also stream video from the phone's camera so I can see where the robot is. This kind of thing has been done to some extent, just not with a Robomow, and Microsoft has a Visual Robotics Studio SDK for Windows Mobile as well.
                  2. Use a WRT54G router running Linux and ethernet web cam to do essentially the same thing, and connect its serial port to the Robomow. This exact thing has been done to control an R/C car so it could be adapted to Robomow as well.

                  So far all I've done is I've mapped the pinouts with the help of an oscilloscope. The yellow and green wires are the TX and RX, it's a 0-5V logic serial signal. I haven't devised a way to log the data, I'll need to either connect a MAX232 to convert the logic signal to RS232 or maybe go ahead and buy a BT to UART adapter and try to communicate using BT. I don't know if I can transmit on the serial bus without confusing the controller, robot, or both.

                  Also, what's the 1/8" stereo minijack on the controller for? I can't detect any signal on either wire there. Its wires go straight to the phone cord, it's not hooked up to any circuitry in the controller.
                • hendrikf
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 13, 2013
                    Hello,

                    I answer to this quite old discussion, as it's the only discussion I found on this.
                    Has there been any progress on this topic?
                    I would like to control my Robomow RM400 via Network, so I am looking for the protocol the Remote-Control uses.

                    Greetings,
                    Hendrik

                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                    > It's much more likely it's a CRC. Also, there is a break which
                    > signifies beginning/end of packet which is how it figures out how to
                    > frame pages.
                    >
                    > The sounds and speech are not transmitted across the link. They're
                    > stored on the hand controller on OTP (one-time-programming) EPROM and
                    > simply called by the hand controller's microcontroller sensing button
                    > inputs or whatever, or the microcontroller may call them due to a
                    > request from the mower on the data bus. You can't change the sounds
                    > without physically replacing the EPROM.
                    >
                    > What do you want to do this for, btw?
                    >
                    > Danny
                    >
                    > Dan Barclay wrote:
                    > > I haven't looked at it but a very large number of protocols using packets
                    > > like Danny described the checksum is a simple XOR of the bytes ahead of it
                    > > in the packet. I'd be willing to bet that's what they use.
                    > >

                    > > Dan

                  • Hendrik Friedel
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 11 3:09 AM
                      Hello,

                      > Re: Decoded protocol for RL500 controller? <#1a> by "hendrikf" hendrikf

                      > Re: Decoded protocol for RL500 controller?
                      > Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:38 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > I answer to this quite old discussion, as it's the only discussion I
                      > found on this.
                      > Has there been any progress on this topic?
                      > I would like to control my Robomow RM400 via Network, so I am looking
                      > for the protocol the Remote-Control uses.

                      I see no answer on this, so I take this as a 'no'.
                      Would you know a point of contact at Robomow, who could be willing to
                      answer this Question?

                      Regards,
                      Hendrik
                    • Boomsling
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 11 5:57 AM
                        Have you seen the files section, in thrre you csn download software to
                        connect your pc to the robot to flash firmware and perform tests. You will
                        need rsr232 to rj11 leads and adapters.

                        You might be able to reverse engineer the firmware to find out the protocol
                        used.

                        Regards

                        Brett