Knobby retreads for your slicks!

  • beekilher
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2006
      Use a 20" or larger knobby bicycle tire and rubber cement. Cut the tire
      into two pieces 30" long by 2 1/4" wide. The length will need to be
      trimmed when gluing. Follow the rubber cement instructions for gluing.

      http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9459/img0301vs9.jpg

      The tire can be salvaged from the trash, bought at a garage sale or a
      discount store for less than $7. Rubber cement, you will need more than
      one small tube per wheel. My total cost for three sets is $5 for a
      large can of rubber cement. Harbor Freight sells 10" hand truck tires
      for $4.99 ITEM 30900 when on sale that may work well too.
      Do your math c=pi x d to get the circumference.

      BeeKilHer Buzz! Swat! Splat!
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
        Are blades available that will help with leaf mulching?

        I've got two RL1000's. One with low cut blades and one with high cut
        blades. Neither will "lift" leaves into the blade and mulch them. Man, I'd
        sure like to have some blades that would mulch!

        If a leaf is high enough to hit the blade it gets well mulched, but not many
        are up that high now that the grass has quit growing.

        Anybody know of an option that will do this?

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
          Yeah, I came to the same conclusion! I came up with a plan and did the
          same thing with my tires.

          I screwed them into the plastic at a few points. The trick was the
          joint. I used a Dremel sanding drum to grind off all the tread over a
          1" overlap area, put in under the other end and used the black
          "flexible" cyanoacrylate krazy glue. Put a screw through it near the
          edge. Doesn't want to pull up.

          I was talking to a tech support guy at Robomower and he warned that the
          software was sensitive to tire diameter changes and it would cause it to
          wiggle back and forth instead of going straight. I've seen that
          sometimes but it's pretty rare, normally it's straight.

          If I do it again, I may grind off the remainder of the old tread
          features. Not only would this get rid of the possible software
          compatability problem but right now the end tire width is dangerously
          close to rubbing the bumper, though in the end it does clear it.

          IMHO these bikes tires are much better than the stock tire tread. They
          grip better and they seem to be a lot stronger rubber than the original
          rubber coating. If you've seen them wear down, the tread features are
          actually cast into the plastic, the rubber is just some sort of coating
          on top of it.

          Danny