Overcharging my battery with the external charger?

  • kitno10
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
      Hi,

      I bought trough ebay a batterypack charger for the Robomower.

      I connected it and its charging my pack now for about 3 hours.

      The battery is a Fullriver DC17-12 where the initial charging current
      is 3.5A or smaller.

      Cycle = 14.5-14.9v
      Float = 13.6-13.8v

      Now the pack is making "hissing" sounds, almost if there is water
      boiling inside the pack.

      I am now wondering if I am not overcharging the battery?

      The output of the charger is 24v / 2A.

      Is this normal?

      Thanks,

      Jan
    • dannym@austin.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
        No hissing/bubbling is BAD. I had that happen once with a defective set of batts, in fact it was accompanied by acid leaking through the battery terminals.

        It's possible that the charger is bad, but more likely the battery is bad IMHO.

        IIRC I think if you listen with a stethoscope, you can sometimes hear slight crackling at full charge. But the only time I noticed the bubbling sound in a quiet room was with those bad batts.

        Danny

        ---- kitno10 <jan.pirard@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I bought trough ebay a batterypack charger for the Robomower.
        >
        > I connected it and its charging my pack now for about 3 hours.
        >
        > The battery is a Fullriver DC17-12 where the initial charging current
        > is 3.5A or smaller.
        >
        > Cycle = 14.5-14.9v
        > Float = 13.6-13.8v
        >
        > Now the pack is making "hissing" sounds, almost if there is water
        > boiling inside the pack.
        >
        > I am now wondering if I am not overcharging the battery?
        >
        > The output of the charger is 24v / 2A.
        >
        > Is this normal?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jan

      • Bob and Barbara
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
          It sounds like you are cooking the batteries... That hissing sound is
          coming from the automatic venting valve of the battery releasing
          pressure. I'd be very careful...!!

          Many chargers will charge at a certain amperage (ie: 2A) but will
          continue to charge at that rate and not automatically shut off once
          the battery is at full charge. Therefore overcharging. I think that
          may be your case.
          If so it would be up to you to monitor the batteries voltage as they
          are being charged and adjust the charge time accordingly. A pain in
          the tush!! if you ask me.

          I have a FR Fast charger that I've used for years for my spare
          battery packs that charge up to full charge then shut down. I can
          leave it hooked up and it will only charge if the battery needs it.

          I hope you see and read this in time as your new batteries may
          already be toast!

          JMHO,
          Bob

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "kitno10" <jan.pirard@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I bought trough ebay a batterypack charger for the Robomower.
          >
          > I connected it and its charging my pack now for about 3 hours.
          >
          > The battery is a Fullriver DC17-12 where the initial charging
          current
          > is 3.5A or smaller.
          >
          > Cycle = 14.5-14.9v
          > Float = 13.6-13.8v
          >
          > Now the pack is making "hissing" sounds, almost if there is water
          > boiling inside the pack.
          >
          > I am now wondering if I am not overcharging the battery?
          >
          > The output of the charger is 24v / 2A.
          >
          > Is this normal?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Jan

        • kitno10
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
            Hi Danny,

            You write :

            NO hissing/bubling is BAD.

            So you mean that there is no problem with it?

            tx

            Jan

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, <dannym@...> wrote:

            > No hissing/bubbling is BAD. I had that happen once with a
            defective set of batts, in fact it was accompanied by acid leaking
            through the battery terminals.

            > It's possible that the charger is bad, but more likely the battery
            is bad IMHO.

            > IIRC I think if you listen with a stethoscope, you can sometimes
            hear slight crackling at full charge. But the only time I noticed
            the bubbling sound in a quiet room was with those bad batts.

            > Danny
            >
            > ---- kitno10 <jan.pirard@...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I bought trough ebay a batterypack charger for the Robomower.
            > >
            > > I connected it and its charging my pack now for about 3 hours.
            > >
            > > The battery is a Fullriver DC17-12 where the initial charging
            current
            > > is 3.5A or smaller.
            > >
            > > Cycle = 14.5-14.9v
            > > Float = 13.6-13.8v
            > >
            > > Now the pack is making "hissing" sounds, almost if there is water
            > > boiling inside the pack.
            > >
            > > I am now wondering if I am not overcharging the battery?
            > >
            > > The output of the charger is 24v / 2A.
            > >
            > > Is this normal?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Jan

          • Bob and Barbara
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
              Jan, What he meant was "NO" that is not normal... And
              hissing/bubbling is BAD.

              You have a problem.