Re: Help with RL500 and charging

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 6, 2007
      I finally have the readings from the batteries while mowing.

      After about 35 minutes the batteries (combined) voltage was at 25.6v
      at idle, when mowing it went down to between 22v and 19v. Once the
      voltage dipped to 18v a "Recharge battery" notice was shown.

      I assume this means the batteries are defective?

      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Zach <cz@...> wrote:

      > Jason wrote:
      > > I forgot a couple of things from my original post. The run time
      is
      > > about 50 minutes on these fully charged batteries.
      > >
      > > The voltage of the batteries after being alerted that the
      batteries
      > > are completely empty and to recharge:
      > > Front battery: 12.64v
      > > Back battery: 12.78v
      >
      > Ok, time for the million dollar question:
      >
      > Put the meter on the robomower and secure it with tape. Watch the
      mower
      > at the 45 minute mark and note the battery voltage while it is
      running.

      > While it is running is the key. If you can check each battery, but
      don't
      > stop the mower to do it.
      >
      > If it's sinking below 11.0 volts it's the batteries. If it's not
      (and I
      > think it isn't based on those readings at rest) it's got to be
      something
      > wrong with your mower. Because it's supposed to cut out at 22 volts.
      >
      > Chris

    • Christopher Zach
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
        Jason wrote:
        > I finally have the readings from the batteries while mowing.
        >
        > After about 35 minutes the batteries (combined) voltage was at 25.6v
        > at idle, when mowing it went down to between 22v and 19v. Once the
        > voltage dipped to 18v a "Recharge battery" notice was shown.

        > I assume this means the batteries are defective?

        The batteries are not good. 18 volts on two batteries=9 volts per
        battery average. But since they are popping back up fast, that means
        they are probably sulfated. They will hold a "surface charge" but aren't
        putting out anywhere near their capacity.

        Next question: What is the voltage on each battery. Take the top off the
        battery carrier and check; I wonder if they are both at 9 volts or if
        one is down at 5 and the other at 12. That will tell you if one battery
        is bad, or if they are both el-junko.

        Third question: When you charge, what does the voltage look like? Same
        on both batteries during charge, or is one at 15 volts and the other at 12?

        Congrats!
        Chris
      • Jason
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 9, 2007
          What exactly does it mean that they are "sulfated"? Any way to fix
          that?
          I checked them both, they are both at about 8-9, so I guess they are
          both bad. I just wrote to Gruber (seller) to see if they will
          replace them with a deep discharge model of the battery.

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Zach <cz@...> wrote:

          > Jason wrote:
          > > I finally have the readings from the batteries while mowing.
          > >
          > > After about 35 minutes the batteries (combined) voltage was at
          25.6v
          > > at idle, when mowing it went down to between 22v and 19v. Once
          the
          > > voltage dipped to 18v a "Recharge battery" notice was shown.
          >
          > > I assume this means the batteries are defective?
          >
          > The batteries are not good. 18 volts on two batteries=9 volts per
          > battery average. But since they are popping back up fast, that
          means
          > they are probably sulfated. They will hold a "surface charge" but
          aren't
          > putting out anywhere near their capacity.
          >
          > Next question: What is the voltage on each battery. Take the top
          off the
          > battery carrier and check; I wonder if they are both at 9 volts or
          if
          > one is down at 5 and the other at 12. That will tell you if one
          battery
          > is bad, or if they are both el-junko.
          >
          > Third question: When you charge, what does the voltage look like?
          Same
          > on both batteries during charge, or is one at 15 volts and the
          other at 12?

          > Congrats!
          > Chris

        • Christopher Zach
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 9, 2007
            Jason wrote:
            > What exactly does it mean that they are "sulfated"? Any way to fix
            > that?
            > I checked them both, they are both at about 8-9, so I guess they are
            > both bad. I just wrote to Gruber (seller) to see if they will
            > replace them with a deep discharge model of the battery.

            Sulfation is what happens when the battery has sat too long discharged.
            Basically the plates are coated with sulfur from the H2SO4 in the
            electrolyte and it can't be blown off by the charger.

            Now when you are charging the batteries, what happens?

            Chris
          • Art
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 10, 2007
              On Aug 9, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Christopher Zach wrote:

              > Jason wrote:
              > > What exactly does it mean that they are "sulfated"? Any way to fix
              > > that?
              > > I checked them both, they are both at about 8-9, so I guess they are
              > > both bad. I just wrote to Gruber (seller) to see if they will
              > > replace them with a deep discharge model of the battery.
              >
              > Sulfation is what happens when the battery has sat too long
              > discharged.
              > Basically the plates are coated with sulfur from the H2SO4 in the
              > electrolyte and it can't be blown off by the charger.

              Get a BatteryMINDer Plus (12 Volt 1.3 Amp Charger/Maintainer/
              Desulphater)

              <http://www.batteryweb.com/batteryminder-details.cfm?model=12117>
            • jeff webster
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 10, 2007
                does this battery Minder really work? and help?

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 14, 2007
                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Zach <cz@...> wrote:

                  > Jason wrote:
                  > > What exactly does it mean that they are "sulfated"? Any way to fix
                  > > that?
                  > > I checked them both, they are both at about 8-9, so I guess they
                  are
                  > > both bad. I just wrote to Gruber (seller) to see if they will
                  > > replace them with a deep discharge model of the battery.
                  >
                  > Sulfation is what happens when the battery has sat too long
                  discharged.
                  > Basically the plates are coated with sulfur from the H2SO4 in the
                  > electrolyte and it can't be blown off by the charger.
                  >
                  > Now when you are charging the batteries, what happens?
                  >
                  > Chris

                  Wow, I don't know how it is possible for them to get sulfated, their
                  manufactured date is Feb 2007. They arrived to me charged.

                  When I connect them they now "charge" for about 2-5 seconds on my
                  external charger and then report that they are done (with the green
                  light). I put them in the mower and it doesn't turn on. I guess they
                  are completely dead now. I have another set and those turn it on.
                • Christopher Zach
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 14, 2007
                    Jason wrote:
                    > Wow, I don't know how it is possible for them to get sulfated, their
                    > manufactured date is Feb 2007. They arrived to me charged.

                    That is weird. But batteries that I have seen go sulphated follow a
                    similar pattern: They immediately rocket up to "full" because there is
                    no depth in their plates to charge. In a way they're sort of like
                    capacitors instead of batteries. Then when you load them, they
                    immediately fall in charge.

                    Contrast that to dried out batteries: Those I have seen will provide
                    very little voltage sag at first, then drop like stones. This is because
                    what is left of the electrolyte is very concentrated (because the water
                    is gone). Running them you would see 12+ volts per battery for awhile,
                    then falling off *fast* once the plates discharged instead of a normal
                    start voltage in the upper 11's and fall down to 10 over time.

                    > When I connect them they now "charge" for about 2-5 seconds on my
                    > external charger and then report that they are done (with the green
                    > light). I put them in the mower and it doesn't turn on. I guess they
                    > are completely dead now. I have another set and those turn it on.

                    When you put them in the mower, does the battery voltage fall like a rock?

                    Chris
                  • amestiedeman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 18, 2007
                      Hello Jason:

                      Feel free to contact Steve Jones at Probotics for any service work or questions about your
                      Robomower.

                      We want you happy.

                      Regards,
                      Ames