Question on narrow areas

  • tkhdtv
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2006
      Hi,

      I'm considering purchasing the robomower RL1000, and in reading
      through the manual it looks like I may have trouble with a few areas
      in my yard.

      It says that you shouldn't have areas of less than 5 feet distance
      between the perimeter wire or perimeter and areas to avoid. I'm
      hoping that real world experience will say the manual is overly
      conservative.

      I've got an area of landscaping (border around some trees, filled
      with mulch) that's about 3 feet from the rock edging along the side
      of my house. I'm wondering if the mower would be able to mow that 3
      foot wide strip or not?

      There are also a couple of other areas that narrow down like that as
      well.

      Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

      Regards,

      Todd
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 29, 2006
        As Iggy indicated, that won't work. I've got a couple of areas like that.
        You can mow it in manual mode, or simply get rid of that area.

        Right now I'm mowing mine manually, but when I get around to it I'll be
        eliminating that area by including it in the bed.

        Dan

      • Clint D
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
          Dan and Iggy are right... you'll have to exclude those areas. If you have a weed trimmer you can cut those areas with it when you trim the yard.

          Dan Barclay <Dan@...> wrote: As Iggy indicated, that won't work. I've got a couple of areas like that.
          You can mow it in manual mode, or simply get rid of that area.

          Right now I'm mowing mine manually, but when I get around to it I'll be
          eliminating that area by including it in the bed.

          Dan

        • tsl902003
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
            As everyone has said - the credit answer is this won't work.

            I can tell you however that I have an area roughly 4' wide on one
            side of my house.

            With a lot of trial and error I got the wire laid so that the
            mower will mow most of it when it runs around the perimeter. The
            trick is to put the wire farther from the edge than normal so that
            the wires for each side end up closer to each other than to the edge
            (at least that's how mine ended up). The mower seems to realize that
            it's very close to the other wire and moves away from it so that it
            doesn't follow right over the center of the wire it is on. I don't
            know if that makes sense, but I can tell you it might be possible but
            it will take a fair bit of adjustments on your part.

            Mine gets everything except a strip a few inches wide down the
            center. I get this manually when I take the mower around the house
            to put it away (RL800). One other side effect is occasionally (2-3
            times per season) the mower will manage to get into this small area
            when it is scanning. This invariably leads to it getting stuck as
            it's obviously way to small for it to manuever effectively in there.
            You just have to be aware of that.

            Good luck.

            TL

            --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@...> wrote:

            > Dan and Iggy are right... you'll have to exclude those areas. If
            you have a weed trimmer you can cut those areas with it when you trim
            the yard.

            > Dan Barclay <Dan@...> wrote: As
            Iggy indicated, that won't work. I've got a couple of areas like
            that.
            > You can mow it in manual mode, or simply get rid of that area.
            >
            > Right now I'm mowing mine manually, but when I get around to it
            I'll be
            > eliminating that area by including it in the bed.
            >
            > Dan

          • IGGY & Svetlana
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
              Yes the mower will try to push away from the other wire, so if your area is
              5 ft wide, I'd lay the wires originally 2 ft apart straight in the middle.
              Run the mower several times on edge mode there, see if it pushes away and
              not touches your landscaping on the side with the bumper. Adjust accordingly

              Sincerely,

              IGGY

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
                The success of that will be very sensitive to the actual width. 4' would
                leave enough room for the mower to turn at the end where anything much less
                probably wouldn't.

                Another thing that would work, as Iggy mentioned, is if there is a wide spot
                at the end of the narrow area. In that case it's working sort of like a
                tunnel. The mower can go through a fairly narrow section, then have enough
                room to turn around at the end.

                FWIW, in your case you could neck down just the inlet area which would keep
                the mower from entering on scan, but still be able to mow it like it does
                now.

                Dan

              • tsl902003
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
                  Just to clarify - I measured and my narrow strip is about 55 inches.
                  That's a fair bit more than 3'. You might still pull it off, but it
                  will be tough.

                  TL

                  --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "tsl902003" <thomas-lehman@...>
                  wrote:

                  > As everyone has said - the credit answer is this won't work.
                  >
                  > I can tell you however that I have an area roughly 4' wide on one
                  > side of my house.
                  >
                  > With a lot of trial and error I got the wire laid so that the
                  > mower will mow most of it when it runs around the perimeter. The
                  > trick is to put the wire farther from the edge than normal so that
                  > the wires for each side end up closer to each other than to the
                  edge
                  > (at least that's how mine ended up). The mower seems to realize
                  that
                  > it's very close to the other wire and moves away from it so that it
                  > doesn't follow right over the center of the wire it is on. I don't
                  > know if that makes sense, but I can tell you it might be possible
                  but
                  > it will take a fair bit of adjustments on your part.
                  >
                  > Mine gets everything except a strip a few inches wide down the
                  > center. I get this manually when I take the mower around the house
                  > to put it away (RL800). One other side effect is occasionally (2-3
                  > times per season) the mower will manage to get into this small area
                  > when it is scanning. This invariably leads to it getting stuck as
                  > it's obviously way to small for it to manuever effectively in
                  there.
                  > You just have to be aware of that.
                  >
                  > Good luck.
                  >
                  > TL
                  >
                  > --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <clintd555@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dan and Iggy are right... you'll have to exclude those areas. If
                  > you have a weed trimmer you can cut those areas with it when you
                  trim
                  > the yard.
                  > >

                  > > Dan Barclay <Dan@> wrote: As
                  > Iggy indicated, that won't work. I've got a couple of areas like
                  > that.
                  > > You can mow it in manual mode, or simply get rid of that area.
                  > >
                  > > Right now I'm mowing mine manually, but when I get around to it
                  > I'll be
                  > > eliminating that area by including it in the bed.
                  > >
                  > > Dan

                • tsl902003
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 30, 2006
                    Yeah, I've got it necked down a bit, but it still very rarely sneaks
                    in there. I could probably fix it, but everything else works so well
                    I don't want to mess with it.

                    TL

                    > FWIW, in your case you could neck down just the inlet area which
                    would keep
                    > the mower from entering on scan, but still be able to mow it like it
                    does
                    > now.
                    >
                    > Dan

                  • ga2ia