Fast/rapid Charger specs and questions.

  • kitno10
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
      i,

      I finally received my UB12220 battery so now I have 2 sets.

      I now don't want to ruin my brand-new battery but I need an fast
      charger like the one Friendly Robotics sells.

      The only thing is here in Europe they cost $275 so I am looking for
      another way. I bought one in the US via E-bay but my other battery
      started to "hiss" so I was cooking it. I presume the charger was faulty.

      I have the "Robomow battery connector" I just need to connect another
      charger to it.

      What are the spec's I need to safely charge my battery without damaging
      it.

      The info I got from the faulty one was:

      Model : LC-2145A
      INPUT: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz
      INPUT: POWER:57W(MAX)
      OUTPUT: DC24V/2.0A

      So I guess I need a 24V/2.0A charger.

      Am I correct in this assumption?

      Thanks for your input.

      Jan
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
        Someone with more battery experience can give a better answer, but I use a
        4 amp charger and that's a safe bet. Yes, use a 24 volt charger for the
        battery pack, or a 12 volt charger for the individual battery (the actual
        voltage on the battery will not be 24 or 12 volts, that's just the charger
        nominal voltage).

        I know anything between 1 and 4 amps is fine. I think you can go as high
        as 7 amps based on the battery specs but I'm going from memory on that (I
        didn't look it up). If you have the spec sheet you can check there or
        someone else here may have that info.

        If you've got a charger that cooks batteries I'd get rid of it or get it
        fixed. Cooking batteries is pretty expensive!

        Dan

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 12, 2008
          Thanks Dan,

          I am looking at these 2 chargers.

          These are their spec sheets:

          http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/250000-274999/250192-
          da-01-en-AUTOMATIK_BLEILADER_24V_5A.pdf

          http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/250000-274999/250239-
          da-01-ml-Bleiakku-Steckerlader_ALCS_2-24A_de-en.pdf

          The first one is more expensive and goes up to 5A. The second one is
          well priced and goes max 3A.

          What would you recommend?

          And how can I see the speed of the charging. The Robomow charger does
          the job in 6 hours.

          Thanks for your help.

          Jan

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Barclay" <Dan@...> wrote:

          > Someone with more battery experience can give a better answer, but
          I use a
          > 4 amp charger and that's a safe bet. Yes, use a 24 volt charger
          for the
          > battery pack, or a 12 volt charger for the individual battery (the
          actual
          > voltage on the battery will not be 24 or 12 volts, that's just the
          charger
          > nominal voltage).
          >

          > I know anything between 1 and 4 amps is fine. I think you can go
          as high
          > as 7 amps based on the battery specs but I'm going from memory on
          that (I
          > didn't look it up). If you have the spec sheet you can check there
          or
          > someone else here may have that info.
          >

          > If you've got a charger that cooks batteries I'd get rid of it or
          get it
          > fixed. Cooking batteries is pretty expensive!
          >

          > Dan

          On Behalf
          > Of kitno10
          > Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 10:10 AM
          > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [RoboMower] Fast/rapid Charger specs and questions.
          >

          > i,
          >
          > I finally received my UB12220 battery so now I have 2 sets.
          >
          > I now don't want to ruin my brand-new battery but I need an fast
          > charger like the one Friendly Robotics sells.
          >
          > The only thing is here in Europe they cost $275 so I am looking for
          > another way. I bought one in the US via E-bay but my other battery
          > started to "hiss" so I was cooking it. I presume the charger was
          faulty.

          > I have the "Robomow battery connector" I just need to connect
          another
          > charger to it.
          >
          > What are the spec's I need to safely charge my battery without
          damaging
          > it.
          >
          > The info I got from the faulty one was:
          >
          > Model : LC-2145A
          > INPUT: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz
          > INPUT: POWER:57W(MAX)
          > OUTPUT: DC24V/2.0A
          >
          > So I guess I need a 24V/2.0A charger.
          >
          > Am I correct in this assumption?
          >
          > Thanks for your input.
          >
          > Jan

        • Visti Juncher
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 12, 2008
            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "kitno10" <jan.pirard@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Dan,
            >
            > I am looking at these 2 chargers.
            >
            > These are their spec sheets:
            >
            > http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/250000-
            274999/250192-
            > da-01-en-AUTOMATIK_BLEILADER_24V_5A.pdf
            >
            > http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/250000-
            274999/250239-
            > da-01-ml-Bleiakku-Steckerlader_ALCS_2-24A_de-en.pdf
            >

            > The first one is more expensive and goes up to 5A. The second one
            is
            > well priced and goes max 3A.
            >
            > What would you recommend?
            >
            > And how can I see the speed of the charging. The Robomow charger
            does
            > the job in 6 hours.
            >

            > Thanks for your help.
            >
            > Jan

            Second link shows a 300mA charger.
            The last 1/2 or so Ah takes forever and is independent of charging
            with 100mA or 10A. It is a matter of how fast the battery can absorb
            the energy at a fixed voltage.
            Look at http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QHuhSJqvBXQQCX_3pSDfl-BiV_-
            fQuEAX-U2TPnstB1daz7zhW1n-
            gp83DnENhCsBR7zN14IUupr_lu41lRvTfZPkhmDIgMZqbk0pSM/RL1000%
            20charging.GIF

            The point I reach after 9 hours you will reach after 2 (5A). The rest
            of the curve will be more or less identical.
          • kitno10
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 13, 2008
              Thanks Visti.

              What about the first one?

              http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/250000-274999/250192-
              da-01-en-AUTOMATIK_BLEILADER_24V_5A.pdf

              tx

              Jan

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Visti Juncher"

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 13, 2008
                It sounds okay. Price seems reasonable, but that is not unexpected when
                dealing with Conrad.
              • Visti Juncher
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 14, 2008
                  Cheaper solution, Two of these.

                  http://www1.conrad.de/scripts/wgate/zcop_b2c/~flN0YXRlPTIyODM4OTM2NjE=?
                  ~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&direkt_aufriss_area=SHOP_B2C_AccuBatteries
                • kitno10
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 14, 2008
                    wrote:

                    > Cheaper solution, Two of these.

                    http://www1.conrad.de/scripts/wgate/zcop_b2c/~flN0YXRlPTIyODM4OTM2NjE=?

                    ~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&direkt_aufriss_area=SHOP_B2C_AccuBatteries

                    Thanks, but the script or sessionis expired.

                    Can you send me the item number of the type and description?

                    tx
                  • Visti Juncher
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 18, 2008
                      Art.-Nr.: 200338 - 62
                      12V 4A.

                      ?

                      ~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&direkt_aufriss_area=SHOP_B2C_AccuBatterie

                      > Thanks, but the script or sessionis expired.
                      >
                      > Can you send me the item number of the type and description?
                      >
                      > tx

                    • Frans
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 17 10:32 PM
                        On the battery pack there is a white nylon socket for connecting an external charger. I just discovered this after owning Robomowers for several years. It is located on the contacts surface of the battery box, on one side is the fuse, on the other this connector. Inside the box it is wired parallel to the contacts.

                        Does anyone know how the little plug that connects into this socket is called and where you can buy it. It looks similar to the little connectors one finds in computers, but it has a slightly different shape.