Re: Roboruler

  • Gene
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 14, 2008
      I agree with what Dan wrote. Here are the measurements anyway. A
      stake or peg is 5 1/2 inches. The ruler has two marks. The "full"
      mark is at 18 inches and it is the distance between a hard wall and
      the wire. The second mark is the "2/3 full" mark at 12 inches for a
      soft lawn edge.

      Hope this helps,
      Gene
      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Barclay" <Dan@...> wrote:

      > The measured distance in stake lengths is from the "edge"
      (sidewalk, flower
      > bed, or wall) to the wire.
      >

      > By the way, if you're not already aware, the mower will not track
      exactly
      > the same place each time. That's why on "hard edges" there will
      always be
      > an unmowed area of a few inches. If you place the wire as I
      suggested
      > then you shouldn't have any unmowed grass except with the hard
      edges.

      > Dan

      On Behalf
      > Of Woods Jerry
      > Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 5:39 PM
      > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [RoboMower] Roboruler
      >

      > Thanks, just to verify, this if from the side of the mower where
      the bumper
      > is most lateral to the chasis?
      >
      > Dan Barclay <Dan@... <mailto:Dan%40BarclaySoftware.com> >
      > wrote: Jerry,
      >
      > I don't use the roboruler. I use the 1-2-3 stake rule.
      >
      > There are three kinds of edges. "sidewalk" type where the mower
      should
      > overlap the walk, "soft bed" edges where it's OK for the mower to
      put a
      > wheel on the edge of the bed, and "hard" edges like walls or
      landscape
      > rocks.
      >
      > 1 stake length for sidewalk
      >
      > 2 stake lengths for soft beds
      >
      > 3 stake lengths for hard edges
      >
      > You need to experiment some on corners if you haven't set up a
      mower before.

      > In answer to your specific question, I don't have a roboruler handy
      but
      > someone may be able to give you the measurements.
      >
      > Dan
      >
      > From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>
      > [mailto:RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%
      40yahoogroups.com> ] On
      > Behalf
      > Of jerrywoodsi
      > Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 5:07 PM
      > To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [RoboMower] Roboruler
      >
      > Can anyone tell me the two measurements which are on a roboruler? i
      am
      > buying a used robomower and this item is missing. Inches or
      > centimeters will work. Thanks.

    • Woods Jerry
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 15, 2008
        Will be setting up some wire from Lowe's this week. Will have the mower by next weekend, will let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks for the help thus far, I am sure I will be a regular here.

        Gene <gaharv00@...> wrote: I agree with what Dan wrote. Here are the measurements anyway. A

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 15, 2008
          I wouldn't nail down the wire too vigorously until you've run the mower
          around the track a time or two. Sometimes you'll want to tweak it a little
          and you can make that hard on yourself if you're not careful.

          Dan

          _____

          Gene <gaharv00@yahoo. <mailto:gaharv00%40yahoo.com> com> wrote: I agree with

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com, "Dan
          Barclay" <Dan@...> wrote:

          > The measured distance in stake lengths is from the "edge"
          (sidewalk, flower
          > bed, or wall) to the wire.
          >

          > By the way, if you're not already aware, the mower will not track
          exactly
          > the same place each time. That's why on "hard edges" there will
          always be
          > an unmowed area of a few inches. If you place the wire as I
          suggested
          > then you shouldn't have any unmowed grass except with the hard
          edges.

          > Dan
          >

          > From: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
          > Thanks, just to verify, this if from the side of the mower where
          the bumper
          > is most lateral to the chasis?
          >
          > Dan Barclay <Dan@... <mailto:Dan%40BarclaySoftware.com> >
          > wrote: Jerry,
          >
          > I don't use the roboruler. I use the 1-2-3 stake rule.
          >
          > There are three kinds of edges. "sidewalk" type where the mower
          should
          > overlap the walk, "soft bed" edges where it's OK for the mower to
          put a
          > wheel on the edge of the bed, and "hard" edges like walls or
          landscape
          > rocks.
          >
          > 1 stake length for sidewalk
          >
          > 2 stake lengths for soft beds
          >
          > 3 stake lengths for hard edges
          >
          > You need to experiment some on corners if you haven't set up a
          mower before.

          > In answer to your specific question, I don't have a roboruler handy
          but
          > someone may be able to give you the measurements.
          >
          > Dan
          >
          > From: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
          <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>
          > [mailto:RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
          <mailto:RoboMower%
          40yahoogroups.com> ] On
          > Behalf
          > Of jerrywoodsi
          > Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 5:07 PM
          > To: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
          <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [RoboMower] Roboruler
          >
          > Can anyone tell me the two measurements which are on a roboruler? i
          am
          > buying a used robomower and this item is missing. Inches or
          > centimeters will work. Thanks.

