RE: [RoboMower] Are you in Kansas City? - Read this

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
      I don't know where that rumor came from. It's not an issue so far as I
      know, though I personally would hope that complaints would be kept "civil"
      as opposed to "rants".

      Can you cite where that has been a problem there?

      I personally would hope it would be a place to discuss whatever issues there
      are, without all the BS, ranting, and off topic discussions.

      I'm signed up for a number of product/technology support for a which have
      low message traffic, but when there is traffic it actually means something.
      It's quite refreshing to have meaningful messages sent to you without being
      bombarded with someone's preaching/ranting about this or that.

      Even if the other list "allows" ranting I'd hope those folks would just not
      apply. THIS is a good place for ranting it seems. No need to take that
      anywhere else.

      Dan

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
        No, I don't remember the actual situations. I just remember that some
        messages that seemed harmless were removed. There's a fine line between being
        "civil" and "ranting." I agree that some posts go to far, but on the other
        had, a message group shouldn't be just a "cheer leading" group for a particular
        product. In my experience, companies that try to keep negatives posts off of
        their boards and groups tend to be ones that have something to hide.

        Obviously, we're not going to see eye to eye on this. I do wonder why you
        continue to read the messages from this board if you dislike it so much. It
        seems sort of strange.

        Stuart

        In a message dated 1/7/2008 3:16:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        Dan@... writes:

        I don't know where that rumor came from. It's not an issue so far as I
        know, though I personally would hope that complaints would be kept "civil"
        as opposed to "rants".

        Can you cite where that has been a problem there?

      • mikereedks
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
          I monitor the other group as well. This spring we will know the
          flavor and activity levels for the other group, so far it's all but
          dead.

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Barclay" <Dan@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          >

          > Re: "What happened to this being a Robomower group?"
          >

          > That disappeared long ago. There is another group "Robomow" that
          is a
          > Robomower group, though it is usually pretty quiet. Of course most
          of the
          > noise around here is just noise so.
          >

          > Dan
          >

          > _____

          On Behalf

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
            I guess I didn't see them <shrug>.

            Certainly you can't have meaningful support without discussing issues and
            what can be done to fix them. I don't think the guys that set up the other
            group would disagree with that. I also got the impression that they'd move
            over if somebody reasonable wanted to take on moderation efforts but I'm not
            certain about that.

            I don't have a dog in the hunt myself. I'm not a dealer and I don't have
            any relationship with Robomower.

            I've got Robomower(s) and I've tinkered with them enough to help some folks,
            and I'd like to learn more. In addition I'd like to provide feedback and
            get improvement in some areas, which I've done. I've been active here in
            the past, but no more (except some occasional conversation like this one).

            If you find examples of "over moderation" let me know and I'll be glad to
            join that discussion myself.

            There is also the option of setting up another completely independent (but
            properly moderated) group if you wanted to take that on. I'd prefer that we
            could get one of the two existing groups fixed, but this one has failed
            numerous attempts so it's toast as far as I'm concerned. That leaves only
            "Robomow" so maybe we should find out if it's really broken and, if so, get
            it fixed.

            Dan

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
              Yup, real quiet over there. OK by me. Pretty quiet here as well when you
              remove the "noise" <shrug>.

              I monitor one home automation vendor group that went from the beginning of
              June to nearly the end of November without a post. Then had several
              important/meaningful discussions. Quiet again there now. as it should be if
              there's nothing worth saying.

              Spring should bring on real discussions of mowing. Not much point now for
              most people <vbg>.

              Dan

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dan
              Barclay" <Dan@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mike,
              >

              > Re: "What happened to this being a Robomower group?"
              >

              > That disappeared long ago. There is another group "Robomow" that
              is a
              > Robomower group, though it is usually pretty quiet. Of course most
              of the
              > noise around here is just noise so.
              >

              > Dan
              >

              > _____
              >
              > From: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RoboMower%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Now using the group to advertise your own personal agenda and
              programs? So I
              > guess the rule is we can advertise anything, on any topic here now?
              What
              > happened to this being a Robomower group?

            • doodieb2001
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
                Iggy,

                you are an idiot who destroys this group. At one point of time I
                received valuable technical input on the robomowers now I only get
                meaningless BS. I sign off now.

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, IGGYandSvetlana
                <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote:

                > As you may know, I am an atheist and have been pretty closely
                involved with
                > the thriving freethinking community here in Kansas City. We've got
                quite a
                > variety of groups and interests - check out
                http://www.KCFreeThought.org
                > <http://www.kcfreethought.org/>
                >

                > If you are a religious or non religious person and are in Kansas
                City and
                > would like to participate in a community outreach program, let me
                know.

                > I've been calling local churches in Kansas City to see if they'd be
                > interested to team up with non believers on a community action.
                Many of our
                > members do their own community things - Harvesters' food donation,
                blood
                > drives, dog shelters, gloves and scarves collection, environmental
                causes,
                > literacy programs, etc.
                >

                > Just got a call back on my voicemail from a church in Kansas City
                Kansas.
                > Spoke to a lady there for about 10 minutes about a joint community
                effort -
                > it was a great conversation!
                >

                > On Wednesdays 1-3 p.m. they have a community outreach program with
                primarily
                > elementary kids at a community center in KCK. Says there are
                typically 10-20
                > kids there, they help them out with homework. They also have Friday
                > religious activities for them at their church after school, so I
                did not
                > talk to her about that.
                >

                > I talked to her about freethinking activities here in the area and
                asked her
                > if they'd be interested to have a couple of computers there - she
                was
                > excited about it.
                >

                > The Wed program maybe on this week after the holidays or will
                restart next
                > week again, she said she'll call me and I'll follow up on her
                tomorrow if I
                > don't hear from her. She was not sure about Internet connection, so
                she was
                > going to check on it.
                >

                > These are primarily minority elementary school kids and their
                parents drop
                > them off at the center after school - African American and Latino,
                so they
                > don't have too much and many may not even have computers at home.
                >

                > I have two Win XP laptops that I can bring, one has wireless wi-fi
                but the
                > other one has a problem with the slot, but can be used with
                Ethernet cable
                > no problems. I can set up both of them with a second "Guest"
                account and
                > password and have kids use that account only so this will keep all
                my data
                > intact and since it's automatically backed up anyway, I don't
                really care.

                > I also have a Win 98 desktop sitting in my basement but it has a
                missing
                > hard drive which I put into another Win XP PC that my kids use, I
                was
                > thinking about fixing it as it is a perfectly OK computer - I used
                to run my
                > business on it. If someone has a desktop hard drive lying around
                let me
                > know, I'll have this Win 98 PC up and running and it will be
                perfectly good
                > for kids surfing online, I can install Word, Excel and other
                programs on it
                > for them, should not be a problem. I don't have a problem to give
                it to the
                > community center but it maybe a bit outdated for them, for
                activities like
                > this for a couple of hours it should be OK.
                >

                > If someone here on this blog is interested to participate and if
                they have a
                > laptop or desktop they want to bring and help kids with homework
                and play or
                > donate a computer to this effort that maybe older but otherwise
                still
                > running let me know.
                >

                > I am quite good with computers, I can reload Windows if you have a
                CD that
                > came with it, update it, install Antivirus and Anti Adware programs
                I have