RL1000 Power Supply replacement options

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
      It seems I'm starting to go through power supplies (transformers) on
      my RL1000's this year. Though some (if not all) will be covered by
      warranty, I'm thinking the next time one goes, I'll be stuck having to
      buy.

      That said, I saw some discussions about specs and possible alternate
      power supplies, but couldn't find any concrete examples.

      Has anyone found a valid alternate (off the shelf) power supply
      replacement for the RL1000 docking station models? (model #'s, urls, etc.)

      I can keep the transformer inside, so it need not be water proof.

      I'm pretty sure one of my failing transformers lead to an early demise
      of a battery pack (due to incomplete charging...not sure, but I think so).

      Thanks!
    • Ben
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2008
        I just purchased a 32v DC regulated power supply on eBay for less than $20
        with shipping. It was originally for a HP printer. The plug is completely
        different so I'll have to replace that. If you have any soldering experience
        it's pretty easy the only trick is to get the polarity correct. You would
        need a voltage meter.

        For a current rating you want one equal or greater than the original. The
        original was around 950ma if I remember and the HP was around 1500ma. It's
        also regulated so the voltage is much more stable than a simple transformer
        power supply.

        I looked everywhere for an easier OR cheaper solution and 32v power supplies
        are not easy to find.

        If you are looking for the outdoor power supply you'll have to stick with
        what you can get from robomower dealers from what I found. I'd highly
        recommend trying to find an indoor location for an indoor supply instead. A
        wood shed, garage, etc..

        -ben

        On 9/15/08, Dan <bha@...> wrote:

        > It seems I'm starting to go through power supplies (transformers) on
        > my RL1000's this year. Though some (if not all) will be covered by
        > warranty, I'm thinking the next time one goes, I'll be stuck having to
        > buy.
        >
        > That said, I saw some discussions about specs and possible alternate
        > power supplies, but couldn't find any concrete examples.
        >
        > Has anyone found a valid alternate (off the shelf) power supply
        > replacement for the RL1000 docking station models? (model #'s, urls, etc.)
        >
        > I can keep the transformer inside, so it need not be water proof.
        >
        > I'm pretty sure one of my failing transformers lead to an early demise
        > of a battery pack (due to incomplete charging...not sure, but I think so).
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Bob and Barbara
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
          Ben, According to the users manual... the RL1000 power supply is not
          weatherproof, but to be used in a dry location like in a shed or
          garage and out of the sun.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
            Yes, according to the manual.

            According to my experience, mainly *keep it cool* is number one priority.
            Keeping it dry is number two priority.

            It's potted, so keeping it out of the sun with the face of the case pointing
            "up" will keep it dry in my opinion. That is, keep the flat part that is
            the "back" pointing down and off the ground. Any water will shed over the
            top and won't be tempted to seep in the cracks where it's put together.

            Do *not* put it in a closed, weatherproof, outdoor box. It'll get too hot.

            Dan

            _____

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com, Ben
            <benj@...> wrote:

            > I just purchased a 32v DC regulated power supply on eBay for less
            than $20
            > with shipping. It was originally for a HP printer. The plug is
            completely
            > different so I'll have to replace that. If you have any soldering
            experience
            > it's pretty easy the only trick is to get the polarity correct. You
            would
            > need a voltage meter.
            >
            > For a current rating you want one equal or greater than the
            original. The
            > original was around 950ma if I remember and the HP was around
            1500ma. It's
            > also regulated so the voltage is much more stable than a simple
            transformer
            > power supply.
            >
            > I looked everywhere for an easier OR cheaper solution and 32v power
            supplies
            > are not easy to find.
            >
            > If you are looking for the outdoor power supply you'll have to
            stick with
            > what you can get from robomower dealers from what I found. I'd
            highly
            > recommend trying to find an indoor location for an indoor supply
            instead. A
            > wood shed, garage, etc..
            >
            > -ben
            >

            > On 9/15/08, Dan <bha@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > It seems I'm starting to go through power supplies
            (transformers) on
            > > my RL1000's this year. Though some (if not all) will be covered by
            > > warranty, I'm thinking the next time one goes, I'll be stuck
            having to
            > > buy.
            > >
            > > That said, I saw some discussions about specs and possible
            alternate
            > > power supplies, but couldn't find any concrete examples.
            > >
            > > Has anyone found a valid alternate (off the shelf) power supply
            > > replacement for the RL1000 docking station models? (model #'s,
            urls, etc.)

            > > I can keep the transformer inside, so it need not be water proof.
            > >
            > > I'm pretty sure one of my failing transformers lead to an early
            demise
            > > of a battery pack (due to incomplete charging...not sure, but I
            think so).

