What happened to this group?

  • Bob and Barbara
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 4, 2008
      No, messages in a week? I guess everybodys Robos are working PERFECTLY!
      I know mine are... except they don't do well mulching up the leaves.
      Have to break out the Cub Cadet tractor to pull the lawn vac. lol

      Bob
    • Ben Sporl
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 4, 2008
        My grass stopped growing (Texas). I see my mowers sleeping in the garage everyday (secretly thinking they are lazy).

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 4, 2008
          Bob, it's election week - everybody is voting for Obama :o)

          My mower is working just fine.

          I am on my way to list a house for sale and then I have a flight to Chicago
          to catch in 3 hours to the Obama Bash!

          Vote and Vote Early!

          On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Bob and Barbara <eventtravelers@...>wrote:

          > No, messages in a week? I guess everybodys Robos are working PERFECTLY!
          > I know mine are... except they don't do well mulching up the leaves.
          > Have to break out the Cub Cadet tractor to pull the lawn vac. lol
          >
          > Bob

        • Christopher Zach
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 4, 2008
            Mine's doing fine; it mows down Obama and McCain signs. Who would have
            known it was built by a Libertarian?

            Anyway, I also got another set of batteries out of an old APC UPS, 2+
            hours of runtime. Question: I want this thing to get out there and mulch
            the heck out of the leaves, should I have it set high or low? I could
            run it every day till Christmas if needed but I don't want to rake this
            year.

            Chris
          • Tom Stewart
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 4, 2008
              I mulch leaves with low cut blades and the mower wheels down in the back and medium on front wheel.  Not perfect mulching, but enough to keep the leaves from blowing around and clogging up drains.

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 4, 2008
                Greetings from Scotland.
                We have our first snow in the Highlands so my Robo is in the garage
                for the winter.
                You may remember I had a problem where my Robo would not mow in a
                straight line.
                I'm pleased to report that Matt Cooper in Mesquite TX repaired the
                main board for me and all's well now.
                A bit early, but Merry Xmas and a Good New Year from Scotland.

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Bob and Barbara"
                <eventtravelers@...> wrote:

                > No, messages in a week? I guess everybodys Robos are working
                PERFECTLY!
                > I know mine are... except they don't do well mulching up the
                leaves.
                > Have to break out the Cub Cadet tractor to pull the lawn vac. lol
                >
                > Bob

              • Melissa
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 5, 2008
                  My mowers are put away for the winter. A couple weeks ago, I found one
                  of the Automowers stopped in the yard, bleating for help. We had so
                  much frost that there was a 1/2" buildup of ice on the wheels! That's
                  when we shut them down and moved them inside.

                  I hope there are mowers that aren't working perfectly! I am now a
                  dealer for Robomower and Automower. I've been to one repair class,
                  will be going to the other class soon, have a garage full of new and
                  reconditioned mowers, and am placing my orders for parts this week.
                  It's going to be an exciting winter!

                  Melissa in MI
                  Envirogreen Mowers
                • Ben Sporl
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                    Have you tried the new solar power Husqvarna mower? Any comments about it?

                    Also, as a new dealer you should be plugging your web-site.

                    http://envirogreenmowers.com

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                      As far asd your comment of mowers not workign perfectly, I had two Robomowers fail in one week.  My RL800 had the keypad go bad out of the blue.  A $120 fix I wish did not happen, but could be worse.  My RL1000 on the other hand had a much more severe malfunction.  It drove out of the perimeter wire a good 30 feet or so.  Normally that would probably not be a bd thing, but the last 10 feet of that journey was the competition ski lake behind my home.  Needless to say, it's 100% dead, but I am happy to say that Robomower is standing behind their product and promised to replace it.  Steve at Probotics in PA where I purchased my RL1000 was nice enough to help me with all this and is taking care of my replacement as I post.  There still is not a real good explanation for what happened though, hence the replacement as this is just not supposed to happen.  I have since mowed the same area with my repaired RL800 and no problems, so I hope this is a one
                      in a billion glitch.  Anyone else ever had an RL1000 go rogue?

                      ____________ _________ _________ __

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                        > Also, as a new dealer you should be plugging your web-site.
                        >
                        > http://envirogreenmowers.com

                        Oh, I will be, when it has something to say. I hope to have more
                        content online this week.

                        I haven't tried the solar mower yet. I will be ordering one and will
                        try it out in the spring.

                        Melissa
                      • IggyKC@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                          I've had RL500 and 1000 leave the perimeter wire and land on the street once
                          and also in the back yard of two of my neighbors.