        • Mike Reed
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 15, 2008
            The wire is the bane of the Robomower, they really need to resolve this and
            work out a better navigation system that allows for easier installation and
            maintenance if they ever want to move into mainstream adoption. As long as
            there is a wire, it will remain a toy for the few.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 15, 2008
              I'm not sure what you'd use that would be more simple. GPS or other
              electronic navigation certainly aren't good to the "inches" range.

              Do you have something in mind? Is someone else using something better?

              I don't think the wire is all that difficult to set up.

              _____

              From: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com

                From: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
                  Actually with the right setup GPS can be accurate to within inches. The best results require a local reference GPS station or a reference starting point. This equipment is available, not really cheap but not really expensive either. It requires some fairly advanced software methods to get much greater- than-typical accuracy.

                  I've been having some ideas about such a setup, with open-source software in a language readily reprogrammable for different situations. Just getting rid of the "stuck on stupid" errors is motivation enough.

                  A GPS system would be vastly more efficient. Instead of letting it mow the same areas over and over while waiting for it to hit the last few untouched areas, it could do it all in one organized pass. This greatly increases what can be accomplished on a charge. It could have one charger base station and a very large area, and always come back to where it left off and resume the job from there.

                  There's still a lot of questions about the viability. High accuracy GPS does have reliability issues. When under trees or near a building we have something called multipath error where it receives one or more reflected signals that took a slightly longer path to get there thus it is delayed. There are some software techniques to reduce or avoid multipath errors as well but I don't know much about them.

                  Danny

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
                    Yes, you can get better accuracy with a local reference. I dismiss that for
                    mowers (at least for now) because of the cost and complexity. Compared to
                    laying a perimeter wire there is no contest<g>. But you clearly know that.

                    If you could get GPS positioning it would open up a whole lot of more
                    efficient methods, to be sure.

                    It will only become viable when a dedicated chipset, produced in consumer
                    volumes, hits the market. That will only happen when there is a high volume
                    consumer application. Today I know of some applications in surveying and
                    construction. there are some in agriculture though the accuracy
                    (repeatability actually) isn't quite as demanding as it would be for a
                    mower.

                    Dan

                    _____

                    Actually with the right setup GPS can be accurate to within inches. The best
                    results require a local reference GPS station or a reference starting point.
                    This equipment is available, not really cheap but not really expensive
                    either. It requires some fairly advanced software methods to get much
                    greater- than-typical accuracy.

                    I've been having some ideas about such a setup, with open-source software in
                    a language readily reprogrammable for different situations. Just getting rid
                    of the "stuck on stupid" errors is motivation enough.

                    A GPS system would be vastly more efficient. Instead of letting it mow the
                    same areas over and over while waiting for it to hit the last few untouched
                    areas, it could do it all in one organized pass. This greatly increases what
                    can be accomplished on a charge. It could have one charger base station and
                    a very large area, and always come back to where it left off and resume the
                    job from there.

                    There's still a lot of questions about the viability. High accuracy GPS does
                    have reliability issues. When under trees or near a building we have
                    something called multipath error where it receives one or more reflected
                    signals that took a slightly longer path to get there thus it is delayed.
                    There are some software techniques to reduce or avoid multipath errors as
                    well but I don't know much about them.

                    Danny

                    > Dan Barclay <Dan@BarclaySoftware <mailto:Dan%40BarclaySoftware.com> .com>
                    wrote: I'm not sure what you'd use that would be more simple. GPS or other
                    > electronic navigation certainly aren't good to the "inches" range.
                    >
                    > Do you have something in mind? Is someone else using something better?
                    >
                    > I don't think the wire is all that difficult to set up.
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: RoboMower@yahoogrou <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
                    > The wire is the bane of the Robomower, they really need to resolve this
                    and
                    > work out a better navigation system that allows for easier installation
                    and
                    > maintenance if they ever want to move into mainstream adoption. As long as
                    > there is a wire, it will remain a toy for the few.

                  • Bob and Barbara
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 18, 2008
                      I also used the 1-2-3 stake rule as described. Works great and better
                      than the amount shown on the Roboruler. (Way too much lead way distance
                      on roboruler and more weedwacking to be done)

