Robomower RL500 klicks and blincks but is not working?

  • jaag68
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hey guys
      My problem is that inserting the battery (charged) the mower yellow
      light blinks and there is a klicking noise in the controller but
      nothing on the display.
      The dealer CD suggest a bad controller in rare cases.
      Do you have any better ideas?

      Thanks

      Jaag
    • tysamigo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 4, 2007
        Jaag,

        Yes, it is very likely the battery cells in your power pack is faulty. I
        recommend replacing the cells or the power pack.

        Tyler

        In a message dated 1/4/2007 10:41:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        jaag68@... writes:

        Hey guys
        My problem is that inserting the battery (charged) the mower yellow
        light blinks and there is a klicking noise in the controller but
        nothing on the display.
        The dealer CD suggest a bad controller in rare cases.
        Do you have any better ideas?

        Thanks

        Jaag

      • Steve Jones
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 4, 2007
          Jaag,

          The battery would be the first thing to check. Did you actually test the
          battery with a voltmeter?

          Steve Jones
          Probotics

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 4, 2007
            The batteries are only a few month old (bought new ones)
            I checked wit a voltmeter and they show 27V
            one more question. With the batterypack removed, what is your robo doing?
            is it the same? flashing yellow light and no data on the display?

            Jaag
          • jjkaraisz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 4, 2007
              But couldn't you make the same check if you just plug the robomower
              into the power socket with the battery in the robomower? If it does
              not display any data here, then I don't think it could be the battery.

              The batteries are only a few month old (bought new ones)
              I checked wit a voltmeter and they show 27V
              one more question. With the batterypack removed, what is your robo
              doing?
              is it the same? flashing yellow light and no data on the display?

              Jaag

              across the web, free AOL Mail and more.
            • jaag68
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 5, 2007
                Yes I did this and it's the same.
                This is the reason for my question. Does your robo behave the same?
                Without battery, power plugged in and light flashing and nothing
                displayed on the screen?

                Jaag

                --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, jjkaraisz@... wrote:

                > But couldn't you make the same check if you just plug the robomower
                > into the power socket with the battery in the robomower? If it
                does
                > not display any data here, then I don't think it could be the
                battery.

                __

              • beekilher
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 5, 2007
                  Check the internal fuse holders under the black cover in the controler
                  hole. If one of the holders has a loose solder joint this may cause the
                  problem you speak of.
                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "jaag68" <jaag68@...> wrote:

                  > Hey guys
                  > My problem is that inserting the battery (charged) the mower yellow
                  > light blinks and there is a klicking noise in the controller but
                  > nothing on the display.
                  > The dealer CD suggest a bad controller in rare cases.
                  > Do you have any better ideas?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Jaag

                • Tstewartjr
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 5, 2007
                    All good ideas. While battery technology is very relaible, I wouldn't
                    assume the batttery is good just becasue it's new. If the battery is
                    shorted internally, it probably won't allow allow any curent to flow,
                    even from a connected charger. I have experienced this phenomena
                    attempting to jumpstart a vehicle. The car would not even crank
                    until I took the battery out of the circuit. Also putting a volt meter
                    onthe battery dosen't really measure the condition of the battery
                    since there is no load. See what happens to the battery charge when
                    you attempt to start the mower? May provide some aditional
                    information for consideration.

                    Best of luck, Tom Stewart

                    > > My problem is that inserting the battery (charged) the mower yellow
                    > > light blinks and there is a klicking noise in the controller but
                    > > nothing on the display.
                    > > The dealer CD suggest a bad controller in rare cases.
                    > > Do you have any better ideas?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >
                    > > Jaag

                  • jaag68
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 6, 2007
                      Thank you all

                      I will charge the battery with an external charger. (One is already
                      charged and I'm waiting for the other one)
                      After that I let you guys know!

                      Thanks

                      Jaag

                      --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "jaag68" <jaag68@...> wrote:

                      > Hey guys
                      > My problem is that inserting the battery (charged) the mower yellow
                      > light blinks and there is a klicking noise in the controller but
                      > nothing on the display.
                      > The dealer CD suggest a bad controller in rare cases.
                      > Do you have any better ideas?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Jaag

                    • jaag68
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 14, 2007
                        Alright,
                        I charged all batteries and still the same. I used even one spare
                        batterie to replace one by one and still the same.
                        The odds that both batteries died are slim.

                        Some more details to the expert.

                        I bought the batteries new last summer.
                        Used it till oct 06.
                        I think i did not fully load them to store during winter.
                        tried the other days and the result is only a flashing light and a
                        klick at the controller and no/slight display flashing.