                          On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Leszek Skulski <leszek68@...> wrote:

                          > As far asd your comment of mowers not workign perfectly, I had two
                          > Robomowers fail in one week. My RL800 had the keypad go bad out of the
                          > blue. A $120 fix I wish did not happen, but could be worse. My RL1000 on
                          > the other hand had a much more severe malfunction. It drove out of the
                          > perimeter wire a good 30 feet or so. Normally that would probably not be a
                          > bd thing, but the last 10 feet of that journey was the competition ski lake
                          > behind my home. Needless to say, it's 100% dead, but I am happy to say that
                          > Robomower is standing behind their product and promised to replace it.
                          > Steve at Probotics in PA where I purchased my RL1000 was nice enough to help
                          > me with all this and is taking care of my replacement as I post. There
                          > still is not a real good explanation for what happened though, hence the
                          > replacement as this is just not supposed to happen. I have since mowed the
                          > same area with my repaired RL800 and no problems, so I hope this is a one
                          > in a billion glitch. Anyone else ever had an RL1000 go rogue?
                          >
                          > --- On Sun, 11/9/08, Ben Sporl <bsporl@... <bsporl%40yahoo.com>>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > From: Ben Sporl <bsporl@... <bsporl%40yahoo.com>>
                          > Subject: Re: [RoboMower] Re: What happened to this group?
                          > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 12:06 PM
                          >
                          > Have you tried the new solar power Husqvarna mower? Any comments about it?
                          >
                          > Also, as a new dealer you should be plugging your web-site.
                          >
                          > http://envirogreenm owers.com
                          >
                          > ____________ _________ _________ __

                        • Christopher Zach
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                            Leszek Skulski wrote:
                            > As far asd your comment of mowers not workign perfectly, I had two Robomowers fail in one week. My RL800 had the keypad go bad out of the blue. A $120 fix I wish did not happen, but could be worse. My RL1000 on the other hand had a much more severe malfunction. It drove out of the perimeter wire a good 30 feet or so. Normally that would probably not be a bd thing, but the last 10 feet of that journey was the competition ski lake behind my home. Needless to say, it's 100% dead, but I am happy to say that Robomower is standing behind their product and promised to replace it. Steve at Probotics in PA where I purchased my RL1000 was nice enough to help me with all this and is taking care of my replacement as I post. There still is not a real good explanation for what happened though, hence the replacement as this is just not supposed to happen. I have since mowed the same area with my repaired RL800 and no problems, so I hope this is a one
                            > in a billion glitch. Anyone else ever had an RL1000 go rogue?

                            Neat! So it actually got 10 feet into the lake before it died? I'm
                            impressed; must be the rain-proofing.

                            I'm not sure if the Robomower boards are conformal coated or not; if so
                            taking it totally apart and washing it in isopropyl alcohol should get
                            it running; I once had an electric car controller that sat for a month
                            in antifreeze/water that came back after being soaked in alcohol, then
                            again and again then dried in a 120 degree oven. However if it went
                            rolling out of the field something is massively wrong.

                            Fixing the controller switches is not hard if one knows how to solder:
                            Radio shack sells the micro-switches and I was able to remove the old
                            ones and put new ones on with a 15 watt iron. Just use really thin solder.

                            Chris
                          • Tom Stewart
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                              Yes I have had the same problem.  Twice my RL1000 left my yard and entered the neighbors.  I have also had the mower run along the perimeter wire in the opposite direction, clockwise instead of counter-clockwise.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                                Hi Tom,

                                Do you have more than one zone set up? If so, do they come close to each
                                other (within 5 or 6 feet)?

                                That's one thing that can cause a mower to get confused about the perimeter,
                                and I've duplicated that with my own tests. Be sure adjacent zones are
                                turned off as FR specifies. They're not kidding about that.

                                Since adjacent zones can cause this problem, other electrical interference
                                may do it as well. I have not experience with other electrical noise doing
                                that, but it's something you might want to consider.

                                Dan

                                _____

                                From: Christopher Zach <cz@....
                                <mailto:cz%40alembic.crystel.com> com>
                                To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
                                Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 4:32 PM

