wanted - robomower smooth or knobby tires

  • mwc_oh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2006
      I have some slopes in my yard and sometimes my Robomower slips. It
      wasn't bad at first, but now it seems like I always need to babysit my
      Robomower.

      My lawn is not wet when I cut it. It's bermuda grass.

      I'd like to try to modify the Robomower rear wheels with spikes - does
      anyone have a spare set of wheels they'd like to part with?

      If anyone else has done something to improve traction, I'd also love
      to hear it!

      Matt
      Atlanta, Georgia
    • patheticforums
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2006
        --- In RoboMower@yahoogroups.com, "mwc_oh" <mkath@...> wrote:

        > I have some slopes in my yard and sometimes my Robomower slips. It
        > wasn't bad at first, but now it seems like I always need to babysit my
        > Robomower.
        >
        > My lawn is not wet when I cut it. It's bermuda grass.
        >
        > I'd like to try to modify the Robomower rear wheels with spikes - does
        > anyone have a spare set of wheels they'd like to part with?
        >
        > If anyone else has done something to improve traction, I'd also love
        > to hear it!
        >
        > Matt
        > Atlanta, Georgia

        I cut some 1/4" thick rubber into 3/4"x1" rectangles and superglued 2
        staggered rows of 11 on each smooth wheel.(inside and outside rows)
        You can buy rubber at any industrial gasket supplier and use a single
        edge razor to cut it easily. About $3 and 30 minutes.
      • John S. Lawler II
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2006
          What I did to add tread to my slick tires was to go to the auto parts store
          and pick up a couple of cheap V belts (fan belt) . I then cut them up into
          short strips and then screwed them into the tire. I didn't care about
          messing up the slick tires because they were already worn anyways and
          screwing into the plastic wasn't going to destroy a non replaceable part on
          the mower anyways.