Accepting new technology - Segway - Roomba - Robomower

  • toolman_d
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2008
      Dean Kamen (maker of Segway) talks about his new developments (a
      mechanical prosthetic arm) and he makes a comment that rings true for
      what we've seen for the robomower (and Roomba as well).
      That people aren't embracing new technology as fast as it is being
      developed because they are used to the status quo and fear
      the 'unknown' --- change...

      http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/22574/Dean-Kamen-Creator-
      of-Segway-Unveils-New-Invention?tickers=

      Even if it is a great invention and it solves a human problem it isn't
      automatically swept up and embraced by society.

      Out of all the people I've talked with or tried to convince to get a
      Robomower --- neighbors, friends, co-workers, business associates ---
      no one has. One guy I work with did buy a Roomba after I raved about
      new version.

      What is the switch that makes people go from 'yeah that's cool' to 'I
      have to have one...'? Do they think it's too much trouble to maintain?
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2008
        The "switch" is time and "experience".

        People are *rightly* reluctant to adopt new technology. Every new critter
        that comes along is marketed before it is really solid, and that's just
        life. It will not ever be any other way.

        "Early adopters" (like some of us) fight problems that Joe Public doesn't
        have any interest in fighting. That is true for almost any new technology.

        The reason I use Robomowers is not just to cut my grass, but to keep my
        grass cut while giving me some privacy. My back yard is actually part of my
        house. Given all the glass on the back of my house, if you're in the back
        yard you might as well be in the house. As a result I don't want yard
        people working there for a couple of hours every week.

        In addition to having more than a "mow the grass automatically" reason, I'm
        a software developer who was formerly an instrumentation and control systems
        engineer and engineering manager. that is, I'm use to dealing with systems
        like this.

        As these mowers become more foolproof, and less expensive, we'll see more
        people installing them. However, it will be slow. Your neighbor probably
        won't jump on it until it's *boring* and *normal* on your lawn. He's not
        looking for excitement, he's got other things he's interested in.

        Dan

        _____