[RoboMower] New to this group

  • Albert Kaltenbaeck
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 31, 2007
      New to this group but had my RL500s for 4 years.

      What is this "Wide Scan" mode?

      How do I access it?

      If it is a software/firmware version deal, are they upgradeable?

      What version of Software/Firmware has it?

      Can the extended blades be put on a RL500 and if so, where do you get
      them?

      Is there any information on servicing the RL500, i.e.: Service Manual

      Thanks
      Albert
    • IGGY & Svetlana
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1, 2007
        Wide scan is a feature of newer model mowers 850 and 1000 introduced 1-2 years ago?

        You can upgrade your software but your mower being as old as it is, you may need a new mother board? - check with tech support.

        Low cut blades can be put on any mower, contact any dealer to buy.

        Service manuals are not distributed to users, only dealers.

        IGGY

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 1, 2007
          I believe (ask my customers within this group) that wide scan is available on the 3.2a and 3.2ix upgrade chips that I supply for self installation (no yellow clamshell removal .... or special tooling to rent or buy if you use my 8 page of illustrated (simple!) step-by-step instructions -- no mechanic or electrical experience necessary).

          If you have 3.19 version or 3.2e version software, as shown on your LCD display, then your Robomower can be upgraded with the 3.2a and 3.2ix upgrade chips. These upgrade chips will ELIMINATE certain hesitations the present in the two older versions as well as use improved subroutines when the mower needs to change direction as well as improved acceleration during certain subroutines. I have customers that say that their mower will now cut their lawn in haf the time with the low cost upgrade. Thus, they can now mow a lawn twice the size with the same battery charge (if the yard zones are set up effectively).

          The 3.19 and 3.2e software are used on two different main boards associated with RL500 and RL550 mowers.

          My business is located within 30 minutes to STC's repair parts warehouse.

          Matt Cooper, Owner of AutoMate Tools
          FR Authorized Sales and Service, specializing in complete and partial upgrades
          (Software, circuit boards, gear sets, etc - a full service company)
          Phone # (214) 538-0409, Located at Mesquite, Texas - Serving all USA Roomier users and mower demonstrations for the Dallas/Fort Worth Area

          IGGY & Svetlana <iggyandsvetlana@...> wrote:

          Wide scan is a feature of newer model mowers 850 and 1000 introduced 1-2 years ago?

          You can upgrade your software but your mower being as old as it is, you may need a new mother board? - check with tech support.

          Low cut blades can be put on any mower, contact any dealer to buy.

          Service manuals are not distributed to users, only dealers.

          IGGY

          New to this group but had my RL500s for 4 years.

          What is this "Wide Scan" mode?

          How do I access it?

          If it is a software/firmware version deal, are they upgradeable?

          What version of Software/Firmware has it?

          Can the extended blades be put on a RL500 and if so, where do you get
          them?

          Is there any information on servicing the RL500, i.e.: Service Manual

          Thanks
          Albert

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Matt Cooper
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 1, 2007
            Please respond today if you can.

            Tell me how long it takes..Answer:
            Do you use a quick charger and two or three sets of power packs. Answer:
            Other info:
            Problems encountered:
            Solutions to those problems:

            Thanks,

            Matt Cooper, Owner of AutoMate Tools
            FR Authorized Sales and Service, specializing in complete and partial upgrades
            (Software, circuit boards, gear sets, etc - a full service company)
            Phone # (214) 538-0409, Located at Mesquite, Texas - Serving all USA Robomower users mower demonstrations for the Dallas/Fort Worth Area

          • A. R. Pennycuff
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 1, 2007
              Yes, wide scan is available on the 3.2a chips.

              Tony

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 1, 2007
                Hi I,ve had my rl 500 for abot 6 years now. I enjoy
                sipping ice tea and watching my robot on the x10
                camera on tv. Especially when it is 90 to 100 degrees
                out lol. Ron Heinz
                --- Matt Cooper <mattcoop2@...> wrote:

                > Please respond today if you can.
                >
                > Tell me how long it takes..Answer:
                > Do you use a quick charger and two or three sets
                > of power packs. Answer:
                > Other info:
                > Problems encountered:
                > Solutions to those problems:
                >

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Matt Cooper, Owner of AutoMate Tools
                > FR Authorized Sales and Service, specializing in
                > complete and partial upgrades
                > (Software, circuit boards, gear sets, etc - a full
                > service company)
                > Phone # (214) 538-0409, Located at Mesquite, Texas
                > - Serving all USA Robomower users mower
                > demonstrations for the Dallas/Fort Worth Area

                > removed]

                Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
              • douglsmith1
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cooper <mattcoop2@...> wrote:

                  > Please respond today if you can.
                  >
                  > Tell me how long it takes..Answer:

                  How long what takes? Mowing? I have the yard divided into three zones. 2 hours for zone
                  a, 3-4 hours for zone b, and 3-6 hours for zone c.

                  > Do you use a quick charger and two or three sets of power packs. Answer:

                  I use a quick charger and seven battery packs. There's a photo on the robomower wiki:
                  http://www.robomowerwiki.com/index.php/Battery_pack

                  > Other info:

                  I have two upgraded RL500 mowers.

                  > Problems encountered:

                  Mowers get stuck and sit in one place with the wheels spinning.

