One mower with all software packages & 2004 Mower model?

  • Iggy and Svetlana
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2003
      > I hope to become a dealer for the RoboMower and that is the
      > reason for owning 1 of each model. Actually, I own a iMow which
      > had the upgrades, it is more or less a RL-550. The best way to
      > describe the differences to customers is to actually own one of
      > each, in my humble opinion.

      Better yet to be able to have one mower on display that would have all three
      software packages on it so you can demonstrate them all on one machine. I am
      sure that FR can do that - have RL800 with upgraded newer version of
      hardware and install old RL500 software, then RL550 and then RL800. So, this
      way as a dealer you only show 1 product (which has not really changed at all
      on the outside besides the knobby tires and a controller) in appearance, but
      only in software configurations. Like technical support for software that
      has different versions on their one single computer.

      >As for the 2004 model, it is my understanding that there might
      > be a natural marking point, which will be the docking station, they
      > may have several new functions using that point, such as different
      > start points a user can program that can enter a different zone on
      > each operation. That is just what I have heard, by no means do I
      > know for sure if a new model will come out in 2004.

      Docking station? Sounds interesting. Where did you hear that? We've talked
      about that before. That would be more like Husqvarna's Auto/Solar mower or
      Ambrogio then but I hope they'll have an option of running it in RL500/RL800
      mode for people who have fences and several zones due to their yard
      configurations like my house for instance - 2 zones on front and one side
      and 1 large zone in the back yard. This "docking" station feature that
      allows you constant mowing will be of little use in my case and I would not
      want to pay extra 200-400$ for something I will not be using as a feature of
      automowing. Also, hope they'll have a rain sensor for the automower to get
      back to the dog house :o)

      What would be a benefit of a "different start point?" For a different zone I
      take there will be a "different" start point anyway. Can you clarify what
      you mean?

      Do you mean something like on a narrow zone have the mower start going along
      the narrow side southbound now instead of WWWWWWW or north bound next time
      it mows so you can determine which way works better? Hardly makes sense,
      since the mower will need to cover the area that has not been covered yet
      and eventually will go into WWWWW pattern unless there is some sort of a
      grass cutting measuring device installed that will tell it the most
      efficient mowing pattern.

      I would still speculate that they'd like to accomplish the "solid sea of
      green" mowing pattern when the grass is blended over time when the mower
      does it several times - in my estimated 3-4 times going over the same spot
      from different directions.

      I would estimate the price to be about $1,000 then? Will they naturally
      progress to this new model and stop making RL500 at all or will they
      continue making RL500 alongside with RL800 to offer several options? I think
      this would only make sense for them to do that financially and offer a
      variety of options for a yard with fences and several zones - RL500, 3-5
      zones and 10-14,000 sq. ft. For a slightly larger yard with or without
      fences RL800 and for a nice size yard with enough clearance between the
      boundaries of the lot and the house the new version?

      Don't know if this would be what FR would do. They seem to concentrate on
      1-2 products only (RL500 and RL800 right now). Will there be a simultaneous
      choice #3? One thing that I think may happen eventually is that they will do
      a perfect product with the software that accomplishes everything 100% -
      software RL500 like, RL800, and package for the new docking version. They
      will then have to perfect the battery, then add remote control, then remote
      signal display for in-house, they then will add a video camera :o) and next
      thing you know the mower will be also trimming my beard when I need it :o)
      Don't know.

      But would make sense for them to keep the current line up, especially
      considering that their software is pretty good right now for the level of
      technology that is available. I would keep several options while giving more
      to the "geeks". After all, there is no wide acceptance of the robo mower yet
      since not too many people on the list have reported they have sighted
      another mower in their town besides their own.

      Sincerely,

      IGGY Dybal

      Your Real Estate Consultant - Kansas City - RE/MAX Best

      E-mail: mailto:iggy@... Web site: http://www.iggy.net
      Office: 913-894-4024 Toll-free: 877-550-IGGY/4449
      Fax: 913-451-5361
    • mjhall@awc.fairbanks.ak.us
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2003
        You mentioned "dog house" and that made me think of some else neat. In
        the Navy we had a "sniffer" on some Anti-Sub aircraft that supposedly
        would help locate diesel sub's by the odor left by the diesel exhaust.
        It worked... some times. If Robo had a sniffer that would help it
        avoid the piles left by the REAL resident of the dog house and it
        worked better than what the planes had.... I'd pay extra for that.....

        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Iggy and Svetlana

      • Iggy and Svetlana
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2003
          ----- Original Message ----- > You mentioned "dog house" and that made me
          think of some else neat. In
          > the Navy we had a "sniffer" on some Anti-Sub aircraft that supposedly
          > would help locate diesel sub's by the odor left by the diesel exhaust.
          > It worked... some times. If Robo had a sniffer that would help it
          > avoid the piles left by the REAL resident of the dog house and it
          > worked better than what the planes had.... I'd pay extra for that.....

          Yep, this would be an improvement beyond words!!! The other day I had the
          mower hit a pile of dog's poop with it's front wheel. I later moved it to
          the back yard and could not help but notice the poop smell - it was so
          strong. I figured out later where it came from after I put the mower in the
          garage :o)

          IGGY Dybal