Re: 850 charging problem

  • terry_veldhuizen
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
      I recently had a problem with my RL 500. Not sure how similar it is
      to the 850, but the mower kept saying Charging Problem when the
      charger was not connected to the cradle. The problem was the socket
      where the charger cable plugs into the cradle. I took the cradle
      apart and replaced the socket (All electronics # DCJ-1 $0.35 @
      allelectronics.com) and that solved the problem.

      Hope this helps
      Terry

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, jeff webster <rainycityguy@...>
      wrote:

      > The display continues to say check power yet power supply is OK.
      This is when recharging via the cradle plug. I had this happen to a
      model 800 before and Tyler said I needed a new cradle, which I got
      and it worked. Does anyone else know about this? Cause (power hit?)
      and if replacing the cradle is the best first step? If so, what is
      best source?

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
        I'm getting the idea that Friendly Robotics broadcasts simultaneous
        "malfunction now" orders wirelessly to the mowers.

        I've got the same problem! On the lawn, I put in the batt, and the
        battery level starts going up, back to nothing, up again, like it does
        when it's charging. Charger's not even hooked up here! Then it says
        "Charging Problem". I can't get the mower to start. Tried to remove
        the batt and start over numerous times and no luck.

        I've never even used the charger, I have the external fast charger.

        Are you saying the DC power plug on the hand controller? (cradle is
        what the controller sits in so I don't think that's right)

        Danny

        terry_veldhuizen wrote:

        >I recently had a problem with my RL 500. Not sure how similar it is
        >to the 850, but the mower kept saying Charging Problem when the
        >charger was not connected to the cradle. The problem was the socket
        >where the charger cable plugs into the cradle. I took the cradle
        >apart and replaced the socket (All electronics # DCJ-1 $0.35 @
        >allelectronics.com) and that solved the problem.
        >
        >Hope this helps
        >Terry
        >
        >--- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, jeff webster <rainycityguy@...>
        >wrote:
        >

        >>The display continues to say check power yet power supply is OK.
        >>

        >This is when recharging via the cradle plug. I had this happen to a
        >model 800 before and Tyler said I needed a new cradle, which I got
        >and it worked. Does anyone else know about this? Cause (power hit?)
        >and if replacing the cradle is the best first step? If so, what is
        >best source?
        >

        >> Thanks

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Austin Morgan
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
          The DC power plug is actually located on the bottom of the cradle the manual
          controller sits in. When I had the problem you are describing I
          disassembled the wiring node located under the gray cover at the bottom of
          the well where the controller, charging connector and all other external
          wires come out. Take the cover off remove all the connectors and let it dry
          very well. I then reconnected everything and made sure the cover was on
          tight. I have not had any issues since then. This was simply a case of
          shorting though water buildup. Hope this helps.

          Austin Morgan.

          P.S. if you have a frayed yellow/orange wire going to the DC charging node
          on your cradle you will have to replace the cradle because it will have the
          same symptoms and will not go away so easily.

        • dannym@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
            Yeah I see now. I forgot where the charging plug was.

            Actually I just fixed it awhile ago. I tried unplugging the cradle's
            3-pin connector and got the same charging error. I plugged it in and
            unplugged it a few times to clean the connector and bam! works fine.
            Actually I played with it a lot before that and that "charging..." error
            was unavoidable so it looks like this was definitely the problem.

            From: Austin Morgan <admorgan@...>
            Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:13 am
            Subject: Re: [RoboMower] Re: 850 charging problem
            To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com

            > The DC power plug is actually located on the bottom of the cradle
            > the manual
            > controller sits in. When I had the problem you are describing I
            > disassembled the wiring node located under the gray cover at the
            > bottom of
            > the well where the controller, charging connector and all other
            > externalwires come out. Take the cover off remove all the
            > connectors and let it dry
            > very well. I then reconnected everything and made sure the cover
            > was on
            > tight. I have not had any issues since then. This was simply a
            > case of
            > shorting though water buildup. Hope this helps.
            >
            > Austin Morgan.
            >
            > P.S. if you have a frayed yellow/orange wire going to the DC
            > charging node
            > on your cradle you will have to replace the cradle because it will
            > have the
            > same symptoms and will not go away so easily.
            >
            > Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:
            > >I'm getting the idea that Friendly Robotics broadcasts
            > simultaneous
            > >"malfunction now" orders wirelessly to the mowers.
            > >
            > >I've got the same problem! On the lawn, I put in the batt, and
            > the
            > >battery level starts going up, back to nothing, up again, like it
            > does
            > >when it's charging. Charger's not even hooked up here! Then it
            > says
            > >"Charging Problem". I can't get the mower to start. Tried to
            > remove
            > >the batt and start over numerous times and no luck.
            > >
            > >I've never even used the charger, I have the external fast charger.
            > >
            > >Are you saying the DC power plug on the hand controller? (cradle
            > is
            > >what the controller sits in so I don't think that's right)
            > >
            > >Danny
            > >
            > >terry_veldhuizen wrote:
            > >
            > >>I recently had a problem with my RL 500. Not sure how similar it
            > is
            > >>to the 850, but the mower kept saying Charging Problem when the
            > >>charger was not connected to the cradle. The problem was the
            > socket
            > >>where the charger cable plugs into the cradle. I took the cradle
            > >>apart and replaced the socket (All electronics # DCJ-1 $0.35 @
            > >>allelectronics.com) and that solved the problem.
            > >>
            > >>Hope this helps
            > >>Terry
            > >>
            > >>--- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, jeff webster <rainycityguy@...>

            > >>This is when recharging via the cradle plug. I had this happen to
            > >>model 800 before and Tyler said I needed a new cradle, which I
            > got
            > >>and it worked. Does anyone else know about this? Cause (power
            > hit?)
            > >>and if replacing the cradle is the best first step? If so, what
            > is
            > >>best source?

            > >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jeff webster