                  > Solutions to those problems:

                  I'm in the process of building a wireless notification system to tell me when the mower is
                  not moving.
                • brianblocher
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
                    William,

                    I have experience with two installs of the Lawnbott. For my house I
                    bought it more because it was something new and fun to do than I
                    needed it. I have three lawns but all are fairly small. A total of
                    maybe 3k sq ft. However, after seeing mine my parents had to have one
                    since they were getting ready to put in a new lawn. Their lawn is
                    ~22k sq ft. There are three seperate lawns(the most the lawnbott can
                    do). The primary zone is probably 10k sq ft alone with the other two
                    almost equally making up the rest of it. The Lawnbott is claming 33k
                    sq ft but I've found that number must be under some ideal conditions.
                    We live in California and their lawn is always heavily fertilized. It
                    wasn't able to keep up with a thick and lush lawn of that size.
                    Lawnbott, however, has the option to run two batteries at the same
                    time so we went ahead and ordered a second battery and this did the
                    trick. Basically it almost doubles the runtime while taking only
                    slightly longer than charging one battery. Before we got 2-2.5 hours
                    runtime with 3 hour charge time. Now we are getting 4.5 hours runtime
                    with 3.5 hours of charge time or so.

                    Now they are getting ready to put in another lawn, this one being 27k
                    sq ft so of course want a second mower. I figured it might be worth
                    getting two Robomowers to cover it instead of one Lawnbott with two
                    batteries for basically the same price and I'm not sure if the
                    Lawnbott will be able to handle it.

                    I noticed the Robomower claims up to 21.5k sq ft so I was curious on
                    how accurate that number was, especially for a very thick and lush
                    lawn.

                    Brian

                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "tinapropes" <tinapropes@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Brian,
                    > Yes the Robomower will continually adjust to maintain the
                    correct
                    > directon. In fact, instead of being called a compass it is called
                    the
                    > direction keeper. I have seen my RL-1000 hit a hole or some other
                    > obstruction in my yard an know if off by 20 to 30 degrees and after
                    > few feet of going in the wrong direction it will correct itself. It
                    > is kind of cool to watch.
                    > How do you like your Lawnbott and how big of an are does it
                    > maintain for you. I have between 1/2 and 3/4 acre for my RL-1000
                    and
                    > it really can not keep up with it. I have been running it for
                    > everyday for the past week and I still have some missed spots. I am
                    > seriously considering trying a Lawnbot but there are not many
                    Lawnbot
                    > owners that post here so I do not know much about how they work in
                    the
                    > real world.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > William
                    >
                    > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "brianblocher" <brianblocher@>
                    wrote:

                    > > That's pretty cool. The lawnbott will sometimes try to turn but
                    > > perhaps gets stuck on something and doesn't turn at all. The drop
                    off
                    > > from my slopped front lawn to the sidewalk for example can do
                    this
                    > > when both front tires drop off the lawn and then it tries to
                    turn.
                    > > Also slopes and such will make it slowly drift downhill. Does the
                    > > Robomower continue to compensate for this or does it only use the
                    > > compass after hitting the perimeter wire to make an initial angle
                    > > change?
                    > >
                    > > Brian
                    > >
                    > > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, IGGY & Svetlana
                    > > <iggyandsvetlana@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > The compass is used to keep the VVVVV mowing pattern. It uses
                    the
                    > > magnetic field of Earth in a particular location (you have to
                    > > calibrate the mower for your specific location)

                  • Trent Eyler
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Howdy, Y'all!

                      I have had my Robomowers (a 500 and an 800) for several years and
                      they are very happy mowing my two zones in the front yard (on the
                      original batteries, kept plugged in all winter long - in Tulsa).

                      We've had some discussions about the distance between the perimeter
                      wire and obstacles, like a fence. My recollection is that the
                      recommended distance is 18". The purpose is to allow the Robomower
                      to edge the perimeter before mowing the interior.

                      In my back yard, I have wooden fences on three sides and a house
                      on most of the rest. This means I will always have to weedwack along
                      the fence, although not necessarily every time Robo mows.

                      I am considering a possible better way:

                      Totally abandon edge mode in the back yard. That way, I could put
                      the perimeter wire about 6-10 inches from the fence and hope to have
                      less weedwacking to do afterwards.

                      I have several questions:

                      Could I run into a problem with bumper sensor failure
                      from hitting the fence every pass?

                      What distance should I put the wire from the fence to
                      let the wire sensor turn it instead of bumping the fence?

                      Has anyone tried this method of mowing for a back yard?

                      Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

                      Thanks,

                      Trent
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007
                        Distance from stuff:

                        1, 2, and 3 pegs.

                        1. Sidewalks and other "non barrier" edges, put the wire about a peg
                        length from the edge.
                        2. "Soft" barriers like flower beds with edges the mower could get on
                        without hurting anything (straw, mulch, etc), put the wire 2 peg length from
                        the edge.
                        3. "Hard" barriers like walls or fences, put the wire about 3 peg
                        lengths away. Note that at corners you may want to "lead" the turn or "lag"
                        the turn depending on the direction of a turn.

                        Set up a test perimeter, lightly staked. Play with it on a couple of 90
                        degree turns (both directions) and watch the mower. It will save you some
                        tinkering after you get the wire down.

                        Dan

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 2, 2007