Re: Wandering robomower RL1000

  • Seth
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
      I had the same thing happen to me a couple years back. I have the 850
      and on the first mow of it's second season I was watching it go around
      the edge of my lawn, just to make sure everything was ok. It got to
      the corner and "jumped" the line. By shear luck it was close to
      parallel with my street and if I wouldn't have been outside it would
      have been down the road. I too thought this was impossible and thought
      it was a fluke. Lo and behold, a week later it jumped the line again,
      but in another spot of my yard. I contacted the company to let them
      know about the issue and that the mower would stay in the mowing mode
      if it got over the line. They were interested, but they asked me for
      detailed diagrams and measurments of my yard and I got the feeling
      they thought I was making this up. At that point, I decided I didn't
      want to put in the effort to prove my case. After those two incidents
      I never had another problem and I'm still a little dumdfounded about
      what happened.

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "ben_sfg" <benj@...> wrote:

      > I thought this was basically impossible... last night Timmy (my
      > RL1000) wandered past the perimeter wire and into my wifes garden only
      > to get tangled in vegetation and stuck in the mulch. Luckily did not
      > cause any real damage.
      >
      > I've also had some issues with the mower stopping on the perimeter
      > wire about 10 feet from the charging station.
      >
      > I haven't changed anything with the perimeter in 2 years. Any ideas?

    • Bob and Barbara
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
        No, It's not impossible as a couple of us on here have experienced
        that same thing.. My RL 1000 (Burgundy) did the same thing a couple
        years ago and ended up bouncing back and forth between 2 trees in the
        woods before coming to rest against the chain link fence. The display
        said "Blocked path"
        Your first issue can get quite involved.

        Your second issue could be that you have a hairline break in the wire
        at that 10' out position that is made up until the weight of Robos
        front wheel hits it then it opens the circuit. If you used Friendlys
        thin wire a stone there could be enough to smash it or break it over
        time by the front wheel bouncing up and down on it every time around.

        Going back to your first issue which could be related. I have found
        that RL1000s do not respond immediately to a lost wire signal but
        will travel several more feet before shutting down. I have seen this
        during hot summer months where you get a momentary power outage for a
        couple seconds before the power line "re-closer" closes. Your lights
        go out, AC stops running.
        When that happened the first time, I thought I'd have to go out and
        restart Robo but he was still merrily mowing. There is some
        capacitance built into the docking station power supply, but not
        enough to keep the perimeter signal going.
        The RL1000s also have a feature built in that if you lose power for
        a length of time, robo will back out of the docking station a foot or
        so and sit there until power is restored. Then robo will
        automatically fire back up on it's own and re-dock. Nice feature.
        I think that there may be some sort of glitch in the lines of code
        or on board sensors pertaining to loss of wire signal.

        I just went through a harrowing spring with Burgundy that had me,
        Steve, and Matt picking our brains while swapping out parts between
        Burgundy and Gold. Thank God for 2 RL1000s!
        The culprit a bad perimeter board in the docking station with an
        intermittent problem.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
          Ben, Just another thought... Do you have "Edge to Dock" turned on?
          That fixes a lot of problems. That will keep him from shutting down
          until he actually gets back to the docking station, front wheel drops
          and is charging. Provided he has a perimeter wire signal.

          What kind of flowers or vegetation is your wife growing? Maybe he's
          been secretly watching the Home Garden Channel like someones "Robie"
          Robo was a couple years ago and has taken a liking to her plants?
          Ya never know...

          Bob