Islands: Robomower vs Lawnbott

  • brianblocher
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
      I was thinking about perimeter wire islands and something I ran into
      with the Lawnbott and was curious how the Robomower handles this.

      Basically I had to install a rather large island when installing my
      parents Lawnbott. It so happened that when it was searching for it's
      charger it found the island and began circling the island indefinitely.
      What I ended up doing was adding a quick return in the island to make
      it break off. Does Robomower support quick returns and if not how does
      anybody deal with this problem assuming it would work the same way.

      Thanks,
      Brian
    • IGGY & Svetlana
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
        The island is treated as an obstacle, the parallel wires close to each other off the main perimeter to the island cancel out all wire signals and the mower will cross over them. The mower will only circle the island when you send the mower on edge mode and it hits the island or in your case when it goes back to the docking station it can get stuck there, but it will treat it on edging as perimeter wire and after 2-3 loops on edging it will break off into scan mode or will get stuck inside the island confused between two signals. The mower goes inside the perimeter wire to mow, so it can get stuck.

        If you have a large island area I don't know if there is away out to make it avoid the island on going back to the docking station as the position of the mower will be random.

        I think this is the first time we ever hear of this scenario with RoboMower, large islands just do not come up too much. I think people instead of making islands make them part of the perimeter wire.

        You may want to post your layout of the yard so we can see if it can be rewired to avoid the island. Perhaps, you can break it up in two "semi" islands which are parts of the perimeter wire? You may create a perimeter that has two wires next to each other (1 ft) and the mower will overcome this problem.

        But since you don't have a RM :o) then it's not an issue.

        IGGY

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
          Hey IGGY :)

          I'll try to post a picture or diagram if I get time but basically
          there is a large area of multiple trees, flowers, etc with lawn
          completely surrounding it. The mower could not move through any of
          this area without destroying something. The island is probably 1/3
          the size of the total area for the lawn. So it's huge and the chances
          of hitting it while searching for the base are high. Again not a
          problem with Lawnbott but since I was considering the use of
          Robomower on a new lawn it just made me think through all the isses I
          encountered.

          Brian

          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, IGGY & Svetlana
          <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote:

          > The island is treated as an obstacle, the parallel wires close to
          each other off the main perimeter to the island cancel out all wire
          signals and the mower will cross over them. The mower will only
          circle the island when you send the mower on edge mode and it hits
          the island or in your case when it goes back to the docking station
          it can get stuck there, but it will treat it on edging as perimeter
          wire and after 2-3 loops on edging it will break off into scan mode
          or will get stuck inside the island confused between two signals. The
          mower goes inside the perimeter wire to mow, so it can get stuck.

          > If you have a large island area I don't know if there is away out
          to make it avoid the island on going back to the docking station as
          the position of the mower will be random.

          > I think this is the first time we ever hear of this scenario with
          RoboMower, large islands just do not come up too much. I think people
          instead of making islands make them part of the perimeter wire.

          > You may want to post your layout of the yard so we can see if it
          can be rewired to avoid the island. Perhaps, you can break it up in
          two "semi" islands which are parts of the perimeter wire? You may
          create a perimeter that has two wires next to each other (1 ft) and
          the mower will overcome this problem.

          > But since you don't have a RM :o) then it's not an issue.
          >
          > IGGY

        • IGGY & Svetlana
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
            In that case when you have a huge island, you may want to lay the parallel wire leading to the island at 1 ft apart - the mower then will consider the whole wire as perimeter and will follow it back to the docking station. Play with the distance 1 ft of parallel wires and see how much tolerance RM will have for the wire on the other side - the mower can push away from the other wire or if you have it too close it will cross over its wire and mow in the opposite direction and then get confused and stop with an error.

            <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote:

            > The island is treated as an obstacle, the parallel wires close to
            each other off the main perimeter to the island cancel out all wire
            signals and the mower will cross over them. The mower will only
            circle the island when you send the mower on edge mode and it hits
            the island or in your case when it goes back to the docking station
            it can get stuck there, but it will treat it on edging as perimeter
            wire and after 2-3 loops on edging it will break off into scan mode
            or will get stuck inside the island confused between two signals. The
            mower goes inside the perimeter wire to mow, so it can get stuck.

            > If you have a large island area I don't know if there is away out
            to make it avoid the island on going back to the docking station as
            the position of the mower will be random.

            > I think this is the first time we ever hear of this scenario with
            RoboMower, large islands just do not come up too much. I think people
            instead of making islands make them part of the perimeter wire.

            > You may want to post your layout of the yard so we can see if it
            can be rewired to avoid the island. Perhaps, you can break it up in
            two "semi" islands which are parts of the perimeter wire? You may
            create a perimeter that has two wires next to each other (1 ft) and
            the mower will overcome this problem.

            > But since you don't have a RM :o) then it's not an issue.
            >
            > IGGY

          • Clint D
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
              Brian, from my understanding of how the Robomower searches for the dock...you should be fine. The Robomower doesn't randomly search for a wire before docking. Instead, it searches for a corner. Upon finding a corner, it will then know that the corner is not an island, then proceed to follow the wire until it docks. There are no return triangles for the Robomower.

              Back to the Lawnbott...how long did you let it go around the island before you stopped it? The Lawnbott will circle the island for a while, but eventually will turn out from it... however the return triangles are probably the best solution for your large island.

              Clint
              http://www.robomower.biz

              <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote:

              > The island is treated as an obstacle, the parallel wires close to
              each other off the main perimeter to the island cancel out all wire
              signals and the mower will cross over them. The mower will only
              circle the island when you send the mower on edge mode and it hits
              the island or in your case when it goes back to the docking station
              it can get stuck there, but it will treat it on edging as perimeter
              wire and after 2-3 loops on edging it will break off into scan mode
              or will get stuck inside the island confused between two signals. The
              mower goes inside the perimeter wire to mow, so it can get stuck.

              > If you have a large island area I don't know if there is away out
              to make it avoid the island on going back to the docking station as
              the position of the mower will be random.

              > I think this is the first time we ever hear of this scenario with
              RoboMower, large islands just do not come up too much. I think people
              instead of making islands make them part of the perimeter wire.

              > You may want to post your layout of the yard so we can see if it
              can be rewired to avoid the island. Perhaps, you can break it up in
              two "semi" islands which are parts of the perimeter wire? You may
              create a perimeter that has two wires next to each other (1 ft) and
              the mower will overcome this problem.

              > But since you don't have a RM :o) then it's not an issue.
              >
              > IGGY

            • brianblocher
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
                I'm not completely certain on the length of time. The first time this
                happened I wasn't the one who noticed it and I was told it was out
                there doing circles. When I got out to look at it the mower was very
                sluggish and the battery nearly dead so I assumed it had been stuck
                on it for 30 minutes or so. The second time it happened I watched it
                go around the area about 3-4 times and just moved it manually. I then
                thought of the quick returns and implmented one for a solution.

                On the Robomower, it looks for corners? Such as any 90ish angle in
                the wire? This would work for the lawn they are about to install so
                I'll keep that in mind. However, the first install is free form so
                there are no corners. I wonder what the Robomower would do in that
                case. It would seem they could utilized the compass in this case and
                detect the 360 degree angle change and break off the wire to search
                again. I'll do some testing and let you know.

                Brian