                        What could it be.

                        1. Batteries
                        2. Controller
                        3. Mainboard
                        4. ?????

                        Thanks

                        Jaag
                      • peter_gautreau
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 18, 2007
                          Jaag, I still say it's the batteries. I had the same issue with just
                          1 battery (of 3 I had) plugged the other 2 in and everything is
                          fine. Did you indicate how much voltage was coming out of the
                          battery? If the volts are too low the unit won't respond on startup.
                          I would try to replace 1 battery and see if that's the problem.

                          Peter

                          --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "jaag68" <jaag68@...> wrote:

                          > Alright,
                          > I charged all batteries and still the same. I used even one spare
                          > batterie to replace one by one and still the same.
                          > The odds that both batteries died are slim.
                          >
                          > Some more details to the expert.
                          >
                          > I bought the batteries new last summer.
                          > Used it till oct 06.
                          > I think i did not fully load them to store during winter.
                          > tried the other days and the result is only a flashing light and a
                          > klick at the controller and no/slight display flashing.
                          >
                          > What could it be.
                          >
                          > 1. Batteries
                          > 2. Controller
                          > 3. Mainboard
                          > 4. ?????
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > Jaag

                        • peter_gautreau
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 18, 2007
                            Jaag, I still say it's the batteries. I had the same issue with just
                            1 battery (of 3 I had) plugged the other 2 in and everything is
                            fine. Did you indicate how much voltage was coming out of the
                            battery? If the volts are too low the unit won't respond on startup.
                            I would try to replace 1 battery and see if that's the problem.

                            Peter

                            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "jaag68" <jaag68@...> wrote:

                            > Alright,
                            > I charged all batteries and still the same. I used even one spare
                            > batterie to replace one by one and still the same.
                            > The odds that both batteries died are slim.
                            >
                            > Some more details to the expert.
                            >
                            > I bought the batteries new last summer.
                            > Used it till oct 06.
                            > I think i did not fully load them to store during winter.
                            > tried the other days and the result is only a flashing light and a
                            > klick at the controller and no/slight display flashing.
                            >
                            > What could it be.
                            >
                            > 1. Batteries
                            > 2. Controller
                            > 3. Mainboard
                            > 4. ?????
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Jaag

                          • jaag68
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 18, 2007
                              Thanks Peter

                              With the Voltmeter on it and inserted in the robomower it is still
                              26V!! Yes I replaced batteries already, however i will try to get 2
                              new ones.
                              PLEASE can me tell someone, what is YOUR Robo doing without a battery
                              AND the CHARGER attached to the Handcontroller!!!!!

                              Thanks

                              Jaag

                              --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "peter_gautreau"

                            • jjkaraisz@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 20, 2007
                                I don't have an RL 500, but my RL 800, when attached to power, will
                                come on.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 24, 2007
                                  Did you plug in the power with the battery removed?
                                  What is your display showing?

                                  __

                                • jjkaraisz@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 24, 2007
                                    Jaag, was your response addressed to jjkaraisz or Peter, the one having the problem?

                                    Did you plug in the power with the battery removed?
                                    What is your display showing?

                                    Thanks

                                    Jaag

                                    --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, jjkaraisz@... wrote:

                                    > I don't have an RL 500, but my RL 800, when attached to power, will
                                    > come on.

                                    __

                                  • jaag68
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 28, 2007
                                      @jjkaraisz

                                      The response was towards you jjkaraisz

                                      Did you plug in the power with the battery removed?
                                      What is your display showing?

                                      Thanks

                                      Jaag
                                      who has the problems!!!

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 28, 2007
                                        This is JJKARASZ. When I remove the battery and power from the
                                        robomower, and then just plug the power cord back in, the light
                                        flashes, it says always follow the saftey instructions when operating
                                        the mower, then it says charging, after a few seconds it reads ready,
                                        keep charging.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 29, 2007
                                          Thanks
                                          this helps a bit. I got my new batteries today and it is still the
                                          same.
                                          As well my robo is not showing the same behavior as yours. So it must
                                          be some other defect.

                                          Has anyone any idea?

                                          It is still winter, but i live in germany and it takes a while to get
                                          spare parts.

                                          Any help is apprechiated

                                        • Clint D
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 29, 2007
                                            Sounds like a bad charging plug to me.

                                            Clint

                                            jaag68 <jaag68@...> wrote: Thanks

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 29, 2007
                                              It sounds like you may have a defective cradle. I had a defective
                                              cradle that exibited different behavior, but I think the reason for the
                                              issue might still be the same.