Battery time? My layout.

  • Kansas City Home Source - IGGY
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2003
      Mine lasts for about 4-4.5 hours. This is my third season of mowing now and
      I don't see any problems with the batteries at all loosing longevity. I
      think the manual says they can last for several seasons (I'd assume 3-5) and
      the battery life is supposed to deteriorate over time. So far so good.I keep
      the mower plugged at all times as recommended, also I have an extra battery
      and fast charger and the other battery alternates with the one I deplete.

      I have been running the mower dead on the front yard or switch the mower to
      the side to complete the depletion of the batter, in the back yard for
      maximum time. Normally I found out that about 2 hours polishes my front lawn
      to perfection as I have a tree in the middle and a tree behind the sidewalk
      as obstacles - this slows the mower some.

      Here is the perimeter of my house (NOT TO SCALE) - Zone A goes past the
      sidewalk to the street, Zone B goes only to the sidewalk as tehre are too
      many tree roots past sidewalk - I mow it manually once in a while.

      STREET
      STREET
      ___________________________ ___________
      I TREE X GREEN SPACE \ DRIVEWAY / X TREE
      -------------------------------------\
      /----------------
      I SIDEWALK I
      SIDEWALK
      -------------------------------------
      -----------------
      I I
      I I
      I ZONE A I I
      I I
      I I
      I TREE X I
      I I
      I I
      I I
      I ___ ______________ I I ZONE I
      I____I I_____I I
      B I

      I I

      I I

      I I

      I I

      I I

      I I

      I --------I

      Layout #1 of the back yard (took longer to mow as the mower would get
      trapped in the "C" round the playground. I later changed it to # 2 Below and
      it's doing a better job now.
      _________ __________
      I _____I I I
      I I PLAY I I
      I I______I I
      I________ I
      I I
      PATIO I I
      __________I I
      I X (tree) I
      I I
      I____________________I

      Layout #2 - the one I currently have in the back yard.

      ____ _______________
      I I I_____ I
      I I PLAY I I
      I I______I I
      I________ I
      I I
      PATIO I I
      __________I I
      I X (tree) I
      I____________________I

      The back yard takes longer as I have a tree there and also a playground that
      is encircled by the perimeter fence (see my diagram below) so, I have the
      mower run till the battery dies.

      Any help?

      Sincerely,

      IGGY Dybal

      Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best

      E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
      Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
      Fax: 913-234-7024

      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2003
        I'm not sure what you're asking. Your diagrams didnt
        show well on my email. How many sqft is your yard?

        My total yard is 15,000 sqft. (including my house) I
        have it divided into 4 zones. 2 zones in the front and
        2 in the back. The smallest zone is the one next to my
        drive way. I have it timed for 40 mins but i've found
        if I start the mower in a certain key spot, it'll cut
        that entire side in ONE SINGLE PASS!! without missing
        spots!

        My front yard takes about 2 hours but that's in worse
        case sceneio. (when it grows high) It could cut it in
        a short time frame depending on how high it grows. My
        back yard is the mother! It's huge! I had to cut it in
        half with 2 big plots. The rear section of it takes
        almost 3 hours and the front section takes about the
        same as the large front area. My batteries never go
        out on me. I've only had it run dead once and that was
        when i didnt know how long it takes...so I let it run
        til it died. I have 2 batteries and the rapid charger
        as well. I "really" dont need the extra battery...now
        that i know how the mower works now..but i bought it
        early on. i dont keep the batteries charging. i run
        the mower about 3 times a week...i run the front yard
        in one night and the back on 2 other nights. i use the
        rapid charge exclusively. Do you think i should charge
        the batteries after they've finished rapid charging?

        I must tell you something i've learned that greatly
        changes the efficency...CHANGE YOUR STARTING POSITION!
        If you're not happy with how it's cutting, start it at
        a different location....usually near any 4 four corner
        posistion. You'll soon see that your cutting time
        would be reduced and missed spots will disappear. I
        remember i used to run the smaller area of my backyard
        until the timer goes out...now i run it less than 2
        hours! Wish I had known that before buying the extra
        battery.

        http://search.yahoo.com