                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                                  I took the cover off and got all the water out and blew compressed air in there as best I could to get all the water out and then sat it on the heated tikle floor in my bathroom for a couple days, but nothing turned on when I put power back to it.  It spent probably 15 hours or so partually submerged.  THe boards and contacts were suprisingly corroded for sucha short time in the water.  I think there was some sort of galvanic transfer happening - a trickle of electricity spedding up the oxidizing process.  All of the connectors had a green buildup on them like an old car battery that had a bad connection for a long time.  In any case, I had only had it for just over a couple months, so again - Steve from Probotics really pulled through for me and took the ball as far as a replacement.  I live in an area of about 1000 homes or so that have yards which are perfect for Robomowers.  I have people constantly walking past my home going for walks stop
                                  and stare at my mowers.  They have gone to get theor wives and neighbors and they are amazed at how well they do keeping up the lawn.  I would be very surprised if there are not a bunch of Robomowers cropping up around the area in the next year or so.  I am guessing that there are a number of people doing what I wanted to do originally which was to wait for someone else to get one and see how they work out.  Essentially make someone else be the guinea pig.  I got tires of waiting and decided to be the rodent myself.  I guess if I were Friendly Robotics, I to would be quick to replace a mower that had gone Rogue to show a stance behind the product.  So far so good.  Of course I did not receive the replacement yet, but I have no reason to doubt I will get it as that is what was promised.    That being said, I am thrilled with the mowers so far, I just hope that what Steve told me is true that this is a very very rare occurance and this never
                                  happens again.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                                    I do have 3 zones, but I have read all of the cautions about the proximity of the zones.  I read that they should be 5 feet apart.  I am always one to go the "extra mile" so I measured them out to be 7 feet apart.  Anyone think I might have to go further than 7 feet?

                                    From: Christopher Zach <cz@....
                                    <mailto:cz%40alembi c.crystel. com> com>
                                    To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower% 40yahoogroups. com> ps.com
                                    Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 4:32 PM

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                                      My experience is that 5 feet should be enough. I actually have some that
                                      are much closer (between 1 and 2 feet), but have a fence between them. My
                                      own tests indicate that works OK with the fence, though the mower sometimes
                                      bumps the fence. The problem I've seen is when the mower has the ability to
                                      jump zones because the zones are so close and no barrier.

                                      For example, if you put two zones very close and the mower jumps, it can
                                      start going "backwards" (clockwise instead of counterclockwise) around a
                                      perimeter on the second zone. Then, when it turns left to go into the zone
                                      to mow it's actually turning out of the zone and away it goes.

                                      In reality I do program my mowers so that the adjacent zones aren't on at
                                      the same time, but I've run them concurrently without trouble so long as the
                                      fence separates them. I've also tested without a fence and can certify that
                                      the mower can pick up the adjacent zone and start around it backwards
                                      turning left and outbound.

                                      Dan.

                                      _____

                                      --- On Sun, 11/9/08, Dan Barclay <Dan@BarclaySoftware

                                      From: Christopher Zach <cz@... <mailto:cz%40alembic.crystel> .
                                      <mailto:cz%40alembi c.crystel. com> com>
                                      To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower% 40yahoogroups. com> ps.com
                                      Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 4:32 PM

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                                        Hey Dan,

                                        I have one continuous wire comprising 4 zones.  The zones are approximately 18 inches apart and the tunnels 12 inches wide.  At the end of a zone, the wire turns 90 degrees, runs for 18 inches and then turns 90 degrees again.  The wire for the next zone runs parallel to the wire from the previous zone.  Is this what you mean regarding the distance between zones? I have had the "events" two are three times with the wires configured as described. If we are talking the same things when we specify zones, I would assume your return wire is 5 to 7 feet from the adjacent zone.  If the is correct, how do you cut the 5 to 7 foot strip of grass between your zones?

                                        Regards Tom

                                        From: Dan Barclay <Dan@BarclaySoftware .com>

                                        To: RoboMower@yahoogrou ps.com

                                        From: Christopher Zach <cz@....

                                        <mailto:cz%40alembi c.crystel. com> com>

                                        To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower% 40yahoogroups. com> ps.com

                                        Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 4:32 PM

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                                          A couple of things:

                                          First, one continuous wire would have 4 "areas" but they'd be on one "zone"
                                          (one perimeter switch or dock). I used to call those separate areas zones
                                          as well, but it's confusing when you start including real zones in the
                                          discussion. They are different areas that get mowed from different entry
                                          points.

                                          I also have areas with wires that double back on each other. I call those
                                          "walls" . I haven't had trouble with the mower getting too confused on
                                          those, though the mower "pushes back" a little when going around the
                                          perimeter.

                                          The tests I did with adjacent zones were completely separate zones, with
                                          their own perimeter switch. If you put those close together you can get
                                          some downright weird behavior<g>. I've repeatedly had a mower that was
                                          going around a perimeter turn around and start going the opposite way
                                          around, but only if the mower was capable of getting to the second wire.
                                          I've got a couple of places that have zones close together but have a fence
                                          between. Since the mower can't actually get to the other wire it doesn't
                                          seem to get out of whack, though it might bump the fence trying.

                                          In short, I don't have any areas that are 5 to 7 feet unmowed. If you did
                                          have that situation then go ahead and put the wires close together but just
                                          be certain you don't turn them on at the same time. As an aside, it would
                                          be nice if FR had a way to enforce this (set up docks so that more than one
                                          perimeter would not turn on at the same time).

                                          From: Christopher Zach <cz@... <mailto:cz%40alembic.crystel> .

