What is the best way to "winterize" my robomower?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
      What is the best way to "winterize" my robomower?-- I only have a basic
      storage shed outside without electricity. do I have to bring the entire
      mower inside? please dont tell me to read the manual, cause i dont know
      where it is at the moment. thanks.
    • IGGYandSvetlana
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
        The manuals for RM are at www.FriendlyRobotics.com
        <http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/> .

        What climate are you in? Sounds like you are getting ready for a cold
        winter? I’d bring the mower inside into the garage or basement if the mower
        is not used all year. Recharge the batteries and then take them out of the
        mower and charge them up every 1-2 months. This seems to be the best way to
        hold the charge.

        _
        _| |___
        ¸...¸ _ _/ /\____
        ,·´º o`· , /__/ _/\_ //____/\_\
        ``)¨(´´ | | [ ] | | [ ]| | |[ ] || ||±±±±||
        ¸,.-·°°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°°·-. :º°

        Sincerely,

        IGGY Dybal

        _____

      • dannym@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
          Charge the battery first but don't leave it on the charger when it's
          done. Take the charged batt out of the mower and store it on the shelf.

          From: Mark <oceansidelocal@...>
          Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:11 pm
          To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com

          > What is the best way to "winterize" my robomower?-- I only have a
          > basic
          > storage shed outside without electricity. do I have to bring the
          > entire
          > mower inside? please dont tell me to read the manual, cause i dont
          > know
          > where it is at the moment. thanks.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ben Sporl
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
            Does anyone store their mower in a shed during the winter rather than in the garage or basement? I'd like move my Robomower out of the garage to free up space. BTW, I live in Texas.

            From: Mark <oceansidelocal@ yahoo.com>
            Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:11 pm
            To: RoboMower@yahoogrou ps.com

            > What is the best way to "winterize" my robomower?-- I only have a
            > basic
            > storage shed outside without electricity. do I have to bring the
            > entire
            > mower inside? please dont tell me to read the manual, cause i dont
            > know
            > where it is at the moment. thanks.

          • wild_bill_howell
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
              Mower, OK.
              Battery, not OK.
              Keep battery as close to "room temp" as possible.

              WB

              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone store their mower in a shed during the winter rather
              than in the garage or basement? I'd like move my Robomower out of the
              garage to free up space. BTW, I live in Texas.

            • Bob and Barbara
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
                Ben, I guess it would depend on what mower you have and type of
                charger.
                I have 2 RL1000s that I store in a shed, but I store the batteries
                in my basement and charge them periodically with a fast charger that
                slips right on to the battery terminals.
                I also unplug the power cord and cover the docking stations tight
                with plastic so that leaves, snow or ice can't get in them while
                Robos are out and in the storage shed.

                I live in Virginia.
                Bob

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2007
                  So, I should charge my battery one last time and then bring the
                  batter inside my house, and move the robo mower into the shed, and
                  then unplug the base and cover it from the elements (winter
                  season)... will I have to charge the battery once a month, or will it
                  be ok inside my huse on a shelf until spring?

                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "wild_bill_howell"
                  <ALLAMERICANARC@...> wrote:

                  > Mower, OK.
                  > Battery, not OK.
                  > Keep battery as close to "room temp" as possible.
                  >
                  > WB
                  >

                  > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sporl <bsporl@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone store their mower in a shed during the winter rather
                  > than in the garage or basement? I'd like move my Robomower out of
                  the
                  > garage to free up space. BTW, I live in Texas.

                • Christopher Zach
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 11, 2007
                    Mark wrote:
                    > So, I should charge my battery one last time and then bring the
                    > batter inside my house, and move the robo mower into the shed, and
                    > then unplug the base and cover it from the elements (winter
                    > season)... will I have to charge the battery once a month, or will it
                    > be ok inside my huse on a shelf until spring?

                    Actually the colder the battery, the happier. That whole "concrete"
                    thing is a myth; the real problem was that batteries would
                    self-discharge to zero, then freeze. On AGM batteries there really is
                    nothing to freeze per se.

                    So a cool garage would be fine.

                    Chris
                    (Runs an elec-trak in the winter. It doesn't mind the cold)