Mowing in cold weather

  • Iggy and Svetlana
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
      I got some leaves on the front and back yard that I'd like to mulch with my
      Robbie, however, the temps are in the low 30's in Kansas City now. I checked
      the manual for the temperature ranges to operate the mower and did not find
      anything about these temps - only " minus 4 F/ 20 C" mentioned for area and
      "0 F/ minus 18 C" for storage of the batteries. I assume it's OK to mow in
      this weather?

      Actually, would be fun to do something like this - when other neighbors mow
      in the freezing weather, Robbie ventures out :o) I can just see them cursing
      at me :o)

      Sincerely,

      IGGY Dybal

      Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best

      E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
      Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
      Fax: 913-451-5361
    • Clint D
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
        Do you mind making videos of your mower next time out?

        --- Iggy and Svetlana <iggyandsvetlana@...>
        wrote:
        > I got some leaves on the front and back yard that
        > I'd like to mulch with my
        > Robbie, however, the temps are in the low 30's in
        > Kansas City now. I checked
        > the manual for the temperature ranges to operate the
        > mower and did not find
        > anything about these temps - only " minus 4 F/ 20 C"
        > mentioned for area and
        > "0 F/ minus 18 C" for storage of the batteries. I
        > assume it's OK to mow in
        > this weather?
        >
        > Actually, would be fun to do something like this -
        > when other neighbors mow
        > in the freezing weather, Robbie ventures out :o) I
        > can just see them cursing
        > at me :o)
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > IGGY Dybal
        >
        > Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX
        > Best
        >
        > E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site:
        > http://www.iggy.net
        > Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
        > Fax: 913-451-5361

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • John Stoner
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003

          It shouldn't matter if it is cold, as long as it isn't cold enough for the battery to freeze and crack the battery shell.

          ----Original Message Follows---- From: Iggy and Svetlana Reply-To: RoboMower@yahoogroups.com To: RoboMower Subject: [RoboMower] Mowing in cold weather Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:34:07 -0600 I got some leaves on the front and back yard that I'd like to mulch with my Robbie, however, the temps are in the low 30's in Kansas City now. I checked the manual for the temperature ranges to operate the mower and did not find anything about these temps - only " minus 4 F/ 20 C" mentioned for area and "0 F/ minus 18 C" for storage of the batteries. I assume it's OK to mow in this weather? Actually, would be fun to do something like this - when other neighbors mow in the freezing weather, Robbie ventures out :o) I can just see them cursing at me :o) Sincerely, IGGY Dybal Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449 Fax: 913-451-5361

          Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups! Get downloads, videos, and more here.
        • Clint D
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
            Yea I agree....but I'm thinking the colder weather may run the batteries down faster.

            John Stoner <stoner_john@...> wrote:

[...]

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • iggyandsvetlana@everestkc.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
              Yea I agree....but I'm thinking the colder weather may run the batteries
              down faster.

              John Stoner <stoner_john@...> wrote:
              It shouldn't matter if it is cold, as long as it isn't cold enough for the
              battery to freeze and crack the battery shell.

              Got a response from FR - they say in colder weather the mower would be OK
              as long as it's not below the battery storage temps - like minus 4 degrees
              Farenheit. I think I'll be OK in Kansas City :o)

              IGGY Dybal

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • kcobra07
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2003
                I visited a guy a few months ago that owned an Automower. I know
                the Robo has a bigger battery, but a battery is a battery none the
                less. Anyway, he left his mower out in the winter and something to
                do with the freezing and the moisture damaged the onboard computer.
                The battery seemed to be okay. So, I'm guessing that freezing
                temeratures and moisture really may harm your robo computer as
                well. As you also suggested, I would imagine that the colder temps
                would cause the battery to run down faster.