                      I agree about not nailing down the wire until you do a few test runs
                      around the perimeter. I layed out a stake about every 15 feet or so on
                      straightaways at first and lighty tapped in ground. If the wire was up
                      off the ground due to a slight gulley, I put a stake there to hold it
                      down. Don't worry if Robo bounces a little when going over the stakes
                      during set-up.
                      Tweaking the wire in or out during original set-up will give you the
                      best performance for years to come. Take the time Now to get it as
                      exact as possible from the begining. Keep in mind it is always easier
                      to move the wire towards the inside of the yard than towards the
                      outside.(no slack)... I allowed an extra foot or so at a corner on long
                      runs so I had extra slack if/when needed.
                      After watching and are happy with what you see, then add more stakes
                      as needed. No real number or distance specified. I still have many
                      stakes 15 feet apart. Start at one end, pull the wire Tight and nail
                      down the stakes into the ground flush as you go around the whole yard.
                      It's best if you have one person pulling the wire tight as another
                      person nails down the stakes. Hint: Any slack left over? in the corners
                      bend the wire over each other and stake down. Or you can do the "T"
                      method with the extra wire twisted and buried going away from the
                      perimenter.
                      If you have an area that is Not lawn now(like I did in a couple
                      places) but will be planted in the future, lay out all the wire you
                      will need to encompass that area also then move the wire back to where
                      it is now needed and fold the extra back and forth on top of each
                      other. When you need to add that section just unstake and move the wire
                      out to new area. NO SPLICES!!
                      If it's spring and the grass hasen't grown much take a soft rake and
                      rake the grass in the direction (parallel)to the perimeter wire. The
                      wire will fall down to the ground and once the grass grows, it will be
                      well held in place by the grass.

                      Hope that helps... Any other questions, feel free to ask.
                      I love my Robos Burgundy and Gold!!
                      Bob

                      PS: Last part of set-up, You will need to name your Robo... all of ours
                      have names. Enjoy!!

                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "jerrywoodsi" <jerrywoodsi@...> wrote:

                      > Can anyone tell me the two measurements which are on a roboruler? i
                      am
                      > buying a used robomower and this item is missing. Inches or
                      > centimeters will work. Thanks.

                    • John Benfield
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
                        It's a pretty standard autonomous robot problem. Use GPS when
                        available, inertial tracking when not. Combine that with some optical
                        or ultrasonic ranging for obstacles so that you aren't relying on
                        contact for avoidance. As for GPS accuracy, I've seen high accuracy
                        modules claiming 2cm resolution (though I find that hard to beleive).
                        RKP/RTK allows accuracy better than 10cm (4 inches) which would
                        probably be "good enough" for mowing. (just keep the edges of your
                        flower beds wide :) It's probably not cost effective for a commercial
                        mower, but certainly in the range of experimenters and hobbyists.

                        Some of the things that I've thought about experimenting with:
                        -having a camera watch for color changes and obstacles. (if it's
                        green, it's probably grass. If it's brown or grey, it's probably mulch
                        or sidewalk/driveway).
                        -Using sounders or transmiters on the corners of the lawn and letting
                        the robomower use triangulation for navigation.
                        -Mounting a receiver in the Robomower and having a computer drive it
                        while using a 3rd-person camera to watch where it's located. (dead
                        simple concept that does away with all of the GPS and wire nonsense).
                        Wireless webcams are a dime a dozen and they'd have the added bonus of
                        allowing you to watch your mower.

                        What would be really cool would be if they released a robomower as a
                        development platform with a breadboard, usb programability and open
                        source.

                        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, <dannym@...> wrote:

                        > Actually with the right setup GPS can be accurate to within inches.
                        The best results require a local reference GPS station or a reference
                        starting point. This equipment is available, not really cheap but not
                        really expensive either. It requires some fairly advanced software
                        methods to get much greater- than-typical accuracy.

                        > I've been having some ideas about such a setup, with open-source
                        software in a language readily reprogrammable for different
                        situations. Just getting rid of the "stuck on stupid" errors is
                        motivation enough.

                        > A GPS system would be vastly more efficient. Instead of letting it
                        mow the same areas over and over while waiting for it to hit the last
                        few untouched areas, it could do it all in one organized pass. This
                        greatly increases what can be accomplished on a charge. It could have
                        one charger base station and a very large area, and always come back
                        to where it left off and resume the job from there.

                        > There's still a lot of questions about the viability. High accuracy
                        GPS does have reliability issues. When under trees or near a building
                        we have something called multipath error where it receives one or more
                        reflected signals that took a slightly longer path to get there thus
                        it is delayed. There are some software techniques to reduce or avoid
                        multipath errors as well but I don't know much about them.

                        > Danny
                        >
                        > > Dan Barclay <Dan@...> wrote: I'm not sure what you'd use
                        that would be more simple. GPS or other
                        > > electronic navigation certainly aren't good to the "inches" range.
                        > >
                        > > Do you have something in mind? Is someone else using something better?
                        > >
                        > > I don't think the wire is all that difficult to set up.
                        > >
                        > > _____

                      • vandervoordef
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 23, 2009
                          In the "Cable Tools" Photo Album I put an image of the Roboruler that I found somewhere on the internet.

                          If you view it in Large you can just read what is written in it. For those who like the Metric System:

                          12 inches = 30 centimeters
                          then
                          18 inches = 45 centimeters

                          The step-like structures are for measuring grass-height.

                          "So You Can See the Grass Grow..."

                          Peace,

                          Frans