            > > Thanks!

          • Frans
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2010
              These power supplies seem to fit and on eBay.com there are plenty around for around $ 10. I have beeen using the ones with the arrows for a while now and they work fine. I paid 7.50 Euro's (about 9 US $) for second hand ones on the Dutch equivalent of eBay. A few old cords with plugs that I had lying around I connected by stripping the wires and inserting them in the original plug of the power supply. A little bit of strategically placed duct tape keeps them well in place and gives good isolation.

              0957-2178, 0957-2094, 0957-2146, 0957-2166

              HP 0957-2094 <-----
              HP 0950-4466 <-----
              HP 0950-2146
              0957-2153
              0957-2178
              0957-2166

              HP 0950-4466
              HP 0957-2094
              HP 0957-2144
              HP 0957-2146
              HP 0957-2166
              HP 0957-2177
              HP 0957-2178

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben <benj@...> wrote:

              > I just purchased a 32v DC regulated power supply on eBay for less than $20
              > with shipping. It was originally for a HP printer. The plug is completely
              > different so I'll have to replace that. If you have any soldering experience
              > it's pretty easy the only trick is to get the polarity correct. You would
              > need a voltage meter.
              >
              > For a current rating you want one equal or greater than the original. The
              > original was around 950ma if I remember and the HP was around 1500ma. It's
              > also regulated so the voltage is much more stable than a simple transformer
              > power supply.
              >
              > I looked everywhere for an easier OR cheaper solution and 32v power supplies
              > are not easy to find.
              >
              > If you are looking for the outdoor power supply you'll have to stick with
              > what you can get from robomower dealers from what I found. I'd highly
              > recommend trying to find an indoor location for an indoor supply instead. A
              > wood shed, garage, etc..
              >
              > -ben
              >

              > On 9/15/08, Dan <bha@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > It seems I'm starting to go through power supplies (transformers) on
              > > my RL1000's this year. Though some (if not all) will be covered by
              > > warranty, I'm thinking the next time one goes, I'll be stuck having to
              > > buy.
              > >
              > > That said, I saw some discussions about specs and possible alternate
              > > power supplies, but couldn't find any concrete examples.
              > >
              > > Has anyone found a valid alternate (off the shelf) power supply
              > > replacement for the RL1000 docking station models? (model #'s, urls, etc.)
              > >
              > > I can keep the transformer inside, so it need not be water proof.
              > >
              > > I'm pretty sure one of my failing transformers lead to an early demise
              > > of a battery pack (due to incomplete charging...not sure, but I think so).
              > >
              > > Thanks!

            • bkelley9401
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2010
                This site has all the 32v HP power adapters for $9.99+ $8.10 shipping.
                http://www.valexonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1002

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Frans" <voorde@...> wrote:

                > These power supplies seem to fit and on eBay.com there are plenty around for around $ 10. I have beeen using the ones with the arrows for a while now and they work fine. I paid 7.50 Euro's (about 9 US $) for second hand ones on the Dutch equivalent of eBay. A few old cords with plugs that I had lying around I connected by stripping the wires and inserting them in the original plug of the power supply. A little bit of strategically placed duct tape keeps them well in place and gives good isolation.
                >

                > 0957-2178, 0957-2094, 0957-2146, 0957-2166
                >
                > HP 0957-2094 <-----
                > HP 0950-4466 <-----
                > HP 0950-2146
                > 0957-2153
                > 0957-2178
                > 0957-2166
                >
                > HP 0950-4466
                > HP 0957-2094
                > HP 0957-2144
                > HP 0957-2146
                > HP 0957-2166
                > HP 0957-2177
                > HP 0957-2178

                > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben <benj@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just purchased a 32v DC regulated power supply on eBay for less than $20
                > > with shipping. It was originally for a HP printer. The plug is completely
                > > different so I'll have to replace that. If you have any soldering experience
                > > it's pretty easy the only trick is to get the polarity correct. You would
                > > need a voltage meter.
                > >
                > > For a current rating you want one equal or greater than the original. The
                > > original was around 950ma if I remember and the HP was around 1500ma. It's
                > > also regulated so the voltage is much more stable than a simple transformer
                > > power supply.
                > >
                > > I looked everywhere for an easier OR cheaper solution and 32v power supplies
                > > are not easy to find.
                > >
                > > If you are looking for the outdoor power supply you'll have to stick with
                > > what you can get from robomower dealers from what I found. I'd highly
                > > recommend trying to find an indoor location for an indoor supply instead. A
                > > wood shed, garage, etc..
                > >
                > > -ben
                > >

