Re: [RoboMower] Re: Wire under sidewalk

  • Tom Stewart
    Message 1 of 51 , Oct 31, 2007
      Here's the link I found for a tool to install PVC pipe under a sidewalk. http://www.sidewalksleever.com/?gclid=CIPz2cH0uY8CFQxdgQodsGmwrg

      terry_veldhuizen <terry_veldhuizen@...> wrote: On the second hole where I was a little smarter, I dig a trench about
      8" wide (as wide as the shovel) and about 3' long and about 4" deeper
      than the bottom of the sidewalk. The plastic pipe bent enough to get
      it going straight under the sidewalk. I laid the pipe on the top of
      the sidewalk so it stuck out about 4" on the other side and wrapped
      it with tape to mark how far it had to go in. Then I turned on the
      water and bored the hole to the tape and shut off the water. I dug on
      the other side just enough to locate where the pipe stuck out. I then
      pushed the pipe so the actual pipe stuck out about 6" then cut off
      the nozzle on one end and the water hose fitting on the other end. I
      left the pipe in place, pulled the wire through and filled in the
      holes. When I dug the hole originally, I laid down a tarp, cut and
      removed the sod and set it aside and put the dirt on the tarp. When I
      was done, I put the dirt and sod back and you could hardly tell the
      hole was ever there. The dirt did settle where I dug the hole and
      after about a year I had to add a little more dirt.

      Terry

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@...> wrote:

      > How big of a hole did you have to dig? A trench long enough on
      either
      > side to hold a pipe long enough to meet up in the middle?
      > Or did you do the whole trench on one side and just a simple hole
      on the
      > other side to intercept the pipe as it comes all the way across
      from the
      > other side?
      >
      > I wonder if it's a good idea to try to get these to meet up there
      in the
      > middle. I'm also wondering if the water pipe's gonna be as close
      as I
      > think which may limit my trench length on that side. I'll get it
      marked.

      > It struck me that the reason that one square is lifted up like 1/2"
      > might be a root from the Arizona ash tree in the yard. That's
      gonna be
      > unfortunate if it gets in the way!
      >
      > Danny
      >
      > terry_veldhuizen wrote:
      >
      > >I ran wire under my sidewalk in two places and it was fairly easy.
      > >bought a kit that contains a nozzle that a fitting that attaches
      to a
      > >water hose. The fittings glue onto a piece a 1 1/4 plactic pipe
      and
      > >the water jet bores a hole under the sidewalk. You can do it for
      > >about $10. I then ran a metal conduit under the sidewalk and ran
      the
      > >wire through it with no problem. The conduit is about 8" deep at
      its
      > >deepest point and Robby has no trouble following it. I used
      conduit
      > >in case I hit it with the edger, but it has never happened.
      > >
      > >Terry
      > >

      > >--- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Danny Miller <dannym@> wrote:
      > >

      > >>I got tired of the manually mowing the little strip on the other
      > >>

      > >side of
      > >

      > >>the sidewalk in front of the house. I found one of the joints in
      > >>

      > >the
      > >

      > >>pavement was separated and offset a bit, I used this to extend
      the

      > >wire
      > >

      > >>to the strip area.
      > >>
      > >>The other side crosses the sidewalk where the sidewalk intersects
      > >>

      > >the
      > >

      > >>driveway. The edger's generally not going to go into that
      corner.
      > >>However, where the wire crosses the middle of the sidewalk is
      > >>

      > >another
      > >

      > >>story. I can't armor this wire, I use a steel-bladed edger and
      > >>

      > >things
      > >

      > >>would go bad if the wire resists instead of giving way.
      > >>
      > >>Is there some way to bury this wire deeper? A bit under 2"
      should

      > >allow
      > >

      > >>it to be edged past. I recall hearing about some sort of water
      > >>

      > >lance for
      > >

      > >>doing such a thing, but know nothing about them.

> [...]

    • Tom Stewart
      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 31, 2007