Re: [RoboMower] 16 Gauge Wire (perimeter) - Where to buy?

  • stuarth44@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
      Why not use 14 gauge wire instead? Thicker wire will be more durable.

      Stuart

      In a message dated 3/17/2008 10:58:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      bsporl@... writes:

      Does anyone have suggestions where to buy 16 gauge wire? I was at Home Depot
      the other day and they carry everything but solid core 16 gauge wire.

      I want to re-run my perimeter wire and I thought bulk wiring would be
      cheaper than buying name brand Robomower wire.

    • Ben Sporl
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
        I thought original robomower wire is 16 gauge?

        It doesn't matter to me, as long as it works. I'm assuming you use 14 gauge and it works just fine. I'll check it out next time I'm at the hardware store.

        Thanks....

        bsporl@yahoo. com writes:

        Does anyone have suggestions where to buy 16 gauge wire? I was at Home Depot
        the other day and they carry everything but solid core 16 gauge wire.

        I want to re-run my perimeter wire and I thought bulk wiring would be
        cheaper than buying name brand Robomower wire.

        ************ **It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money &
        Finance. (http://money. aol.com/tax? NCID=aolprf00030 000000001)

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-reco {
        margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
        #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
        font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

        #reco-grpname{
        font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
        #reco-category{
        font-size:77%;}
        #reco-desc{
        font-size:77%;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
          In my opinion the 16 ga wire shouldn't have any longevity problems.

          Wire trouble will usually come with corrosion, not physical damage to the
          wire. The best thing people can do is make sure the insulation stays
          unscratched and that connectors are well protected.

          Dan

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 17, 2008
              My thinking is that if the insulation does get damaged, 14 gauge wire is
              thicker, so corrosion will be less of a problem. I've found that it's pretty
              easy to nick the insulation on the wire that comes with the RoboMower.

              Stuart

              In a message dated 3/17/2008 2:15:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              Dan@... writes:

              In my opinion the 16 ga wire shouldn't have any longevity problems.

              Wire trouble will usually come with corrosion, not physical damage to the
              wire. The best thing people can do is make sure the insulation stays
              unscratched and that connectors are well protected.

            • mackenziema
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 18, 2008
                I purchased a 500' spool of green 16 gauge solid core wire from Home
                Depot last season. It works great. Someone asked if you could use 14
                gauge. Definitely, but it's harder to work with and costs more, but
                will have even less resistance.

                Home Depot might be able to order it for you, or try Lowes.

                I was also able to find the silicone filled wire nuts at HD.

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone have suggestions where to buy 16 gauge wire? I was at
                Home Depot the other day and they carry everything but solid core 16
                gauge wire.

                > I want to re-run my perimeter wire and I thought bulk wiring would
                be cheaper than buying name brand Robomower wire.
              • Bob and Barbara
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 18, 2008
                  I was an electrical contractor for 26 years..Retired now.
                  When putting in my perimeter wire I used green solid 14 gauge THHN
                  or THWN wire. Those types of wire have 2 layers of insulation, a
                  color layer and a clear almost indestructable layer that can
                  withstand oil/grease, moisture, sunlight and the elements.
                  It is available at Lowes and Home Depot, but you may want to check
                  your phonebook for an electrical supply house because in most cases
                  its cheaper there. Even if your not a contactor, they may still give
                  you a discount under their lower price. When I bought mine a few
                  years ago, it was about $14.00 a 500 ft roll. I needed several
                  thousand feet of wire.

                  Also that 14 guage wire is a lot more durable than Robos or any 16
                  guage. We found that out when we forgot about a wire going across the
                  lawn when the tractor pulled de-thacher snagged it. It strained the
                  wire and stretched it about 3 feet but did not break it. Robos or 16
                  gauge would have broken in a couple places and require splices.
                  All I did with the now 3' plus lenght was pulled the slack back to
                  the nearest corner and layed it on top of the existing wire. No
                  problems and no splices.

                  A few cents saved may not be the best benefit!

                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 18, 2008
                    Thanks for posting that. I'm about to redo one of my zones and I thought
                    using 14 gauge wire would be a good idea. Your post confirmed what I thought.

                    Stuart

                    In a message dated 3/18/2008 4:28:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    eventtravelers@... writes:

                    Also that 14 guage wire is a lot more durable than Robos or any 16
                    guage. We found that out when we forgot about a wire going across the
                    lawn when the tractor pulled de-thacher snagged it.

                    Home.

                  • IggyKC@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 18, 2008
                      I have 14 guage wire in my house and wired it once and rewired it after. Teh
                      durable wire is a breeze, it lays down well and yes it is much more durable
                      - I could pull it out of the sod after watering the grass or was it rain????
                      (don't remember getting old). Original RM wire would have broken every time
                      a plastic peg gets stuck in the sod. 14 gaughe just pulled the peg and no
                      problem.

                      On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM, <stuarth44@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for posting that. I'm about to redo one of my zones and I thought
                      > using 14 gauge wire would be a good idea. Your post confirmed what I
                      > thought.
                      >
                      > Stuart
                      >
                      > In a message dated 3/18/2008 4:28:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > eventtravelers@... <eventtravelers%40aol.com> writes:
                      >
                      > Also that 14 guage wire is a lot more durable than Robos or any 16
                      > guage. We found that out when we forgot about a wire going across the
                      > lawn when the tractor pulled de-thacher snagged it.
                      >
                      > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL
                      > Home.
                      > (
                      > http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001
                      > )

                    • mackenziema
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 21, 2008
                        I was rerouting some of the work done last year, and I checked the
                        wire I had used. It's 14 gauge rather than 16 gauge as I had said,
                        and it was easier to work with than the original wire because it's
                        stronger. I could pull the stakes out of wet ground just using the
                        wire, and it wasn't damaged.

                        B.t.w I used a combination of robomower green stakes and landscape
                        fabric staples from Home Depot. They are much cheaper and work as well.

                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mackenziema" <mackenziema@...> wrote:

                        > I purchased a 500' spool of green 16 gauge solid core wire from Home
                        > Depot last season. It works great. Someone asked if you could use 14
                        > gauge. Definitely, but it's harder to work with and costs more, but
                        > will have even less resistance.
                        >
                        > Home Depot might be able to order it for you, or try Lowes.
                        >
                        > I was also able to find the silicone filled wire nuts at HD.
                        >
                        > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Does anyone have suggestions where to buy 16 gauge wire? I was at
                        > Home Depot the other day and they carry everything but solid core 16
                        > gauge wire.
                        > >
                        > > I want to re-run my perimeter wire and I thought bulk wiring would
                        > be cheaper than buying name brand Robomower wire.

                      • beekilher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 22, 2008
                          It's not green but it is 16ga for about $54 shipped.
                          http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Direct-Burial-Wire-s/138.htm
                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@...> wrote:

                          > I thought original robomower wire is 16 gauge?
                          >
                          > It doesn't matter to me, as long as it works. I'm assuming you use
                          14 gauge and it works just fine. I'll check it out next time I'm at
                          the hardware store.

                          > Thanks....

                          align:right;padding-right:.5em;}