                > > On 9/15/08, Dan <bha@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > It seems I'm starting to go through power supplies (transformers) on
                > > > my RL1000's this year. Though some (if not all) will be covered by
                > > > warranty, I'm thinking the next time one goes, I'll be stuck having to
                > > > buy.
                > > >
                > > > That said, I saw some discussions about specs and possible alternate
                > > > power supplies, but couldn't find any concrete examples.
                > > >
                > > > Has anyone found a valid alternate (off the shelf) power supply
                > > > replacement for the RL1000 docking station models? (model #'s, urls, etc.)
                > > >
                > > > I can keep the transformer inside, so it need not be water proof.
                > > >
                > > > I'm pretty sure one of my failing transformers lead to an early demise
                > > > of a battery pack (due to incomplete charging...not sure, but I think so).
                > > >
                > > > Thanks!

              • VinceS
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2010
                  Bought on eBay HP 0950-4491 power adapter: 32 vdc 1100mA. $14.02 includes tax, pickup via Houston World-Net Supply Co., 7330 Rampart St # 106, 77081. They may have a website... I don't remember. They ship but for me it was quicker just to pick it up.

                  I have my charger located in my garage so weather is not an issue.

                  Vince

                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Frans" <voorde@...> wrote:

                  > These power supplies seem to fit and on eBay.com there are plenty around for around $ 10. I have beeen using the ones with the arrows for a while now and they work fine. I paid 7.50 Euro's (about 9 US $) for second hand ones on the Dutch equivalent of eBay. A few old cords with plugs that I had lying around I connected by stripping the wires and inserting them in the original plug of the power supply. A little bit of strategically placed duct tape keeps them well in place and gives good isolation.
                  >

                  > 0957-2178, 0957-2094, 0957-2146, 0957-2166
                  >
                  > HP 0957-2094 <-----
                  > HP 0950-4466 <-----
                  > HP 0950-2146
                  > 0957-2153
                  > 0957-2178
                  > 0957-2166
                  >
                  > HP 0950-4466
                  > HP 0957-2094
                  > HP 0957-2144
                  > HP 0957-2146
                  > HP 0957-2166
                  > HP 0957-2177
                  > HP 0957-2178

                • Ben
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2010
                    I picked up a 24v scooter battery charger on Amazon. I've only been using it
                    a few weeks, the grass hasn't started growing much and my batteries are all
                    old. I just ordered a new set of batteries.

                    24V 2A Scooter battery Charger with XLR connector

                    It seems to work fine. I like the fact that it lowers the current output to
                    a trickle when the battery is charged.

                    Has anyone else had experience using a 24v charger on the robomower with
                    dock?

                    -ben

                  • bkelley9401
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 4, 2010
                      The the power supply for the RL 1000 dock needs at least 38v dc. You need 36v dc at the contacts.
                      I don't have an RL 1000 to play with, but does the RL 1000 work as it should if the battery is fully charged and the horns (charging contacts) taped over when in the docking station? If the 5a charging fuse is pulled and the battery is fully charged will the RL 1000 work as it should? If the 5a charging fuse is pulled and the battey hooked to the after market charger does the RL 1000 work as it should? If you have a yes to any of these their should be a work round.
                      Remember their is no more important safety rule than to let someone else do it for you, you will have someone to blame when it fails.
                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben <benj@...> wrote:

                      > I picked up a 24v scooter battery charger on Amazon. I've only been using it
                      > a few weeks, the grass hasn't started growing much and my batteries are all
                      > old. I just ordered a new set of batteries.
                      >
                      > 24V 2A Scooter battery Charger with XLR connector
                      >
                      > It seems to work fine. I like the fact that it lowers the current output to
                      > a trickle when the battery is charged.
                      >
                      > Has anyone else had experience using a 24v charger on the robomower with
                      > dock?
                      >
                      > -ben

                    • Ben
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 4, 2010
                        "The the power supply for the RL 1000 dock needs at least 38v dc"

                        Unfortunately I do not have a 36v power supply to compare. What is the
                        reason it requires 36 or 38 volts? With the 24v battery charger it it
                        charging the pack to 26.5v, 13.25/battery. Everything else regarding the
                        dock and signal wire works fine.

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 4, 2010
                          I doubt it requires 38v. The supply may provide 38v, but I doubt it's
                          needed. A charger will need some headroom, but the highest an SLA batt
                          should be is about 14.4v, or 28.8v total (and that's for a fast
                          charge). A charger MIGHT need 2 or 3 volts of headroom. In many cases
                          though it can be much less.