                Is there not a temperature warning in the manual or on the battery
                that says warning do not operate within these temps? I gues you
                would have to google for "cold affect on batteries"

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "iggyandsvetlana@e..."
                <iggyandsvetlana@e...> wrote:

> [...]
              • Iggy and Svetlana
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2003
                  I visited a guy a few months ago that owned an Automower. I know
                  > the Robo has a bigger battery, but a battery is a battery none the
                  > less. Anyway, he left his mower out in the winter and something to
                  > do with the freezing and the moisture damaged the onboard computer.
                  > The battery seemed to be okay. So, I'm guessing that freezing
                  > temperatures and moisture really may harm your robo computer as
                  > well. As you also suggested, I would imagine that the colder temps
                  > would cause the battery to run down faster.
                  >
                  > Is there not a temperature warning in the manual or on the battery
                  > that says warning do not operate within these temps? I gues you
                  > would have to google for "cold affect on batteries"

                  I got an e-mail from FriendlyRobotics - they say you can mow without any
                  harm to your battery in cold temps. As long as it's not below zero :o)
                  Fahrenheit - and this is VERY COLD :o)

                  Can you talk a bit about this guys experience with the AutoMower? Can you
                  sign him up for this group so he can share his experiences?

                  Sincerely,

                  IGGY Dybal

                  Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best

                  E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
                  Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
                  Fax: 913-451-5361
                • Marty Hall
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2003
                    No... Zero is warm. We're running around zero right now and last week it was 35 below. Zero is WARM!

                    At 21:14 12/9/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                    I visited a guy a few months ago that owned an Automower.  I know
                    > the Robo has a bigger battery, but a battery is a battery none the
                    > less.  Anyway, he left his mower out in the winter and something to
                    > do with the freezing and the moisture damaged the onboard computer.
                    > The battery seemed to be okay.  So, I'm guessing that freezing
                    > temperatures and moisture really may harm your robo computer as
                    > well.  As you also suggested, I would imagine that the colder temps
                    > would cause the battery to run down faster.
                    >
                    > Is there not a temperature warning in the manual or on the battery
                    > that says warning do not operate within these temps?  I gues you
                    > would have to google for "cold affect on batteries"

                    I got an e-mail from FriendlyRobotics - they say you can mow without any
                    harm to your battery in cold temps. As long as it's not below zero :o)
                    Fahrenheit - and this is VERY COLD :o)

                    Can you talk a bit about this guys experience with the AutoMower? Can you
                    sign him up for this group so he can share his experiences?

                    Sincerely,

                    IGGY Dybal

                    Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best

                    E-mail: mailto:iggy@...  Web site: http://www.iggy.net
                    Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
                    Fax: 913-451-5361

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    225e50.jpg
                    225ebe.jpg

                    Marty Hall
                    Fairbanks, Alaska

                  • jmwjmwjmw
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 10, 2003
                      This is VERY interesting...

                      Iggy I have the battery in the house but...

                      Now I am worried about the computer... We have temp -20 here in
                      Minnesota.. do you think I should bring the Mower in the house...

                      Can you check with FR ?

                      Thanks for your consideration... John

                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "kcobra07" <kcobra07@y...> wrote:
                      > I visited a guy a few months ago that owned an Automower. I know
                      > the Robo has a bigger battery, but a battery is a battery none the
                      > less. Anyway, he left his mower out in the winter and something to
                      > do with the freezing and the moisture damaged the onboard
                      computer.
                      > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "iggyandsvetlana@e..."
                    • Iggy and Svetlana
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 10, 2003
                        > Iggy I have the battery in the house but...
                        > Now I am worried about the computer... We have temp -20 here in
                        > Minnesota.. do you think I should bring the Mower in the house...
                        > Can you check with FR ?

                        Nothing is said about the mower, only the battery. I would definitely bring
                        the battery in. Don't know if the mechanics of the mower and all the
                        electronic gadgets will hold up in the freeze. I'll e-mail FR and will let
                        you know if the mower will be OK in the freeze - minus 20!!!! Wow! It's like
                        in Russia where I was born.