                                          <mailto:cz%40alembi c.crystel. com> com>

                                          To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower% 40yahoogroups. com> ps.com

                                          Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 4:32 PM

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                                            It is the first signs of it becoming self-aware and wanting to rebel
                                            against its human masters.

                                            Don't go to sleep with the mower running. Next thing you know it'll be
                                            mowing you to death in your sleep.

                                            Danny

                                            Leszek Skulski wrote:
                                            > As far asd your comment of mowers not workign perfectly, I had two Robomowers fail in one week. My RL800 had the keypad go bad out of the blue. A $120 fix I wish did not happen, but could be worse. My RL1000 on the other hand had a much more severe malfunction. It drove out of the perimeter wire a good 30 feet or so. Normally that would probably not be a bd thing, but the last 10 feet of that journey was the competition ski lake behind my home. Needless to say, it's 100% dead, but I am happy to say that Robomower is standing behind their product and promised to replace it. Steve at Probotics in PA where I purchased my RL1000 was nice enough to help me with all this and is taking care of my replacement as I post. There still is not a real good explanation for what happened though, hence the replacement as this is just not supposed to happen. I have since mowed the same area with my repaired RL800 and no problems, so I hope this is a one
                                            > in a billion glitch. Anyone else ever had an RL1000 go rogue?

                                          • Bill
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                                              <> It is the first signs of it becoming self-aware>
                                              ----------------
                                              That's why you should NEVER give them names.

                                              Additionally........
                                              never get them wet.......
                                              or feed them after midnight.

                                              ;-)
                                              WB

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                                                I guess I have what you call walls then.  I have them 7 feet apart.  You suppose I can put them closer?  I mow the spots between walls with a 48 volt craftsmen push mower I specifically bought to mow these areas.  Only takes a few minutes, but it would be nice to get them done automatically.

                                                --- On Sun, 11/9/08, Leszek Skulski <leszek68@yahoo. com

                                                From: Christopher Zach <cz@... <mailto:cz%40alembi c.crystel> .

                                                <mailto:cz%40alembi c.crystel. com> com>

                                                To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower% 40yahoogroups. com> ps.com

                                                Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 4:32 PM

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                                                  I've had success with "walls" of 12 to 18 inches separation so long as it is
                                                  driven by the same perimeter switch or dock. You do need to "ramp" the
                                                  clearance together (don't expect to turn 90 degree corners into a tight
                                                  clearance). Make the turn when 2 or 3 feet away, then allow the wires to
                                                  come together over 4 or 5 feet length. Also, don't expect a mower to make a
                                                  180 degree turn at the end of a "wall". I take my "walls" to trees and let
                                                  the mower turn around the tree.

                                                  Separation of 18" is more reliable than 12" (you can sometimes get overshoot
                                                  if the wall is too narrow). You'll probably have a narrow "stripe" of
                                                  unmowed grass with the wires 18" apart. Note that if the wires are too
                                                  close together, even if the mower crosses the wall it will still be "inside"
                                                  the zone just in another area.

                                                  That's not Friendly Robotics science; it's just from my tinkering. YMMV,
                                                  etc, etc.

                                                  Dan

                                                  _____

                                                  --- On Mon, 11/10/08, Dan Barclay <Dan@BarclaySoftware

                                                  From: Christopher Zach <cz@... <mailto:cz%40alembic.crystel>

                                                  To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower% 40yahoogroups. com> ps.com

                                                  Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 4:32 PM

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 13, 2008
                                                    That's a Big Problem waiting to happen!! Four years ago when I got my 2
                                                    RL1000s, I realized quickly that 2 Robos can't run at the same time in
                                                    different docking zones. I even posted it here for FR to look into.
                                                    My suggestion was to make a different code like maybe A,B,C,D that can
                                                    be selected on the Robomower. That way my 2 Robos can run the same
                                                    time, or you and your neighbors can also. I can foresee a scheduling
                                                    nightmare in the near future and a Negative Selling Factor for FR if
                                                    you have several neighbors that get them. And what about that A$$hole
                                                    neighbor that won't work with you on schedule??
                                                    Opinions?

                                                    Bob

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 13, 2008
                                                      << I can foresee a scheduling nightmare in the near future and a
                                                      Negative Selling Factor for FR if you have several neighbors that get
                                                      them. And what about that A$$hole neighbor that won't work with you on
                                                      schedule??
                                                      Opinions?

                                                      At least one of The Other Brands doesn't have an issue with this. It
                                                      certainly needs to be part of the decision process and is a good
                                                      example of why one mower doesn't fit all. If there is enough feedback
                                                      to FR that this is a big problem, I would hope that they address it.

                                                      Melissa in MI
                                                      EnviroGreen Mowers
                                                      RoboMower and Automower sales & service