                          Your standard "wall wart" unregulated transformer is rated for a certain
                          voltage AT a certain load. But open-circuit or lightly loaded, the
                          voltage is much higher. It drops significantly by the time it gets to
                          full load. So where did this number come from? The unloaded voltage?

                          Danny

                          Ben wrote:
                          > "The the power supply for the RL 1000 dock needs at least 38v dc"
                          >
                          > Unfortunately I do not have a 36v power supply to compare. What is the
                          > reason it requires 36 or 38 volts? With the 24v battery charger it it
                          > charging the pack to 26.5v, 13.25/battery. Everything else regarding the
                          > dock and signal wire works fine.
                          >

                          > On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM, bkelley9401
                          > <neverheardofhim@...>wrote:
                          >

                          >> The the power supply for the RL 1000 dock needs at least 38v dc. You need
                          >> 36v dc at the contacts.
                          >> I don't have an RL 1000 to play with, but does the RL 1000 work as it
                          >> should if the battery is fully charged and the horns (charging contacts)
                          >> taped over when in the docking station? If the 5a charging fuse is pulled
                          >> and the battery is fully charged will the RL 1000 work as it should? If the
                          >> 5a charging fuse is pulled and the battey hooked to the after market charger
                          >> does the RL 1000 work as it should? If you have a yes to any of these their
                          >> should be a work round.
                          >> Remember their is no more important safety rule than to let someone else do
                          >> it for you, you will have someone to blame when it fails.
                          >>
                          >> --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>, Ben <benj@...>
                          >> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> I picked up a 24v scooter battery charger on Amazon. I've only been using
                          >>>
                          >> it
                          >>
                          >>> a few weeks, the grass hasn't started growing much and my batteries are
                          >>>
                          >> all
                          >>
                          >>> old. I just ordered a new set of batteries.
                          >>>
                          >>> 24V 2A Scooter battery Charger with XLR connector
                          >>>
                          >>> It seems to work fine. I like the fact that it lowers the current output

                          >>> a trickle when the battery is charged.
                          >>>
                          >>> Has anyone else had experience using a 24v charger on the robomower with
                          >>> dock?
                          >>>
                          >>> -ben

                        • bkelley9401
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 4, 2010
                            Just stating what I saw printed. I doubt I miss read it.

                            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

                            > I doubt it requires 38v. The supply may provide 38v, but I doubt it's
                            > needed. A charger will need some headroom, but the highest an SLA batt
                            > should be is about 14.4v, or 28.8v total (and that's for a fast
                            > charge). A charger MIGHT need 2 or 3 volts of headroom. In many cases
                            > though it can be much less.
                            >
                            > Your standard "wall wart" unregulated transformer is rated for a certain
                            > voltage AT a certain load. But open-circuit or lightly loaded, the
                            > voltage is much higher. It drops significantly by the time it gets to
                            > full load. So where did this number come from? The unloaded voltage?
                            >
                            > Danny
                            >
                            > Ben wrote:
                            > > "The the power supply for the RL 1000 dock needs at least 38v dc"
                            > >
                            > > Unfortunately I do not have a 36v power supply to compare. What is the
                            > > reason it requires 36 or 38 volts? With the 24v battery charger it it
                            > > charging the pack to 26.5v, 13.25/battery. Everything else regarding the
                            > > dock and signal wire works fine.
                            > >

                            > > On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM, bkelley9401
                            > > <neverheardofhim@...>wrote:
                            > >

                            > >> The the power supply for the RL 1000 dock needs at least 38v dc. You need
                            > >> 36v dc at the contacts.
                            > >> I don't have an RL 1000 to play with, but does the RL 1000 work as it
                            > >> should if the battery is fully charged and the horns (charging contacts)
                            > >> taped over when in the docking station? If the 5a charging fuse is pulled
                            > >> and the battery is fully charged will the RL 1000 work as it should? If the
                            > >> 5a charging fuse is pulled and the battey hooked to the after market charger
                            > >> does the RL 1000 work as it should? If you have a yes to any of these their
                            > >> should be a work round.
                            > >> Remember their is no more important safety rule than to let someone else do
                            > >> it for you, you will have someone to blame when it fails.
                            > >>
                            > >> --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>, Ben <benj@>

                            > >> it

                            > >> all

                          • bkelley9401
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 4, 2010
                              Ben charging the battery directly with the 24v charger works.

                              The RL1000 with dock needs 38v power supply different than a battery charger. If you don't use a dock the 32v power will work.
                              As to why you need a 38v power supply and the contact points (horns) on the mower need to be 36v you will have to ask Fiendly Robotics.