Re: [RoboMower] counterfeit RL800?

  • Matt Cooper
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2008
      I am very sure the speech sound "bites" are inherently in the controller chip. Look at the yahoo files section for AutoMate Tools and there are instructions on how to find out what software is on your main board (the instructions are for finding software versions on the RL5X0 series... but it may also work for the RL800. Call me if you have problems finding it.

      Even if it is not an 800.... I have a chip upgrade that will help a 500 have the acceleration capacity and similar function to the 800... You may ask others who have received this 3.2a upgrade I have sent them.... I imagine you have the knobby tires and the 3.2a chip takes advantage of the knobby tires' better traction. The RL500 required a more benign acceleration due to the smooth tires that most of the RL500's originally had.

      Matt Cooper, Owner of AutoMate Tools
      Friendly Robotics Authorized Sales and Service,
      New RL and RM Robomowers & Durable Greenhouses
      Service specializing repairs and complete/partial upgrades*
      (Software, circuit boards, gear case upgrades, etc - a full service company)Phone # (214) 538-0409, Located at Mesquite, Texas - Serving all USA and Canada.

      *Increasing the acceleration/speed performance of RL500's and other RL model improvements.

      Robomower demonstrations for the Dallas/Fort Worth Area and elsewhere when possible.

    • wild_bill_howell
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2008
        Scroll thru the menu....
        if you have a security/lockout feature....
        then you have the real deal.

        WB

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Joseph & Julie Karaisz

        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2008
          Susie,

          I have 4 RL1000's and they all have RL500 on the bottom. That part is
          apparently common with all the RL mowers so they just use the same mold.
          I'm sure that if they were thinking ahead they would have put just a part
          number, instead of the model number, on the mold.

          I don't know about speaking.

          Dan

          _____

          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2008
            Susie,

            > 1) The bottom of the robomower has RL500 engraved
            > (toward the rear of the mower)

            I have both an RL500 and an RL800 (which I will be selling
            soon on eBay). The shells on the two are identical, but the
            RL800 has a few more decals on the top.

            > 2) The included ruler is for RL500

            Both of mine came with the identical rulers.

            > 3) The mower speaks! I believe I read somewhere that
            > the RL500 is the only model that has this male voice.

            Both of mine speak quite a lot. It really gets noisey if I
            lose power during a storm and they are both demanding to be
            plugged in! :-)

            BTW, the RL500 still holds a good charge on its original
            batteries (they just don't make them like that anymore).
            The newer RL800 definitely needs new batteries.

            Trent
          • dannym@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2008
              Nope. "Sound bites" are stored in a non-reprogrammable EPROM inside the hand controller. Main board software commands the hand contoller to read them out, that's all.

              Danny

              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2008
                Danny, Now I get it... I should have clarified my statements "find out what eprom software is on your main board" and "I have a main board eprom chip upgrade that will help a 500...." I should not have left those semantics out when I expect good proof readers like you to be watching... :o)

                Thanks,

                Matt

                Message 7 of 10 , May 5, 2008
                  Danny ,

                  Thanks for your added info... you definitely know the eprom designations more than me... I discovered exactly what you are saying when two years ago I swapped a different controller eprom from an older version controller on to a newer controller. I definitly noticed that the soundbites changed. That removable language hand controller eprom is the feature that allowed them to use the Robomower with other languages on the older controllers... while keeping the controller board standard with a removable eprom mount.

                  Unless you want to mention more offline I think I have exausted this thread and have inundated you and the rest of the group

                  Matt

                  dannym@... wrote:
                  Sound bites are located in a 2megabit AT27C020 EPROM inside the hand controller. It is OTP (One Time Programming), meaning it is burned in once at the factory and can never be reprogrammed either- however, it is in a socket and could theoretically be replaced during an upgrade. The AT27C020 is not a controller chip just memory, the hand controller also has a small controller chip on-board but it relies on the AT27C020 for the large memory space needed to record sound bites.

                  Upgrades of the Robomower's main board version cannot change the available sound bites in the hand controller because the sound bites are not stored on the main board. The main board can potentially send out the command to play the "boing" sound at a different time, or not at all, however.

                  Danny

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 11, 2009
                    Soundbites are recorded on an EPROM that is accessed by the hand
                    controller's controller chip. The main board's chip inside the mower
                    may request that sounds be called, but it doesn't store the sounds
                    themselves. So an upgrade to the software inside the mower's main board
                    alone cannot change the soundbites, unless they were always stored on
                    that EPROM but hadn't been used before.

                    In fact the EPROM is a One-Time-Programming chip. That means that it's
                    physically impossible to reprogram it, it has to be replaced. AFAIK the
                    Friendly upgrades to the main board are upgraded by physically swapping
                    chips too, but that's their choice, they didn't want to release the code
                    alone to burn onto the chip because then they'd lose custody of this
                    company secret.

                    Danny