RE: [RoboMower] What is the best way to "winterize" my robomower?

  • IGGYandSvetlana
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
      The manuals for RM are at www.FriendlyRobotics.com
      <http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/> .

      What climate are you in? Sounds like you are getting ready for a cold
      winter? I’d bring the mower inside into the garage or basement if the mower
      is not used all year. Recharge the batteries and then take them out of the
      mower and charge them up every 1-2 months. This seems to be the best way to
      hold the charge.

      _
      _| |___
      ¸...¸ _ _/ /\____
      ,·´º o`· , /__/ _/\_ //____/\_\
      ``)¨(´´ | | [ ] | | [ ]| | |[ ] || ||±±±±||
      ¸,.-·°°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°°·-. :º°

      Sincerely,

      IGGY Dybal

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
        Charge the battery first but don't leave it on the charger when it's
        done. Take the charged batt out of the mower and store it on the shelf.

        From: Mark <oceansidelocal@...>
        Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:11 pm
        To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com

        > What is the best way to "winterize" my robomower?-- I only have a
        > basic
        > storage shed outside without electricity. do I have to bring the
        > entire
        > mower inside? please dont tell me to read the manual, cause i dont
        > know
        > where it is at the moment. thanks.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ben Sporl
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
          Does anyone store their mower in a shed during the winter rather than in the garage or basement? I'd like move my Robomower out of the garage to free up space. BTW, I live in Texas.

          From: Mark <oceansidelocal@ yahoo.com>
          Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:11 pm
          To: RoboMower@yahoogrou ps.com

          > What is the best way to "winterize" my robomower?-- I only have a
          > basic
          > storage shed outside without electricity. do I have to bring the
          > entire
          > mower inside? please dont tell me to read the manual, cause i dont
          > know
          > where it is at the moment. thanks.

        • wild_bill_howell
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
            Mower, OK.
            Battery, not OK.
            Keep battery as close to "room temp" as possible.

            WB

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone store their mower in a shed during the winter rather
            than in the garage or basement? I'd like move my Robomower out of the
            garage to free up space. BTW, I live in Texas.

          • Bob and Barbara
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
              Ben, I guess it would depend on what mower you have and type of
              charger.
              I have 2 RL1000s that I store in a shed, but I store the batteries
              in my basement and charge them periodically with a fast charger that
              slips right on to the battery terminals.
              I also unplug the power cord and cover the docking stations tight
              with plastic so that leaves, snow or ice can't get in them while
              Robos are out and in the storage shed.

              I live in Virginia.
              Bob

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone store their mower in a shed during the winter rather
              than in the garage or basement? I'd like move my Robomower out of
              the garage to free up space. BTW, I live in Texas.

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 11, 2007
                So, I should charge my battery one last time and then bring the
                batter inside my house, and move the robo mower into the shed, and
                then unplug the base and cover it from the elements (winter
                season)... will I have to charge the battery once a month, or will it
                be ok inside my huse on a shelf until spring?

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "wild_bill_howell"
                <ALLAMERICANARC@...> wrote:

                > Mower, OK.
                > Battery, not OK.
                > Keep battery as close to "room temp" as possible.
                >
                > WB
                >

                > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Does anyone store their mower in a shed during the winter rather
                > than in the garage or basement? I'd like move my Robomower out of
                the
                > garage to free up space. BTW, I live in Texas.

              • Christopher Zach
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2007
                  Mark wrote:
                  > So, I should charge my battery one last time and then bring the
                  > batter inside my house, and move the robo mower into the shed, and
                  > then unplug the base and cover it from the elements (winter
                  > season)... will I have to charge the battery once a month, or will it
                  > be ok inside my huse on a shelf until spring?

                  Actually the colder the battery, the happier. That whole "concrete"
                  thing is a myth; the real problem was that batteries would
                  self-discharge to zero, then freeze. On AGM batteries there really is
                  nothing to freeze per se.

                  So a cool garage would be fine.

                  Chris
                  (Runs an elec-trak in the winter. It doesn't mind the cold)